Load testing in my 7mm STW

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
you only have so many shots with any load you work up if you want to keep this as a hunting rifle, that headpressure is a barrel killer after 400 rounds or so, even with the softer stainless barrel.

I’m thinking that I’m at around 100 shots through this rifle, maybe just a touch less.

I ran about 35 of the 140 gr Ballistic Tips through it

Maybe 25 of the 150 gr Accubonds

And 30 of the the 150 gr Accubond LRs

My Dad has a 7mm STW exactly like mine, his is the reason for me getting this one, his is beyond the 1200 rd mark for sure by now. He’s had it since 1996 or so and he shoots probably at least 50 rounds through it a year. It’s one of his favorites to break skeet with out to 500 yards. So I’m hoping mine lasts as well as his has! I’m keeping my fingers crossed anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m thinking that I’m at around 100 shots through this rifle, maybe just a touch less.

I ran about 35 of the 140 gr Ballistic Tips through it

Maybe 25 of the 150 gr Accubonds

And 30 of the the 150 gr Accubond LRs

My Dad has a 7mm STW exactly like mine, his is the reason for me getting this one, his is beyond the 1200 rd mark for sure by now. He’s had it since 1996 or so and he shoots probably at least 50 rounds through it a year. It’s one of his favorites to break skeet with out to 500 yards. So I’m hoping mine lasts as well as his has! I’m keeping my fingers crossed anyway!

that stainless barrel is more forgiving for sure so you very well may get quite a few before it starts down hill on you. I'm saving a custom .264 Win Mag from being my regular shooter for the same reason.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
that stainless barrel is more forgiving for sure so you very well may get quite a few before it starts down hill on you. I'm saving a custom .264 Win Mag from being my regular shooter for the same reason.

This isn’t my regular hunting rifle. Truth be told, I don’t really have a “regular” hunting rifle, I hunt with several different rifles every year.

I actually killed my first deer with the rifle in several years last year. There have been years it never made it to the woods for one reason or another.

Now that I’ve got a load I’m happy with, it will probably fall into the shoot a group before season just to verify zero category.

Hopefully that will prolong its life.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
It will last a lifetime if you treat it right. One main culprit is heat. My Weatherby's all run hot after 3- 5 shots. The same with any high velocity caliber like the STW's. You shouldn't have a problem shooting it as a hunting rifle.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It will last a lifetime if you treat it right. One main culprit is heat. My Weatherby's all run hot after 3- 5 shots. The same with any high velocity caliber like the STW's. You shouldn't have a problem shooting it as a hunting rifle.

When I’m at the range, I shoot it once then let it sit for a few minutes before I shoot it again. I do all my rifles that way.

I have cranked off 3 shots in less than a minute once when I was hunting with it though...lol.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
When I’m at the range, I shoot it once then let it sit for a few minutes before I shoot it again. I do all my rifles that way.

I have cranked off 3 shots in less than a minute once when I was hunting with it though...lol.

That's not going to hurt a thing. Now if you were shooting something like F Class where you are putting out 20 rounds in 20 minutes at high velocities then you would most likely be cutting down the life expectancy of the barrel. That's why I never had a problem buying used deer hunting rifles. They rarely have more than 100 rounds down the tube. Usually it's the crown that is messed up. I say keep handloading and have fun!