Longest Squirrel to date 119 yards

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
My longest this year was 62 yards and I thought that that was good. 119 yards is amazing.

62 yards is impressive. Not everyone can make that shot. I find the really close ones 15 yards and closer, are the ones that bug me when I miss. Gotta know your holdovers at any range.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Nate, heck of a shot there. Good video. I have taken two crows out of top of a pine tree on my place....both at 104 yds with a Winchester 69A LR with a 2 x 7 scope CCI Velocitor 40 gr.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Now that crow yardages are in question...I’ve seen (1) at 204 yards and another at 265yards. Both verified with a rangefinder. 265 was with 17hmr and 204 was iron sights on a cz 452.

Come to think of it, there are (2) at 204 and one of those was a nylon 66 after a few tries.

One of my old bosses took one from the barn to the fence post. That was 350ish. That’s the most impressive I have seen.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Patterson, that is getting it done right there. 100 yds long way with a 22 iron sights. In my younger days with 20/20 I could pick squirrels out of tree tops at 100 with irons, but can't now have to have glass. Remember those days and cherish them they won't last forever.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I didn’t say I had only seen it tried once lol.

At the time we would get together and try to break clays on a berm at 200 with iron sights offhand. More misses than hits, but all was fun.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
22lr ballistics at 300 supposed to be comparable to 308 at 1k. I’ve heard that a few times. Guessing new 205-215 gr hybrid bullets for .308 might change that a bit. I can shoot satisfactory at 100 on a bench, if I tried open sights at 200 on a bird it would start another 22 ammo shortage crisis

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The rimfires are just so inconsistent at any distance. Shooting long shots takes a lot of luck with them. I imagine even from a machine, the groups would be pretty ugly.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I didn’t say I had only seen it tried once lol.

At the time we would get together and try to break clays on a berm at 200 with iron sights offhand. More misses than hits, but all was fun.

We've done that with 45/70's. Hits or misses were easily seen with those big 300 gr and 405 gr bullets. Once the drop was figured hits were surprisingly more than misses.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Getcha a .17 HMR and you can go out much further.

I am range limited with my .22 lr. It wears a can, and shoots CCI standard velocity with a whisper - but has a rainbow trajectory. Dead on at 50, but massive point of impact change if you move 15 yards either way

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The rimfires are just so inconsistent at any distance. Shooting long shots takes a lot of luck with them. I imagine even from a machine, the groups would be pretty ugly.

Since last summer I have become a regular on rimfirecentral.com since I became a CZ owner and am really enjoying the rimfire competition offered on that site. That is how I came to know Natebonebuster . If you want to see some consistency in .22 shooting go there and check out the monthly competition at 100 yds. with stock sporter rifles in the CZ forum. There is also a very good thread titled "50 at 200" where a guy has been posting reports on the consistency of different ammo by shooting 50 rounds at 200 yds and posting pictures of the spreads. Really interesting stuff. Trust me....... what Nate posted was a result of good equipment, knowing your equipment and practice. No, he won't hit every squirrel in the head at 100 but I'll bet his averages will be far better than most here.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
Getcha a .17 HMR and you can go out much further.

I am range limited with my .22 lr. It wears a can, and shoots CCI standard velocity with a whisper - but has a rainbow trajectory. Dead on at 50, but massive point of impact change if you move 15 yards either way

I've got one, and it may be getting threaded eventually. I'll take the quietness and lobbing a .22 subsonic in over the sonic crack that the 17hmr produces. If you miss on the first shot of that 17hmr, you'll clear the area. I shot at a squirrel just before the 119 yarder at 139 yards and threw 5 rounds before that squirrel relocated. You won't have that option with the 17hmr, however you may make your hit on the first shot.

I like and appreciate the 17hmr, but the noise is my deal breaker.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
.17 her has very little power as you get further out. Try a 2 liter bottle full of water at 200 yards. A 22 will penetrate, my 17 would only scratch the label off.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t remember what bullets they were. I was surprised. I don’t think you have but about 30lbs of energy left. The .22 will carry a touch more.

The .17 is very neat, but like most small fast cartridges, the velocity falls off quick.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t remember what bullets they were. I was surprised. I don’t think you have but about 30lbs of energy left. The .22 will carry a touch more.

The .17 is very neat, but like most small fast cartridges, the velocity falls off quick.

Maybe it was a fluke. I don't see any expansion shooting .17HMR much past 150 yards but the little bullet still penetrates really well at that distance. I've found the poly tips sheared off in milk/soda containers at 200 yards with a small entry and exit hole to be the norm.

<>< Fish