Looking for a Club/Lease 1.5 Hours from Charlotte

MTumms

Button Buck
Hey guys, I am relocating to Charlotte at the worst time of the year November... I am an avid waterfowl hunter and am looking for a club or lease that I can join. I am willing to drive an hour and a half to kill birds too. I hunt most every weekend, have my own stuff: decoys, blinds, mojos, dog, etc... No need for a guide situation, just need a spot and maybe a few guys who like to kill birds.
Any help or direction any of you fellas could toss my way would be greatly appreciated!

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Good luck! Shoulda stayed in Texas! Hate to sound discouraging but just being straightforward. Not too familiar with the Charlotte area but ill be really surprised if you find what you're asking, most duck clubs are down around the coast and are very pricey. You may find a small club with a swamp or something on it, would be your best chance. May have to even look into south Carolina for that....sure there are a few public opportunities in the area(pee dee river/lakes, lake norman, high rock) when the weather is really good or opening days. Expect company at mentioned places. Good luck tho maybe you'll find something, wish i could help you more and hopefully I'm wrong...welcome to the site tho! I drive 26 hours one way once a year to kill ducks lol. And a 4 hour drive in state is pretty common for me

Last edited:

MTumms

Button Buck
Well that's pretty disappointing... Seems like there is water all over the place and there should be plenty of birds... Hopefully someone has some good info otherwise it'll be a crappy 2 years without any ducks...
As an update, if anyone knows of anything in the area be it in NC or SC i'll be interested, just looking for a starting point. I emailed some DU guys but have yet to hear anything back...
Fingers crossed...

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Welcome to the Atlantic flyway! The only thing probably better than where you are in Texas is the fact we have higher populations of black ducks. We usually kill a handful every year...if you don't find a club or lease another option is finding swamps and talking to the landowner yourself. Be prepared to be turned down a lot. Hard to get in a lot of times unless you know someone in the family or a friend of the family. If all else fails make em an offer they can't refuse. That being said, if you do find a good hole guard it dearly and don't overhunt it. Woodies, mallards, few blacks and teal are mainly what we kill around my parts. More chances for a variety down east but that's a haul from Charlotte. If you're after divers you'll definitely need a boat

Last edited:

gnorris74

Spike
Moved to Charlotte 4 years ago from Maryland, unfortunately the above post is correct. Not much of a chance far as good public hunting. Going to need a boat if you want to hunt public. Find some farms farther to the middle of the state with ponds and swamps and roll the dice. It’s hard out here.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Only the coast has “clubs”. 7,500-32,000 dollars per 60 day season. Several are 250k buy ins prior to dues. Most are booked currently. Normal people don’t join clubs in NC, this isn’t NE Arkansas. No 1,500 dollar duck clubs here.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Look for deer clubs in SC with duck premission in the off season. Good luck. Charlotte is a tough spot. Need to be further toward the coast or find ponds close to those central lakes and scout when the birds show up.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know a club in SC that is primarily a deer club, rather large one that is loaded with swamps and ducks. If they haven't changed they don't allow duck hunting in the evening. They would be a hard 2 hours from you maybe a few minutes over. They have a couple options that include the full package or just small game. Not exactly an ideal situation for you but you would be in ducks and other game also. I will promise you if you get a dose of public hunting here you will understand what I am talking about. If you are Interested let me know and I can tell you who to contact.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
That's over 200 miles from Charlotte. Guess in theory you could be there in 1.5 hours lol...in all seriousness to o.p may have to travel more than originally hoped

He needed an accurate picture of his duck hunting options. Folks in SC guard their ducks like their testicles. Deer clubs? tons of options. Ducks? What's a duck? LOL. I could care less about waterfowl, thank god.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Most guys I know around here who are serious duck hunters, their season looks like this: one big trip, either Arkansas, Louisiana, Canada etc, maybe a draw Hunt or two down east if they’re lucky and perhaps one or two farm pond/swamp shoots when the deer hunters are finished.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
The reality is that Charlotte area is not in a Flyway. Some migratory birds show up in the lakes there but not the 10's of thousands you need to support duck clubs around them. If you look at a flyway map you will see that the Atlantic flyway seems to be east of Hwy 17. There are a lot of ducks killed in NC every year, by far the most of any state on the Atlantic flyway. west of 17 it is mostly wood ducks, ring necks, and some mallards. (primarily swamp and small pond hunting) Not to say you will not kill other species but these are the primary. Some of the central lakes contain divers but that varies by year.

There are lots of gadwall, widgeon, pintails, black ducks, teal, shovlers, and divers in about 7 or 8 coastal counties.(hundreds of thousands) about a 5 hour drive for you. hunt quality is very weather dependent. Full moons suck.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
He needed an accurate picture of his duck hunting options. Folks in SC guard their ducks like their testicles. Deer clubs? tons of options. Ducks? What's a duck? LOL. I could care less about waterfowl, thank god.

I have duck hunted a few times, but never really got that interested in it. I have never been much of a turkey hunter either.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I have duck hunted a few times, but never really got that interested in it. I have never been much of a turkey hunter either.

If I had any in good populations, I'd enjoy hunting them. Our club is more of a deer and hog place. I'm sure I could shoot some wood ducks in our wetter areas in the morning. Turkey numbers seem lean where I hunt.

A coastal hunting mentor of mine was a hunting guide when SC was in its glory years of upland and waterfowl hunting. I love reading his stories. Hell, he remembers when James Island, SC, was nothing but a bird mecca with nary a building in site. Look at it now.

MTumms

Button Buck
I know a club in SC that is primarily a deer club, rather large one that is loaded with swamps and ducks. If they haven't changed they don't allow duck hunting in the evening. They would be a hard 2 hours from you maybe a few minutes over. They have a couple options that include the full package or just small game. Not exactly an ideal situation for you but you would be in ducks and other game also. I will promise you if you get a dose of public hunting here you will understand what I am talking about. If you are Interested let me know and I can tell you who to contact.

At this point I'm interested in anything that can get me pointed in the right direction... I generally kill around 250-300 ducks each season, add equal numbers of geese when I lived in Colorado. Not sure I can go 2 years with only taking a few trips to go get some ducks or geese...

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
At this point I'm interested in anything that can get me pointed in the right direction... I generally kill around 250-300 ducks each season, add equal numbers of geese when I lived in Colorado. Not sure I can go 2 years with only taking a few trips to go get some ducks or geese...
I'd stay in Texas if at all possible?.....we used to kill a lot more birds back in the 90's but it's sad these days for the most part. Especially if youre coming from somewhere with a lot of birds you'll be disappointed. Usually try to get my main fix on our 2 week trip out west each year

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer

You kill a limit of ducks every day of the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I never duck hunted it. I just squirrel and coon hunted it and occasionally turkey. Saw plenty during the day squirrel hunting and ran plenty up at night coon hunting. The two guys that I was friends with would duck hunt occasionally and neither were duck hunters and they were usually successful.

I haven't duck hunted since my last dog died and that was close to 20 years ago.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
I never duck hunted it. I just squirrel and coon hunted it and occasionally turkey. Saw plenty during the day squirrel hunting and ran plenty up at night coon hunting. The two guys that I was friends with would duck hunt occasionally and neither were duck hunters and they were usually successful.

I haven't duck hunted since my last dog died and that was close to 20 years ago.

Think his post was directed at the o.p...somehow you got quoted into it

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer

Yea sorry I was quoting the OP.

MTumms

Button Buck

250 birds is 41.66 days. Not too hard to do in a 90 day duck season and a 20 day teal season...
Look I'm not looking to start a measuring contest, just looking for a little direction on a place to hunt.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer

250 birds is 41.66 days. Not too hard to do in a 90 day duck season and a 20 day teal season...
Look I'm not looking to start a measuring contest, just looking for a little direction on a place to hunt.

Sorry that was taken wrong I’m not trying to have a measuring contest either. I go to Texas every winter to visit family and never though about trying to squeeze in a hunt but I may need to rethink that. I hunt the exact areas you looking to hunt and it’s sad hunting for sure.

MTumms

Button Buck
Sorry that was taken wrong I’m not trying to have a measuring contest either. I go to Texas every winter to visit family and never though about trying to squeeze in a hunt but I may need to rethink that. I hunt the exact areas you looking to hunt and it’s sad hunting for sure.

Gotcha... I used to be a part of a forum that regardless what you said everyone's was bigger and thicker than yours....
Well I'll keep searching... Gonna get expensive going to LA , TX, or AR every weekend.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As a side note I haven't hunted down there in several years. I talked to the fellow that hunts there today and I don't think due to some issues/conflicts the split type hunts are any longer available. It is all or nothing.

If I lived just slightly farther east or didn't have so many critters here that burden my wife with taking care of when I am absent I would be joining that club. My butt would be almost a permanent resident from about mid/end of Sept to mid March. Then to the end of turkey season. I love that place.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer

Gotcha... I used to be a part of a forum that regardless what you said everyone's was bigger and thicker than yours....
Well I'll keep searching... Gonna get expensive going to LA , TX, or AR every weekend.

West Tenn. is the closest place to really get on them.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
MTumms, If you have some friends to join with you and share the cost and do not mind driving to the NC coast (about 5 hours) I can share with you a place where you can usually get your 6 bird limit on most hunts. Hunting is available 4 days a week and there are enough blinds and impoundments that each spot only gets hunted once a week. PM me and I will share with you.

Also, how much would you expect to spend in Texas on a club where you can kill 240 birds a season ?

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
MTumms, If you have some friends to join with you and share the cost and do not mind driving to the NC coast (about 5 hours) I can share with you a place where you can usually get your 6 bird limit on most hunts. Hunting is available 4 days a week and there are enough blinds and impoundments that each spot only gets hunted once a week. PM me and I will share with you.

Also, how much would you expect to spend in Texas on a club where you can kill 240 birds a season ?
That sounds too good to be true, a limit most days. If so I'd be willing to join with him. Dare to hyde? 10 members for 35k package?

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Not dare to Hyde. They make a living letting Raleigh boys shoot ringnecks and spoonbills. 32k annual per membership if we are thinking of the same spot and yes 6 bird limit most days.