Lone Wolf hang-on/sticks users....I have a Q or two

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been using LW stands (climbers) for +/- 10 yrs. I have a LW saddle bag attached to the seat of my flip seat hand climber. In it, I have my release aid, bow hook, haul line and my tether. It's a really good self-contained (convenient) way to do things. I also realize I'm missing out on getting in the exact tree(s) I sometimes want to get it (using a climber). I always thought the lock-on/sticks were a little risky, but my new lineman's rope makes things much easier.

If you use the lock-on/sticks, I want to know:

1. How do you handle your bow, once you get to height?

2. How long does it take you to get set up (4 sticks)? In your opinion, is it more or less work (worried about sweating) than a climber?

3. Are you tethered 100% of the time?

4. Which platform are you using? Why did you choose that particular model? How big a boy are ya? Do you wish you'd gotten a bigger platform (Alpha)?

I will always have a LW climber, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to add this to the arsenal. I'm guessing I could get it down to being up and set in 5-7 minutes, but that's a semi-educated guess.

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
I typically leave my set ups up so I'm not an expert on the subject but I have did the hang and hunt thing a few times. A few things I did was convert a few sticks with the rope modifications that allows them to be used on larger trees. That system is also more quiet due to not having buckles that could clang around.

I didn't care to climb with "everything" like bow and backpack so I just tied a pull rope on my side and when I got all set up I just pulled my gear up.

Your in better shape than most guys so a set up in 10 minutes could be possible but not for this guy lol. I switched to a rock climbing harness and use the ropeman 1 ascender device. I'm always tethered.

slickheadslayer

Six Pointer
My setup is lone wolf sticks and a Millennium M100 stand. I chose this stand for comfort and space. I am 5'10 and 210 lbs.

I have no problem getting in a tree with this setup in 10 minutes(this is time from getting to base of tree to being up in place). I imagine it would be faster and simpler if you had a lone wolf stand with the stick quiver. It is more work then a climber but I can get in near about any tree that I want that is big enough to put a stand in.

My process of setting up - I tie a string from me to my stand, then a string from my stand to my bow. I put the first step up then hang the rest of my steps from my HSS harness. I use my lineman's strap to get up the tree. Once to the top, I tether to the tree, pull up my stand, place in on the tree. Once in the stand I pull my bow up and I am done.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I've been using LW stands (climbers) for +/- 10 yrs. I have a LW saddle bag attached to the seat of my flip seat hand climber. In it, I have my release aid, bow hook, haul line and my tether. It's a really good self-contained (convenient) way to do things. I also realize I'm missing out on getting in the exact tree(s) I sometimes want to get it (using a climber). I always thought the lock-on/sticks were a little risky, but my new lineman's rope makes things much easier.

If you use the lock-on/sticks, I want to know:

1. How do you handle your bow, once you get to height?

2. How long does it take you to get set up (4 sticks)? In your opinion, is it more or less work (worried about sweating) than a climber?

3. Are you tethered 100% of the time?

4. Which platform are you using? Why did you choose that particular model? How big a boy are ya? Do you wish you'd gotten a bigger platform (Alpha)?

I will always have a LW climber, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to add this to the arsenal. I'm guessing I could get it down to being up and set in 5-7 minutes, but that's a semi-educated guess.

I use 4 lone wolf sticks and a millennium stand. I put up all four sticks, pull up the stand, then pull up my bow. Takes 2-3 ropes depending on how heavy my pack is. I stay tied in the entire time.

It is definitely more work than a climber, but you can literally climb any tree, and generally set up in a tree with tons of cover if you find one. I hang my bow on the ezy climb bow holder. It takes me about 15 minutes if I'm trying to be super quiet and in the dark. Faster if daylight. Bigger the better as far as platforms. I prefer aluminum, since they are lighter, and comfort is required. Hard to sit still if your body is uncomfortable. I'm 6' and 170lbs. 48 years old. The older I get the less need I see for a system like this. I guess I'm just getting lazy. If I like a spot that much, I just buy a 21' ladder stand and put it up. I mostly used that set up on DIY hunts in Ohio and Iowa and new spots locally.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks guys. With the climber, I have my system down. I don't carry any "equip" in. It's all self-contained (in the LW saddle bag). I was smart enough to buy a spare, several years ago, so I could prob. attach it to the new stand and have a similar setup.

Spoon......I have the ropeman #1, also. Great tool. I picked up 90 acres in Stokes Co., and I can access it via the Dan River (if I want to). I thought this might be the ticket for that.

It always bugs me to have to move 15+ yds to get in a climbable tree.....when there's one that would work for this setup that's in THE spot.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I just can't see the lone wolf and climbing sticks being more efficient than the lone wolf hand climber for 90% of uses. There may be a couple setups where you don't have a good tree for a climber, but i would rather hang up the lock on and leave it all season if that's the case.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I didn’t have to worry about theft, I’d have really nice gear in the woods and would climb once in a blue moon.

Sadly, my “fellow hunter” rarely misses an opportunity to disappoint me.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I just can't see the lone wolf and climbing sticks being more efficient than the lone wolf hand climber for 90% of uses. There may be a couple setups where you don't have a good tree for a climber, but i would rather hang up the lock on and leave it all season if that's the case.

Bowhunting scrubby areas where you can’t really climb where you need to in order to be in the “killing zone”. For a guy who uses every weapon you can hunt with in NC, I agree a good climber is all you need 90% of the time. I’m actually quieter and faster with the climber than hang-on but that’s just because I have 20 years of practice using one lol. BUT it came in handy hunting a marshy area in October because I could climb the scrawny, crooked tree I needed to In Order to hunt a suspected bedding area.

Gilly

Ten Pointer
The new saddle systems like the Tethrd Mantis have peaked my interest. Rolls up into the size of a softball and weighs virtually nothing. Still researching climbing sticks, platforms, and how to climb up the tree around branches. I might try and sell a few stands and give the saddles a try.