Long Range Deer Hunting Pistols Advice?

Ahi2mahi

Hi, I'm new to hunting and to this forum. Last year I went deer hunting for the first time and got hooked! I used a rifle but was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on using a long range pistol for deer hunting. I'm thinking 200-250 yards for range with enough energy to put a deer down but not with really high recoil. I have a .44 mag. but found that in open fields I didn't have enough range. If you hunted with long range pistols, I would like to get your opinions as to what to look for in calibers pros and cons. I'm leaning on a Thompson Center because of the barrel change feature but would be open to makes. Not looking for paper punching but for deer medicine in a small package. Thanks

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Watched another hunter put down a doe at 225 paces with a 7-30 Waters out of a Contender.

robertc

Eight Pointer
I have a scoped .44 mag with a 7.5 inch barrel that I hunt with. Its sighted in for a 100 yards but my longest shot has been 60 yards. I Don't think I would be comfortable much over 125 yards. But that's just me. I have shot a Thompson Center Contender in .35 Remington that was awesome.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I shot Contenders exclusively for years back in the day. I think if I were looking for a hunting pistol with the utmost accuracy in a great caliber I'd look at the Contender with a custom 308 barrel from Mike Bellm...

Ahi2mahi

What would the recoil be like on a .308 pistol? I would hate to dread the recoil every time I pulled the trigger. I shot the .243 in a rifle and that was really mild. I shoot a .308 semi and that's not too bad. Will the .243 still have enough knock down energy at 200 yards in a pistol barrel length? I don't reload, so will rely on factory ammo.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Even with modern propellants that provide surprising velocities from shorter pistol length barrels there is always going to be a tradeoff with energy and recoil, especially with a pistol. Something in the 7mm-08 or .260 Rem range will most likely be a comfortable medium that gives you enough energy with an adequate projectile to humanely dispatch a deer at 250+/- without the punishing recoil of something like a 460 S&W.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I wouldn't choose a pistol for long range shooting to begin with. For me, its a question of choosing the correct tool for the task. Having said that, I'm sure these guys will steer you right.

Old Coach

Four Pointer
I use a T/C Contender with a 30-30AI custom bbl.
125grn Nosler BT running 2600fps.
Sighted in at 100yds it is capable of 200-250yds.
Trouble is holding it still enought to shoot LR with a scope.
A REAL GOOD rest is needed.
It will shoot 5/8" groups @100 off the bench, but that is not a hunting rest.
Lots of practice is neede to go LR with a pistol.

Coach

Big Country

Ten Pointer
I have an encore in 308 and I shoot full house reloads in mine, have shot some factory loads in it. The recoil is not as bad as you would think, it is actually very manageable. One in 7mm08 would also be a good choice I would imagine. Mine has a 15" barrel, as others have stated you will need a good rest to shoot from if you are planning to shoot 200 yards or more.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thompson Center Contender in one of their rifle calibers would be your best bet. That being said, I'd have to say your range of 200 - 250 yards is a bit on the extreme side for just starting out.

HandGun

Six Pointer
What would the recoil be like on a .308 pistol? I would hate to dread the recoil every time I pulled the trigger. I shot the .243 in a rifle and that was really mild. I shoot a .308 semi and that's not too bad. Will the .243 still have enough knock down energy at 200 yards in a pistol barrel length? I don't reload, so will rely on factory ammo.

It's not too bad, just don't have your elbow on anything hard....

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
TC contender in 30-30 improved and you can shoot factory 30-30 ammo in it if you wish. Got a Contender with 6 barrels and I wont shoot past 200 or so but I would bet that my Tc woud knock one in the dirt at that range but like someone said you had better have a good rest. Note. I prefer the Contender over the encore cause it weighs less and is less bulky and I don't want a caliber that can shoot them over 200 yds or so.

This one was 101 yds and she was DRT.

SDC11762.JPG

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I wouldnt mind taking a few with my 44 mag and plan on trying this year, but 200-250 yards is a lil on the max side of pistol shooting. Heck alotta if hunters cant accurately shoot that with a rifle lol. Good luck tho, TC makes some good rigs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I would practice, practice, practice at 200 yards but to be honest I think it is fool hardy to shoot at a game animal at that distance with a pistol. That is a long way with a rifle offhand! The big challenge is consistency. Can you hit an 8 inch pie plate at 200 yards EVERY TIME? You hear of guys killing deer at extreme ranges all of the time, but was that luck or was that skill? Can they do it every time? More importantly, how many did they cripple up before they killed one? I have shot deer out to 300-400 yards quite often but from a solid rest and I practice every afternoon on a 300 yard range with rifles that are sighted in dead-on at 300!

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I would practice, practice, practice at 200 yards but to be honest I think it is fool hardy to shoot at a game animal at that distance with a pistol. That is a long way with a rifle offhand! The big challenge is consistency. Can you hit an 8 inch pie plate at 200 yards EVERY TIME? You hear of guys killing deer at extreme ranges all of the time, but was that luck or was that skill? Can they do it every time? More importantly, how many did they cripple up before they killed one? I have shot deer out to 300-400 yards quite often but from a solid rest and I practice every afternoon on a 300 yard range with rifles that are sighted in dead-on at 300!

Best advice yet!

As to the potential of pistols at long range (speaking of those like an XP, Encore, etc with longer barrels) they are inherently more accurate than most rifles as a shorter barrel is stiffer and has less harmonic distortion as the bullet travels down the pipe. But the practice does play out as there is less physical contact with the gun making technique (and a dead solid rest) paramount. I've seen some pretty impressive groups shot at 200 yards (sub 1" good) with pistols but the people had dialed in their ammo like one would do with a rifle and they had thousands of rounds downrange.

Ahi2mahi

That S&W 460 looks impressive. From what I've been reading on other websites is "sight in at 200 yards with no holdover." And with a brake is recoil not so bad....hmmm.
Big Country, do you take your Encore .308 on hunts? I have a semi in .308 and the caliber commonality would make it nice. Does your Encore have a brake?
I know long range pistol shooting will take practice. I have been shooting pistols for the last twenty something years, just not at animals. I won't take shots that I have not proven I can make and not have the confidence to hit the target. Last year with .44 mag in hand, I passed on shooting at a deer at 100 yards, didn't ever raise the pistol. Now if it was 50 yards...different story. I'm just looking for something I can practice develop my skill set and use in the field. There is also a possibility of moving West so long range would benefit. The 7mm-08 ballistically looks very good.