Load Bearing Wall Question

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I have a ranch. Buil tin 1989. Roof weight is typical single layer alphalt shingle over plywood. Roof construction is truss, 2x4 constructed and spanning 25 feet. Bottom of each truss is one unbroken 2x4.

At all locations checked, the interior partition walls have a gap of 3/8" between the top of the walls doubled top plate and the bottom of the perpendicular truss that spans the exterior walls. (i.e. all load appears to be xfered to exterior walls, there is no sag making contact with interior partition walls...only contact at any point on the truss system is the exterior walls. The attic is uninhabitable/no floor/no storage.)

Floor joists are also 2x4x25 feet truss construction but closer spacing.

Additional information, the center wall running half the length of the house, on the right side of the first photo below has no header above any of the door openings.....cripples only to allow for attachment of dry wall.

The center wall is also 5" off the center of the roof truss....i.e. the center of the bottom of the V in the truss does not line up directly with the wall below it.

Also, my contractor (not the builder, he's 30 years away with the plans long ago lost in the trash) states in his professional opinion, the interior walls are non load bearing.

What I've done is start opening about 8 foot spans to bring the kitchen, dining and living areas all together as one large room. Each wall stud I cut out never bound a blade and in fact at this point the corner stud shown in the picture is easy to move back and forth with one hand (I cut away the bottom sill to see if there was weight on this area.)

I'm proceeding slowly but am becoming more confident that opening the room will not require spanning the openings nor installation of a corner post. i.e. I can have a true open living/kitchen area. (already the ac is working less hard.....just opening the kitchen improved the air flow enough that the overall temp of the front of the house now feels just as cool as the back of the house.

Thoughts from those in construction and/or engineering? I am leaning towards a true opening without header and corner post.

The area to the left of the corner post/greenish wall in this photo is a fully spanned/unsupported 25ft wide by 12+ feet deep. (The wall to the right, just behind the Adirondack chair runs 1/2 the length of the house, perpendicular to the trusses and joists and has no headers over the door openings. Also this is the wall that is just to the side of the exact center of the spanning trusses. At no place I can find, does the tops of these interior walls come into contact with the bottom of the trusses.)
37075496_1986526204751194_8349300016925376512_n.jpg37186263_1986526198084528_2938518337891598336_n.jpg

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You have done a lot of the homework...

"At all locations checked, the interior partition walls have a gap of 3/8" between the top of the walls doubled top plate and the bottom of the perpendicular truss that spans the exterior walls."

If this is true for all locations, the walls won't bear any load from the roof. it takes magnets, electromagnets, or some other wireless force transfer mechanism to transmit that load through the air.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
In looking at the construction and spending hours sifting the internet of fluff, I am becoming more trusting of my contractors opinion. Not that I don't trust him, I just like to verify. I'm am becoming quite amazed what a clamped together string of 2x4 wood can do!

For now as I continue to trim back through the door openings, I'll leave the corner post in, just to see if it gets any weight on it but am quite excited at the prospect of having a very open living area......also lends a lot of ease in the planning to open the master and den wall into a large master suite!

I couldn't find any magnetic particle force projectors either.....I'm assuming they can't be buried in the 2x4 without leaving a mark!

witler

Eight Pointer
Conventional framing the load is on exterior walls and some interior walls. Truss framing load is distributed along the truss and exterior walls. Whatever you do, do not cut a truss without consulting an engineer, based on my expercience.

big bore bob

Eight Pointer
If it is typical Windsor style trusses there will be a 2x4 completely vertical over any load bearing point that is not on the outside wall.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Went a bit farther....got a full 9ft span opened up.....that corner post is still loosie goosie. Feeling good about the project, this lil 1400ish sq ft house is really getting a big feel.....ugly inside right now but oh how the air conditioner works better and the light! we can see in the living room now at noon with the lights off!!!!!!

That's number one doggie helper. he ain't afraid of nuthin, in fact, he said something about getting a better zoomie going now the walls are out of the way of his puppy shenanigans....

37338439_1992753684128446_931856518519717888_n.jpg37383544_1992753680795113_5405730011514667008_n.jpg

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If that was a point load, typically you would have a pier or girder underneath in the floor to transfer the load.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Cabinets out of the way and the fridge moved to its new home.....GoodWife will be surprised. The front of the house is soooooo open. We'll be on bagged ice a bit till I can get the wet wall opened to hook up the fridge to the adjacent bathroom plumbing.

001.JPG002.JPG

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
A common misconception is that all trussed construction means exterior only wall load bearing would apply. This is not always the case. However, by what you have described it seems that you are dealing with non load bearing walls. Like ibgreen stated checking to ensure no point loads in the crawl space would be a good idea just to be sure.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
If that was a point load, typically you would have a pier or girder underneath in the floor to transfer the load.
I agree. Taking a peek from below may give a little more info. If theirs a pier there, I'd definitely start shopping for a column. It wouldn't be random.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
crawl space is clear, same construction as the floor over the garage, 25' unbroken spanning 2x4 trusses all the way across. looks good.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Got some more work done tonight, been working on my boys place for a bit......

Removed the remaining wall to the left of the sink cabinets and opened the door framework to the Carolina room. (eventually we'll block up the laundry room entrance to the extreme left and put the laundry entrance on the Carolina room so as to reduce noise in the living and dining areas) Have some flaws in the header over the Carolina room entrance to fix, got it propped up tonight. The right side king stud was not supporting the floating right end of the doubled header. Measurements indicate no sag since assembly this way in 1987 but I spliced in the hole for now and will replace the right king stud with a full length stud this weekend. As for the partition wall between the Carolina room door and the kitchen cabinet, I'm thinking that will be cut to a half wall no higher than the back splash.

As for the sphincter quivering part of the job, there remained no weight on the corner post in the main part of the room so out it came after weeks of watching and checking. Totally uneventful. Nothing caved in. So, I guess its time to start pulling down crown molding and getting the ceiling fixed up and looking decent.

kitchen 001.JPG

kitchen 002.JPGkitchen 003.JPG

NC 270

Eight Pointer
Only spanning 25' , I'm almost positive there are no interior load bearing walls in your house.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That is a beautiful doggie helper you have! I had one that looked just like him about 45 years ago. Best dog I've ever had.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
The old water pipe that used to feed the ice maker is out. Fortunately it was a single 1/2" line plumbed in with a valve on each end. A simple snip with branch cutters and the floor is now ready for the trim that will stay in place until we re floor the entire house. I'll add a cpvc end cap after the shut off valve as a backup and retain the stub out to install a sink in the garage later.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Daddy saw I needed a break from helping him mess up the kitchen and living room and he installed air conditioning in my doggy bed. If some other man was my Daddy, I'd do like Ruger and bite him in the nuts and then go find my real DADDY!

asleep 001.JPG