Loading data Optima V2

Thread starter #1
I got this ML earlier this year, but had no range time. I have 50 cal round balls that I hear are not very accurate in the inline bores. I also have 50 cal sabots and 44 cal Hornady XTPs available in 200 and 230 grain flavors. Looking for starting loads with Pyrodex or BP..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Following this. I just bought an Optima V2. I have read up and I plan to start with white hots and Hornady SST 250 gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My optima does really good with the tipped 250 grain bullets and enclosed sabots. I've not shot over 200 yards so I can't comment on long range.

Thread starter #4
I loaded what I think is 90 grains of black powder under the sabotted 240. My measure isn't marked, but I think fully collapsed is 50gr. Seems to do ok. It was really humid yesterday and getting a solid position was difficult. At 100 yards, I got 2" groups. That'll work for MOD.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Try 21 grains of Bluedot shotgun powder,I did today and it is good,just needed a,better rest ,back AMD forth from 777. Scope,was,off a bit.Going do,some,more testing on it,Im,shooting a wolf with a enclosed breech.Got friends,who been using it for,years ,half the,kick,and,no,smoke,and no,cleaning.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Try 21 grains of Bluedot shotgun powder,I did today and it is good,just needed a,better rest ,back AMD forth from 777. Scope,was,off a bit.Going do,some,more testing on it,Im,shooting a wolf with a enclosed breech.Got friends,who been using it for,years ,half the,kick,and,no,smoke,and no,cleaning.

Unless you have a smokeless muzzleloader, it's best to stick with real black powder or one of the many substitutes...

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I got this ML earlier this year, but had no range time. I have 50 cal round balls that I hear are not very accurate in the inline bores. I also have 50 cal sabots and 44 cal Hornady XTPs available in 200 and 230 grain flavors. Looking for starting loads with Pyrodex or BP..

I work up loads for friends and start with 240 or 300gr Hornaday .44 diameter XTPs (I buy them in bulk) and a green Harvester smooth sabot...I then start with 80grs FFF Goes black powder and work up to 100grs...80 or 85grs usually ends up being the sweet spot....

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I’d stick with either XTPs or Barnes bullets. The SSTs, TC shockwaves and powebelts don’t expand well at least in my experience.

I shoot a 295gr. PowerBelt Aerotip being pushed by 2 White Hots out of my Optima, this load HAMMERS the deer for me. I tried a few different bullets and pellets when I got the rifle and after testing,the rifle liked the mentioned load the best.