Longest shot....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for all the replies. Gonna take heed of all the advice given since I've never hunted with an Xbow, and it's much appreciated. The Xbow is loud when the string is released.

Since we're working a lot of overtime because of the Rona, hunting time is limited this year. Originally intended to hunt from our anchored boat, but now I'm re-thinking that strategy because of the advice given (distance).

Several of the places we fish Kerr Scott Lake is along the wildlife management areas, and we've seen tons of deer most every evening before dark, just wandering down to the edge of the lake, grazing like a herd of cattle. They pay no heed to our boat while we're fishing. However, they're typically 40-60 yards away from where we're usually anchored. Mostly does, but I'm an equal opportunity Hunter when it comes to filling the freezer. I'm thinking now - what I'll do is go early, take a stand, and get set up back in the edges where the deer enter the open late in the evening. That would put me at a closer range, 15-25 yards max....

Thanks again for the advice...
"he xbow is loud" comment seals the deal on you needing to have them close.
Good Luck when you go. Archery season extends our time in the woods during some great times to kill one before the masses hit the woods.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
I recently saw a video produced by a big name biologist when it comes to whitetails. Basically it analyzed the differences in reaction in deer who had their head down at the shot and those who had their head up at the shot, with archery equipment of course. Deer that had their heads up reacted slower to the sound of the bow than those that had their head down. A deer with its head down was able to drop down and move quicker than the deer with its head up. It’s on YouTube and may prove helpful to plan out when you are going to take the shot.

Kane_b

Six Pointer
Thanks for all the replies. Gonna take heed of all the advice given since I've never hunted with an Xbow, and it's much appreciated. The Xbow is loud when the string is released.

Since we're working a lot of overtime because of the Rona, hunting time is limited this year. Originally intended to hunt from our anchored boat, but now I'm re-thinking that strategy because of the advice given (distance).

Several of the places we fish Kerr Scott Lake is along the wildlife management areas, and we've seen tons of deer most every evening before dark, just wandering down to the edge of the lake, grazing like a herd of cattle. They pay no heed to our boat while we're fishing. However, they're typically 40-60 yards away from where we're usually anchored. Mostly does, but I'm an equal opportunity Hunter when it comes to filling the freezer. I'm thinking now - what I'll do is go early, take a stand, and get set up back in the edges where the deer enter the open late in the evening. That would put me at a closer range, 15-25 yards max....

Thanks again for the advice...

I really want to see that come together, it sounds like a great plan. Take pics and keep posted!

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I really want to see that come together, it sounds like a great plan. Take pics and keep posted!

The boat hunt hasn't come together just yet because of the Rona, and being called in to our Hospital so much. I'm waiting by my phone this evening, hoping I won't have to go in tonight. I've only been in the field X2 since bow season began. However, there's a doe bedding behind our chicken coop, and makes herself known just about every day. Torn between taking her, or not, but I think I'll let her walk, and let her reproduce for a couple more years. (Just reset my camera to the correct month since it was wrong. Should be 10/13/20)

20201014_152520.png20201014_152556.png

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I work at Academy. If you bought it in Winston, I put it together. I got my wife the same crossbow and its a solid bow for the price. I shot Rage Hypodermics and they hit the same place as field tips. Wife wanted fixed blades do we went with G5 Strikers. Had to tweak the scope to resight it in. Shoots great! The buck she shot last week was at 32 yards and piled up at about 50 yards.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Oh, as others have said her longest shot will be about 35 yards. Like Eric, I always aim a touch low past 30 yards to account for the deer potentially ducking.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
This is a group from my xcal at 80 yards posting it for two reasons one to show how tight they can shoot when they're sighted in tuned correctly 2 to show how a shot can be pulled I knew when I fired that upper left shot that I had pulled it up and left I even said I pulled that one up and left. Every mistake is magnified with a bow even a crossbow.

My Slick Trick broadheads also group low and left from my field points at 80 yards about 4 in, but they group just as tight I have now reset my scope for the broadheads and while I group well enough to take a shot at 80 yards 40 to 50 would be my Max.

Attachments

• 20200913_174449.jpg
    20200913_174449.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 15

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Thanks to the "Rona," our "boat hunting trip" never materialized this year - due to working so many Covid shifts.
Hopefully it'll be a whole different story next year, unless this Chinese Bioweapon is still around next fall.

Only had the opportunity to go ~5-6 times this season - this morning being my last, until 2021.

I'm on deck to work nights tonight thru this weekend, and then some...., so good luck to those hunting this evening and tomorrow.

At least I know my camouflage is good to go 😁 (hunting public lands along Kerr Scott Lake - since we're new residents in Wilkes-slowly figuring out where to go).

Around day break this morning I could hear several Deer waking my direction (definitely not squirrels 😁). Suddenly they took off running. Figured I was totally scented since I was on the ground in a makeshift blind.

However, roughly 5 minutes later, after being flagged by the herd, 2 squirrel hunters walked within 10 yards from where I had set up on the ground. They hadn't a clue I was sitting there, and they didn't see me.

This is the first year since ~1992 I haven't harvested some meat for our freezer.
Maybe next year....

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Now that the Chinese Virus has practically gone away, I was able to get my boat out on the lake today. This is where (prior to the lockdown, nearly a year ago) we've seen herds of deer grazing in the evenings like cattle. Lol. The goal next week is scouting where all the white oaks are. Still torn between hunting from the boat or putting up a tree stand.20210308_171522.jpg

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This is the only game lands on Kerr Scott lake that is only accessible via boat. Anyone from Wilkes that would like to chime in, I'm all ears. I'll take all the pointers I can get.