Living near major overhead power lines

mattharris0414

Has anyone ever lived or do you still live near major overhead power lines. I keep reading reviews from both sides that say they may be harmful with the emf's that they put off but other studies that prove them wrong what is your guy's opinion. I have an opportunity to buy close to 20 acres that join a major power line and want to build but I'm still iffy if there is something to be worried about or not.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
It's probably not much of a concern if the house isn't near the power lines.

I had a chance to buy a house located close to power lines. I really liked the house. When I walked into the backyard and saw the lines practically over the back yard, I walked away. I didn't walk away due to some health concern. I walked away because some day I would need to sell the house and probably more than half the people would look at the power lines and walk away. They say real estate is location, location, location. This house was poorly located.

I lived in a town house that backed up to some overhead power lines. I could hear them suckers humming. My wife use to get migraines when we lived there. Moved to the country with no overhead lines her headaches went away and I dont hear the buzzing . I personally wouldn't own property with the lines on it.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I dont know about legitimate health issues, but I do know that just driving under high tension lines give both my brother and I migraines. Ive never met anyone else that it bothered, but I can’t be near them. That’d be a definitive pass for me unless the lines cross briefly on the opposite corner of the property from the house. And then I’d move it to a maybe.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I lived in an apartment for 5 years that had power lines 20 yards away. Never had any issues. Never heard them unless I went outside and sat under them.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We live in a house that is next to major power lines. I researched it before we bought and did not find any credible research on health problems.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
The North boundary of my property runs down the center of a high tension line, about 125 feet to the kitchen wall, but we can't hear them unless very humid and standing under the line. My neighbor brought home some kind of EMF tester and said the readings were well within the safe level. No problems other than interlopers who think the ROW is public property and with Duke power which told me I had built my shop too close so I offered to hold one end of his tape measure and showed him that I was outside the ROW and they never bothered me again about that issue.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I lived on a 1.5 acre lot, with power lines running on a right of way behind the property, about 150 yards from the back of the house. Never had a problem, but could definitely hear them humming from the back end of the property. The lot was wooded, couldn't see the lines from the house.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
All I know is that when I drive under them my truck radio sounds like frying bacon. That's bound to do wonders to your DNA. :ROFLMAO:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It’s the same stuff in the walls of your house, under your floors, in your attics ..... basically surrounds us every day..... just some trumped up myths .... all the neighbors in my hood had it tested and it was all good! And they are 150 ft from them

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
It’s the same stuff in the walls of your house, under your floors, in your attics ..... basically surrounds us every day..... just some trumped up myths .... all the neighbors in my hood had it tested and it was all good! And they are 150 ft from them

Not saying they are bad for you, but I don’t think you can compare some romex carrying 120v to a 345kv high line lol. They can induce voltage on a nearby line, Ive always wondered what they can induce on the human body.

thandy

Ten Pointer
I am not so sure. My best friend through high school house was about a 100 yard from some. He has been battling brain tumors since he was in his early 20's. Lord knows I have spent about as much time in his back yard as he did and have no ill affects. His brother also passed a few years ago with weird health issues, he was also an alcoholic which could have played a factor. His sister and parents on the other hand are fine and healthy....?‍♂️

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I remember at some point being in a home in Illinois that was nearby a sub station and had florescent lighting that would light up with the switch off. I'm not sure why but they blamed the sub station leaking some form of energy for that.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I lived in an apartment for 5 years that had power lines 20 yards away. Never had any issues. Never heard them unless I went outside and sat under them.
That might just explain a lot there Tip....

Seriously, I would not worry about it 20 acres away.. but we have them running across the back of the fire station and if you are outside you hear the buzz almost constantly.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I remember at some point being in a home in Illinois that was nearby a sub station and had florescent lighting that would light up with the switch off. I'm not sure why but they blamed the sub station leaking some form of energy for that.
Sure they blamed the substation...

Nobody believed em when they told em they had haints :eek:

samuelrp

Eight Pointer
My Dad worked for Duke Power for 43 years and ate lunch on the complex in his car every day. He died of brain cancer. Had 3 tumors primary to the brain. I will always believe there was a connection.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My buddy’s family has lived under them for the last 24 years......one son is a dentist(UNC)and the other has his General contractor license and and graduated from college.....the wife gets hotter by the day....my buddy.....like me just gets bigger in the wrong places.....maybe just affects males in their early to mid 50’s

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
For a lot of reasons like the resale, aesthetics (buying land and building a home after all, build what you want with a view you like,) I'd avoid it if the lines were at the front of the property or close to where you'd build.

If they're at the other end of the lot I'd not worry too much. If the lot is square and they're at one end of the property they're over 300 yards away. A lot of us live within 300-400 yards of such lines. I think I do.

Last edited:

Packfan

Eight Pointer
One of Duke’s main transmission lines runs right through two of our farms and actually separate our two sets of broiler houses from each other. My house is near them with no known issues. I have lived next to them for a long time and i have a few box stands that sit right under them. We hear them pop some but we really don’t catch many lightening strikes either so that is a plus.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
This thread pretty much sums what I said earlier - people are split on whether there are health effects. It shows that it doesn't matter if there are or are not health effects - it's the perception that there may be. If you never plan on selling the land and will pass it from generation to generation, that's fine. If you plan on selling it someday, you'll probably need to discount it quite a bit to sell.