Local Leases?

Southern

Ten Pointer
Oh crap I will go ahead and jump in. After 152 views and no response, I cant stand it anymore.
1) There are no leases. Period. Anywhere in the world. J/K see #4 below.
2) If there were any leases, nobody would tell you about them on a hunting forum. I sometimes drop a few on here but that is rare and I do that cause I am in the business and try to look out for my landowners but that is like 1 every 3 years or so.
3) Jump in and participate more, nobody wants to help out a stranger, sorry but that is how this place works.
4) Leases can be found but you wont do it on here more than likely. Good luck with your search, it takes some time but they are out there, and be prepared to pay up. $10 -$20 will get you laughed at. Over $20 will get attention maybe. Don't stoke if you hear $30- $40 per acre.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not trying to be rude but, the time to look for a lease is in Jan. or Feb. At least try to start then.
Deer season just started so anything that has deer on it is more than likely locked up.
You can always try to talk to whoever you come into contact with around the area. In Stanly co., land has been hard to come by for awhile according to guys I used to work with.
Best of luck and i hope you find something. It is an uphill job usually in any county.

JBurris

Button Buck
A simple "yes" would have worked.

All joking aside, I was just trying to help out fellow hunters with the lease cost if they had a large tract with plenty of room for another hunter.

I've got plenty of spots to hunt, but always looking for more local tracts.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
A simple "yes" would have worked.

All joking aside, I was just trying to help out fellow hunters with the lease cost if they had a large tract with plenty of room for another hunter.

I've got plenty of spots to hunt, but always looking for more local tracts.
You'll find that mist of the hunters ( at least the ones I've known for years ) think less people is more when leasing land.

Just been my experience.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Oh crap I will go ahead and jump in. After 152 views and no response, I cant stand it anymore.
2) If there were any leases, nobody would tell you about them on a hunting forum. I sometimes drop a few on here but that is rare and I do that cause I am in the business and try to look out for my landowners but that is like 1 every 3 years or so.
3) Jump in and participate more, nobody wants to help out a stranger, sorry but that is how this place works.
4) Leases can be found but you wont do it on here more than likely. Good luck with your search, it takes some time but they are out there, and be prepared to pay up. $10 -$20 will get you laughed at. Over $20 will get attention maybe. Don't stoke if you hear $30- $40 per acre.

I realize people are paying it, but
before I pay over $20 bucks a acre to hunt in NC I will quit hunting or just hunt public lands.
At $30-40 bucks a acre its cheaper to trespass. The ticket would be cheaper.

Southern

Ten Pointer
I realize people are paying it, but
before I pay over $20 bucks a acre to hunt in NC I will quit hunting or just hunt public lands.
At $30-40 bucks a acre its cheaper to trespass. The ticket would be cheaper.
It aint cheaper than a bullet. I would just quit if I were you cause that is the norm and has been for several years now.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
It aint cheaper than a bullet. I would just quit if I were you cause that is the norm and has been for several years now.
@Southern I have a question regarding the higher priced leases...What are the terms regarding what hunters are allowed to do with the land and as far as putting in food plots, trails, etc...

Put another way, my only experience is with timber companies, which are pretty picky about what they'll let you do. At $30 an acre, does that buy fewer restrictions in the lease?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
That might be the norm for you and your clients, but it's not the norm for me or anyone I know. I would laugh in someone's face if they told me they paid 30 or 40$ an acre
$30-40 an acre is pretty normal in high demand areas. And, it's really not that bad when you break it down. Say you lease 150 acres at $30/acre. That's $4500/yr. Put 3 guys on the lease and you are only paying $10 per acre per person.

And the last time I checked, there is nowhere in this country where you can buy land for $30-40 acre.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Last time I checked their was A LOT of difference between BUY and LEASE........ Maybe I should go lease some groceries and take them back after a few days..... :ROFLMAO:
I was making a point. Don’t want to pay $30 an acre, then go buy some land. Pay $5000/acre, plus taxes, up keep etc.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
For those comparing lease vs. buy, to me it was a no brainer. This farm was the best thing I ever did in my life short of my wife. Yes, land was a lot less expensive in 1990 but salaries were a whole lot less as well. At this point in life I have had 30 years of a wonderfully quiet, seculded country lifestyle. I have been able to walk out the door and hunt immediately whenever I want. Not to mention that the value of the place has increased by way much more than I ever expected.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
How about, I don't have to do either one and I still have money in my pocket
Just pointing out the differences. Since I am looking pretty hard at buying some land, I often think about the actual costs of buying vs leasing.

FInancially, more people can afford to pay a couple thousand dollars per year for a lease, than are able to afford $500-$1000/month land payment.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
$30-40 an acre is pretty normal in high demand areas. And, it's really not that bad when you break it down. Say you lease 150 acres at $30/acre. That's $4500/yr. Put 3 guys on the lease and you are only paying $10 per acre per person.

And the last time I checked, there is nowhere in this country where you can buy land for $30-40 acre.

Thats $1500 to hunt 150 acres with 3 others....no thanks.

I know what your getting at Im just saying to me thats way to much to hunt in NC.

Southern

Ten Pointer
@Southern I have a question regarding the higher priced leases...What are the terms regarding what hunters are allowed to do with the land and as far as putting in food plots, trails, etc...

Put another way, my only experience is with timber companies, which are pretty picky about what they'll let you do. At $30 an acre, does that buy fewer restrictions in the lease?
Generally speaking (not always, keyboard rangers dont jump on me for semantics) leases are exclusive and short of endangering timber, livestock,etc you get the run of the place.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Well, that is basically true. It's just sad that people have to be like this. I understand that people work hard to have what they have and family land and all but it's just sad.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Just pointing out the differences. Since I am looking pretty hard at buying some land, I often think about the actual costs of buying vs leasing.

FInancially, more people can afford to pay a couple thousand dollars per year for a lease, than are able to afford $500-$1000/month land payment.
That's true but you don't want to many people in a club or on a lease do you cause there will be to many hunters at any one time on the land. I wish if you get some land i could hunt it. I live in Charlotte and there is no land here or, if there is nobody is saying anything to anybody.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
We hashed this out last year- Over a million acres around the state to hunt, simply for the cost of a license. It’s YOUr choice not to hunt. 🤷‍♂️
Well, i don't remember, hashing out anything but i do have a license, I'm just not gonna hunt public land.