Lookin for some feedback about Marlin rifles

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Found a Marlin compact 30-30 lever action. I know folks who have had models similar to the one I found (meaning after Remington bought them). Some have said they didn’t like the quality compared to the JM originals and would never buy another one again bc if that. Other guys have said although they aren’t JM stamped, if they find a decent price on one, they’ll gladly buy one. Other guys are JM purists. I don’t have any stake in the game. Figured y’all wouldn’t mind chiming in. I’d use it on a bear hunt until I kill one and maybe a couple deer hunts. Thanks

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are not nearly the quality of the older Marlins, until recently that is. They are now making some really nice lever action stuff but you'll pay through the nose for it and it still has that stupid safety on it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it functions ok and especially if you can test shoot it and it is at a decent price go for it. As to the safety FORGET it is on there. I prefer the old ones myself.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
The ones they have been putting out lately are better than previous ones from remington. I have a Win 30-30, a Marlin JM stamped 35 Rem and I purchased a Marlin 1894 357 mag this past winter. The reason I posted my older ones is I have some guns to put it up against. I do not have one complaint about my new marlin. It shoots great and very accurate for a lever gun.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
The ones they have been putting out lately are better than previous ones from remington. I have a Win 30-30, a Marlin JM stamped 35 Rem and I purchased a Marlin 1894 357 mag this past winter. The reason I posted my older ones is I have some guns to put it up against. I do not have one complaint about my new marlin. It shoots great and very accurate for a lever gun.
Glad to hear it Mack. Since I posted this they’re already sold out again online🤣 I’ll keep an eye out

RBR

Six Pointer
To remedy that dang cross bolt safety I went to Lowe’s and bought an e-clip. Quick, cheap and can be easily reversed if you ever want to get rid of it.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I love my Marlins most are stamped JM, but I do have one stamped REP. I like it equally as well.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
My dad has a Marlin 336 30/30 lever action. I looked up serial # and it was made in early 1960. Starts with just a "T"

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
So I have a JM stamped 336 that does have the crossbolt safety.
Great rifle for the $325 I paid.

I grew up killing stuff with a 70s model 336 carbine and got used to handling without the safety.

I took clear superglue gel and put a really fine bead around the safety after clicking it off, then turn it over and add another fine bead.

That stuff dries quick and crystallizes to the point where it never gets knocked off in the course of normal handling, but I can tap it with a knife hilt and make it fully operable if I need to lend it to someone.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
exactly,,,like buying Jeeps,,,,anything after 1986 is a chrysler not a jeep,,,,
Ahhhhhhhh you need to back up to 1970, That was when AMC (Rambler) bought out Kaiser that was the start of their downfall. They just fell completely off the rails after 86. My 59 Jeep truck was built like a tank, My 70 was tough, but a conglomeration of things. Buick engine, no fuse panel, inline fuses everywhere.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ahhhhhhhh you need to back up to 1970,

so messed with two Willies back in high school,,,,a 47 and a 48,,,CJ-2A,,,,cool vehicles,,,the drunk arse that owned them (long story on our affiliation) had a fireman's helmet that he put a rotating red light on and would drive around with it flashing, drinking whisky, and normally end up arrested,,,,

first I personally owned was a 75 CJ-5,,,then a 79,,,then a 1983 CJ-8,,,,,miss them things

anyhow,,,back to guns,,,,

The Deer/Bear have no clue as to whether it was a JM or not.

of course they don't,,,,but like all things Man uses/consumes,,,some prefer the finer things,,,some make due with rotgut,,,

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Appreciate yalls feedback. Thanks for taking the time to do so. Oddly enough, I found a used Winchester model 94 for sale near the house. Pretty sure it’s from the 70s. Will let you know this week but it’s mine if I want it.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Appreciate yalls feedback. Thanks for taking the time to do so. Oddly enough, I found a used Winchester model 94 for sale near the house. Pretty sure it’s from the 70s. Will let you know this week but it’s mine if I want it.

get it if the price it right.... dont get me wrong I luv marlins.I have more Marlins than winchesters but the Winchesters are nice,
They fit most people better than marlins and are faster . Marlins are little more beefier but that makes them not handle as good as winnies.