Logging Question

SM270

Ten Pointer
Looking at a piece of property to lease. 102 acres. About 65-70 acres of timber rest is AG field. I know they are going to clear cut the timber in 2 weeks. Minus what trees the owner has marked to stay. And the buffer they must leave along the creek system. Question is do you go ahead and lease it knowing the timber situation?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
depends, sometimes the timber being cut will mess it up for awhile if it's not surrounded by other woods. If you're in it for the long haul I'd say keep it, if it's year by year I'd pass.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Looking at a piece of property to lease. 102 acres. About 65-70 acres of timber rest is AG field. I know they are going to clear cut the timber in 2 weeks. Minus what trees the owner has marked to stay. And the buffer they must leave along the creek system. Question is do you go ahead and lease it knowing the timber situation?

Do you have other places to hunt ? If so and you really want this place tgen give it a shot.

See how the logging affects it next season then decide about the long term.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I would lease it. A friend of mine has hunted my in-laws farm for 20+ years. I started hunting again about 8 years ago. Over that time a full plant, thin, harvest, & replant cycle has occurred. The box stands are in the exact same spots through each of those periods & we still have success from them. The deer use similar trails through the property despite the changes. Now, to be sure, the activity during the season in the open areas does become more nocturnal, but those creek buffers & edges by food still get traffic during shooting light.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Will they be leaving the tops and slash?

If so, I'd lease it in a minute.

When my dad's property was logged, they cut half of it finishing in October. Then moved over the hill.
I hunted the cut portion while they were over the hill and cleaned up.

If they are starting in two weeks and leaving the slash, it ought to be just right to hold deer this fall.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've watched deer coming out of the woods as the guys were shutting down for the evening. Yeah I'd lease it.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Absolutely get it. If they start in 2 weeks they should be done in plenty of time for some new growth to start back before the fall. Some of your best hunting will be the next 3-5 years depending on growth rate (soil, weather, etc).

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, killed a many a deer in a fresh clear cut. If the tops are left deer will bed in and beside them. Should be plenty of new growth deer like to browse on too. Don't turn down a property you have a chance to lease, if you can afford it.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Yes.

If the timber was planted pines, the deer weren’t eating anything out of there anyway.

If it was mixed hardwoods, they were eating the acorns of a few trees.

When it’s a cutover, lots of nice browse will spring up this summer.
AND
Deer, like us, are lazy and creatures of habit.

They’re generally going to walk the same trails and paths they did before to get from A to B. There are probably brushy spots that will remain where they bed and the pastures/crop fields where they eat. Sure, the white oaks will be gone, but the deer won’t.

the best part is you can put a single box stand in the middle of that cutover and shoot ‘em up.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Absolutely. Heck, probably by the end of this year, you'll be surprised how much browse/cover you have. Get out there and build some box blinds as soon as they're done.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Like others have said ,clear trails and shooting lanes if possible . Keep an eye out for any larger oaks that may have not been cut in or on the edge of the clearcut. With additional sunlit and space they may produce record crops of acorn in years to come . Those can be excellent stand location if you can get to them. Good luck...

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Hunting near loggers is great.

Sadly, the white balance washed out the rack. This was a 10pt I killed that the loggers scared up starting their equipment on the other side of the hill. Since they hadn't really tidied the place up, they were kind enough to haul him out for me.

Untitled.png

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hunting near loggers is great.

Sadly, the white balance washed out the rack. This was a 10pt I killed that the loggers scared up starting their equipment on the other side of the hill. Since they hadn't really tidied the place up, they were kind enough to haul him out for me.

View attachment 63455
I’ve killed a bunch off of logging equipment when the crew has shut down for the day.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Depends on the location as others have said. Ive hunted post clear cut places plenty with success but honestly it ruined one of my best farms. Havent killed a deer there since 2009

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I just this past summer leased 300~ acres on the Little river in the Uhwarries. we knew it was just going to be cut after we leased it but I fir sure can tell you that when the pines they just planted start growing thant in a year or 2 it is going to be rabbit and deer heaven.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
My neighbor cut his timber two years ago and it regenerated in pines and mixed hardwoods. He then came in last summer and aerial sprayed it to kill all of the hardwoods and most of the shrubs and forbs. Now it is just a pine stand with a few remnant greenbrier vines. So I would find out how the landowner plans to manage it after he logs it. Spraying and planting pines will reduce the wildlife value and I wouldn't pay much for it unless you can draw deer from adjoining lands by baiting or planting something of value. The days of having forbs and grasses coming back (browse and cover) after logging are getting fewer as landowners spray and plant pines, at least on the coastal plain. Some of the residual herbicides will persist for several years in order to reduce competition and allow the pines to grow and dominate the stand. In the past cutovers provided 5-7 years of habitat before the canopy would close. Now, if "properly" managed the canopy will close in 3-5 years.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Like its already been said if the property borders wooded areas the deer will be back. Most any disturbed ground is going to be covered with head high weeds and small trees after the second summer. Super bedding area