Looking for a cell cam

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
just returned a spy point. did not get a signal in a close to town area.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think you have to be within sight of a cell tower for the Spypoint to work.
You guys have me wanting to try the Tactacam reveal just to see how good it is, but I have 3 Spypoints out right now and I've never had a signal problem. One of them, the $99 version, is at least 6 miles from the nearest town and I have no idea where the nearest tower is, but it's darn sure not in sight.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You guys have me wanting to try the Tactacam reveal just to see how good it is, but I have 3 Spypoints out right now and I've never had a signal problem. One of them, the $99 version, is at least 6 miles from the nearest town and I have no idea where the nearest tower is, but it's darn sure not in sight.
The tactacam will do as good if not better than spypoint with 10x better pictures and it will send you photos instantly if you want it too not every 2 hours. I have 4 spypoints and 4 tactacams running and I wont buy another spypoint.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The tactacam will do as good if not better than spypoint with 10x better pictures and it will send you photos instantly if you want it too not every 2 hours. I have 4 spypoints and 4 tactacams running and I wont buy another spypoint.

I'm going to give the tactacam a try when I can find one at a fair price. Their site lists them at $119 and unavailable. I saw them on Amazon for close to $200. I might have to wait until after the season, which is ok because I'm done for this year. BTW, my spypoints are set to send pictures instantly as well. From reading about them, the tactacam uses low glow and I prefer the DARK cameras. But, if the pictures are 10x better, that tips the scales. How many pics do you get for $5 vs $10?

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
How’s the battery life on the tactacam? I’ve heard they go through them pretty quick.
I use the lithium batteries. Have only had to replace one set in 5 cameras in about two months. I think they do run through the regular batteries pretty quick depending on how often you set it to transmit pictures.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use the lithium batteries. Have only had to replace one set in 5 cameras in about two months. I think they do run through the regular batteries pretty quick depending on how often you set it to transmit pictures.
Can you check the battery status on the app?

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
I was being a little sarcastic. I just have had no luck with them. If they are working for you I wouldn't change. The pics you get back on your phone aren't much different in quality.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
is the tactacam camera set up the same as spypoint?
no plan. can start and stop anytime? does it have a free version? (spypoint gives you 100 pics a month free)

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Just for a point of reference, I've had mine Tactacam up for 4 months, took over 4,000 pictures, and just had to replace the batteries; I used lithium.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just for a point of reference, I've had mine Tactacam up for 4 months, took over 4,000 pictures, and just had to replace the batteries; I used lithium.
Good information. I've been wondering how the batteries last. I've switched to Energizer Lithium for everything. They're guaranteed not to leak, but I haven't used them long enough to confirm.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good information. I've been wondering how the batteries last. I've switched to Energizer Lithium for everything. They're guaranteed not to leak, but I haven't used them long enough to confirm.
Lithiums are a must. My tactacams will run about a month set on a corn pile taking around 4500-5500 pictures a month.

82ndAirborneVet

Four Pointer
You can buy them on Ebay but be prepared to pay.
Man Ebay and Amazon are crazy! The Tactacam Reveal was $99 at Walmart and 299.00 at those places.. And so are the skypoints and some of the others. Crazy! Nope don't need one that bad. Will wait until the new ones come out later this spring or get another brand.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
New ones come out May 1st. But be prepared to pull the trigger quickly. With the shortages in sims cards they will likely be hard to get again this time.