Local Leases?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oh, i ain't beggin. I'm in a hunt club but its over an hour away from where i live and its in SC which means i have to buy an out of state license, so i have a place to hunt, just trying to find a closer place is all.
There’s plenty of Public land near Charlotte.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes sir there is, but again, I'm just not gonna hunt public land.
You too good to hunt public land? Is that beneath you? You scared of getting lost? Don’t want to hunt where you can’t drive a vehicle to your stand?

Help me understand your issue with Public Land. I fail to comprehend why anyone would outright refuse to hunt land that is damn near free to hunt, but will still constantly whine and complain about needing somewhere to hunt.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
You too good to hunt public land? Is that beneath you? You scared of getting lost? Don’t want to hunt where you can’t drive a vehicle to your stand?

Help me understand your issue with Public Land. I fail to comprehend why anyone would outright refuse to hunt land that is damn near free to hunt, but will still constantly whine and complain about needing somewhere to hunt.
Just nevermind man. People have they're choices and hunting on public land is not mine.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

If I recall from last year, it was something along the lines of a bad experience in the past… But I agree with you. It’s like someone sitting whining about wanting a steak, & there’s a hot grill & t bone on the counter. It may be a choice T bone, not a prime, but it’s still a steak.

Goatdown

Button Buck

There are many reasons why people done want to hunt public. Alot of public land is not easily accessed. That can be an issue for people with physical issues, people hunting with kids. If your hunting alone if you were to kill, getting the animal out can be an issue when the land is not easy to get across. Some places are over populated with hunters. Let's not leave out the safety issue. I find the lack of safety on public lands to be the prime example of how I know the state wildlife doesn't really care about hunting safety. Why In 2021 there is No system to put the location your hunting. Serious hunters that don't want to hunt public should be looking at everything they can. To find private all year round.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
There are many reasons why people done want to hunt public. Alot of public land is not easily accessed. That can be an issue for people with physical issues, people hunting with kids. If your hunting alone if you were to kill, getting the animal out can be an issue when the land is not easy to get across. Some places are over populated with hunters. Let's not leave out the safety issue. I find the lack of safety on public lands to be the prime example of how I know the state wildlife doesn't really care about hunting safety. Why In 2021 there is No system to put the location your hunting. Serious hunters that don't want to hunt public should be looking at everything they can. To find private all year round.

I haven’t had any deer land in 4 years now and I haven’t hunted public land a single time. I’m not above it as I’ve been on many man drives on public land. But still hunting public land is not my thing due to safety reasons. Far too many idiots roaming the public lands that are closest to me. No way I would put my life in someone else’s hands over a brown goat. I am impressed though by those that hunt public and are successful. My hat is off to you. I have been shot before though and have no interest in having that experience twice.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
More hunting accidents and injuries occur on private land vs public

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
More hunting accidents and injuries occur on private land vs public
I was gonna say same thing this safety stuff always gets thrown around but the fact is that is extremely rare to have another hunter shoot you on public look up the NC stats. I'd be willing bet the guys that have most issues on public ate ones that don't want to put in effort or do their homework phisacilly unable being the exception. I can go an entire deer season without seeing any orange but my own on public land same with turkey I've packed quite few off over years that not a sole but me heard gobble. Add to that their ate permits tjay further limit pressure and if your disabled NC has very nice permit disabled hunt system in place the above comments about WRC are just plain silliness we are grown men don't need NCWRC to hold our hands and keep us safe If you do then your at as much risk on private. Now if you don't wanna hunt public because of management and what a person can control as far as shooting and such that's another story

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Just to be sure I understand, you feel there should be a check in situation whereby everyone hunting public land in NC would have to check in with a time and location before they accessed the gamelands? I'll bet if you tell Cooper that, he will be all for it.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I realize people are paying it, but
before I pay over $20 bucks a acre to hunt in NC I will quit hunting or just hunt public lands.
At $30-40 bucks a acre its cheaper to trespass. The ticket would be cheaper.
I hunted with a fellow here in NC from Texas. Where he was from leases went out the roof. He stated his father would by a single shot shotgun and a beat up truck, hunt until he got caught. He still said it was cheaper. No, I don't condone such behavior. I was just stating one man's solution.

Goatdown

Button Buck
Everyone does not have smart phones so an online system might not work. But a board at the parking area with a pen system is better than nothing. Happens or not, the fact that you don't know where the closest guy is located - that is a safety issue. Not only that, have any of you walked past someone already hunting. Or had someone walk past you? Not a great feeling if you have spent hours sitting and right when the time is right some other hunter decides they are ready to go home. I think most people that don't want other hunters to know where they are deer hunting on public land is scared that someone will start hunting " their spot ". If I know you are in a direct line of me I am not going to shoot. Also, if I know where you are located and you got there before me. I am going to do my best not to interrupt your hunt.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
It aint cheaper than a bullet. I would just quit if I were you cause that is the norm and has been for several years now.
It would be cheaper than the bullet to just let them hunt for free. Minimum life in prison for that bullet. Just saying.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Everyone does not have smart phones so an online system might not work. But a board at the parking area with a pen system is better than nothing. Happens or not, the fact that you don't know where the closest guy is located - that is a safety issue. Not only that, have any of you walked past someone already hunting. Or had someone walk past you? Not a great feeling if you have spent hours sitting and right when the time is right some other hunter decides they are ready to go home. I think most people that don't want other hunters to know where they are deer hunting on public land is scared that someone will start hunting " their spot ". If I know you are in a direct line of me I am not going to shoot. Also, if I know where you are located and you got there before me. I am going to do my best not to interrupt your hunt.

That isn’t feasible on public land. A check-in system, saying you are “on the property”, sure- There are other states that have something similar, but This isn’t your granddaddy’s hunting club with a pin-in board. It’s “PUBLIC” . If you don’t have a few backup spots picked out in case someone else is there, shame on you. Or, show up earlier. There’s been a few times I’ve shown up at 2-3AM, just to make sure I got in to a particular area.

A lot of folks whine about something they really don’t understand.

Goatdown

Button Buck
For those of you who want to hunt public. Great. I was responding to a question on why people would not hunt public. We all have different experiences. Those that I have had on public, have not been good. As there are others that have issues that I have on public, they will do one of two things. Either hunt private - which is why lease prices will always continue to rise. Or they will stop hunting. For those of you hunting public I hope you don't ever have a bad experience.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

90% of this post is either inaccurate or simply wrong.

There are plenty of large properties that are easily accessible, by either walking or riding a bike.

For getting your deer out, there are carts,sleds or simply quartering the animal up & pack it out.

Sorry, you can’t drive your ATV up to a box stand over a food plot with corn in it. That’s what a lot of this comes down to. If that’s the way you want to hunt, & spend your money, have at it.

But there’s simply a lot of inaccurate or down right wrong info being regurgitated regarding public land.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It’s was a warzone out there this weekend on the Raliegh gamelands, I felt like a cowboy who was dodging arrows left and right.

On a serious note, i didn’t see a single other hunter and hunted some popular areas.
You’re about to have some company… 😉 😝 😂

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
For those of you who want to hunt public. Great. I was responding to a question on why people would not hunt public. We all have different experiences. Those that I have had on public, have not been good. As there are others that have issues that I have on public, they will do one of two things. Either hunt private - which is why lease prices will always continue to rise. Or they will stop hunting. For those of you hunting public I hope you don't ever have a bad experience.

I think some people just blow their occasional bad experience way out of proportion. Having done most of my young age hunting on the national forests in PA, the game lands in NC look like private oases. PA has twice as many hunters and its rifle hunting season is only two weeks long. The first day of rifle sounds like downtown Kabul. People walking everywhere. I can easily see 10 or more hunters in a day. Yes, I have had bad experiences on public land. I still hunt them today.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
You can look up a lot of statistics on hunting from WRC reports. You can see how many accidents are fatal or non-fatal, what county they occurred in, what month they occurred, public or private land, and if it was weapon related to name a few. They'll even give you a description of each incident. From the few that I viewed, injuries in tree stands is the most reported accident. Private land has far more safety issues than public land.

Look here for a few reports.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
You are one clueless individual. I hope all of this is a joke.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
90% of this post is either inaccurate or simply wrong.

There are plenty of large properties that are easily accessible, by either walking or riding a bike.

For getting your deer out, there are carts,sleds or simply quartering the animal up & pack it out.

Sorry, you can’t drive your ATV up to a box stand over a food plot with corn in it. That’s what a lot of this comes down to. If that’s the way you want to hunt, & spend your money, have at it.

But there’s simply a lot of inaccurate or down right wrong info being regurgitated regarding public land.
Nailed it^^^