Long read, but I laughed all through it.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I don't understand why Remington feels the need to put out any bolt action other than the 700.
They must make a lot of money off them. Remember when you could get a 700 ADL for like $349 from Wally World.....there was no better "budget" rifle.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I don't understand why Remington feels the need to put out any bolt action other than the 700.
They must make a lot of money off them. Remember when you could get a 700 ADL for like $349 from Wally World.....there was no better "budget" rifle.

Yep. I saved $500 and got an ADL and an Atec when I was 15. Both new. I thought I was trotting in high cotton

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I never had a really expensive rifle. M70s and 700s mostly. Never been a fan of a Browning, not that it may not be a fine rifle, just not to my liking. But he hit the nail on the head and didn't pull any punches.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Any more most are turning out some crap.

Remington of today has got to be the worst trash and crap that can be found.
Their 700 is not the same and just went down hill fast.
Maybe recall after recall = cutting corners and taking short cuts just to sell.
Most there new 700's need fitting, triggers and other work.
Sad cause at one point they were great.

now for the normal normal guns out there that most get...
It is very hard to get better then the ruger m77 and Hawkeye line of guns.
They for the most part are GTG and come with rings. That there saves you 60 to 90$ just there.
They back and stand behind them 100%.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
David Petzal wrote for field and stream...
"In the 1980s, watch designers developed the oscillating-crystal movement. As a result, it's now possible to build a watch for $39.72 that tells better time than a masterpiece of the horologer's art that has a conventional spring-driven movement and a price tag of $39,720. The watch guys proved that cheap does not have to mean inaccurate.

Same with rifles. The people who make them have figured out how to construct a gun that costs $300 but will shoot as well as a rifle that costs $3,000. Such a rifle will not be pretty, nor will it be finely made. The truth of the matter is that this sort of rifle may not be made well at all. But it will function, and it will be very accurate.
The secret to such astounding (and inexpensive) accuracy? Stiffness. If you design a rifle that can't twist, warp, squirm, or flex when you pull the trigger, that gun is going to shoot like nobody's business. These days, every manufacturer knows how to do that."
That's why they all have tiny ejection ports.

Last edited: