Lodging

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
What do you all normally do when traveling out of town/state for trips? I’m in the process of booking hotel rooms for my 3 trips this year….cost for 3 night stays is just as much as out of state license, if not more.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I've slept many night in vehicle my preference is always to camp. I might get cheap room on occasion but don't wanna be tied to a hotel room with a reservation in case need move areas of state which has happened few times or tag out early and be ready move on. My opinion isvsave the hotel money use it for gas or more tags. There are some things I cheap out on like where I lay my head cause I don't spend that much time there anyway or food cause in can live off beans and bologna sandwiches with some good cafe hot meals mixed in but I don't care to burn gas or license fees.

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
I've slept many night in vehicle my preference is always to camp. I might get cheap room on occasion but don't wanna be tied to a hotel room with a reservation in case need move areas of state which has happened few times or tag out early and be ready move on. My opinion isvsave the hotel money use it for gas or more tags. There are some things I cheap out on like where I lay my head cause I don't spend that much time there anyway or food cause in can live off beans and bologna sandwiches with some good cafe hot meals mixed in but I don't care to burn gas or license fees.
When you sleep in vehicle are you parked at the gate you want to hunt or in a Walmart parking lot (something similar)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
When you sleep in vehicle are you parked at the gate you want to hunt or in a Walmart parking lot (something similar)
I don't prefer the parking lot to noisy for me but I will if have to spent plenty nights at gate or some side rd on public but only short stay. Older I get more I like stretch out little so I always try pitch tent when possible most places won't let you setup camp at gates so does make for drive sometimes to campground then others can walk right out camp to hunt. What state you headed to?

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
I don't prefer the parking lot to noisy for me but I will if have to spent plenty nights at gate or some side rd on public but only short stay. Older I get more I like stretch out little so I always try pitch tent when possible most places won't let you setup camp at gates so does make for drive sometimes to campground then others can walk right out camp to hunt. What state you headed to?
I have a permit for VA mid April then one of my permits for NC is a 2 hr 30 min drive from my house so trying to figure out something for that so I’m not driving back and forth each day. Then another permit for nc is 4 hours away.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Do the permit hunts have campgrounds or check local public grounds see if they have any not to far of drive. Might can even find private either way be cheaper. Va I'm familiar with but not the permit hunts there just the man area. I feel your pain we live in same general area long drives to lots those permits but hey at least your in game by getting drawn.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I have a permit for VA mid April then one of my permits for NC is a 2 hr 30 min drive from my house so trying to figure out something for that so I’m not driving back and forth each day. Then another permit for nc is 4 hours away.
Figure in gas cost versus lodging … during deer season we stay in a cheap hotel a lot simply because it costs just as much in gas if we went home and came back

Ps PLUS… it’s a great excuse to the wife to hunt multiple days😂

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Look for campgrounds with camping cabin options. Use my F150 with camper shell to camp at pay and public free camping spots. Setup my tent-cot and a tarp/ez-up over the tent-cot. Eat and sleep frugally while enjoying my days afield.

<>< Fish

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Virginia has plenty of state parks to camp in...... quiet and cheap

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Last year I was making a bit of a drive and planned on meeting up with a couple of buddies around 1pm the next day. I had driven some 18hrs or so and decided to just pull over for a quick nap, I knew that I had 5 hours "spare" in order to hit the right time, and it was another 6 hours.
Pulled off, stayed in the drivers seat, tilt back, snuggle a pillow and figured I would get an hour or two of uncomfortable sleep.
Woke up after a 6 hour uninterrupted sleep and had to go a little quicker and no stops to make it in time.

I have slept literally everywhere, even beside the truck in a sleeping bag close to the ditch (no snakes up here) but I also use my points for hotels, problem is sometimes up here is the distance between cities with hotels. When Covid was on I had to drive through Ontario to get to my hunting property, couldn't sneak through the US, there is a Holiday inn 8 hours away and the next one is about 10 hours past that one.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
One person tent smack beside the truck a lot. Sometimes hotels sometimes campgrounds. Depends on a lot of factors like how badly I need a shower lol.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
One thing to keep in mind if going the campground route is to make sure that they dont have a gate they lock nightly so you cant get out.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
8582E0DC-E8EE-4BB0-B7F8-9B2E5317B17B.png

If Im solo I just sleep in the truck bed.
Bed roll and a sleeping bag make for comfy sleep.
I carry a cooler and a tote that holds my stove, lantern and cooking utensils. A good camp chair rounds in out.
I can be ready to sleep or ready to move in about 5 min..
On the road I can live like this for weeks.

If Im with others we usually camp with a tent, or in some cases we have a few cabins we like in other states far from home.