Moved Live turkey harvest reports

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If I remember correctly, and I may not, at the end of youth week the total was a little over 1200. That means bout 8400 birds last week.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Anybody ever seen statistics on how many are not reported? It would be interesting, but pure conjecture I suppose.
And out of that, I wonder how many are full on poachers doing everything illegal, and how many just get greedy and shoot an extra bird or two.
Another interesting stat would be how many people use their spouse's tags.

Not encouraging the behaviors above at all, but we all know that number isn't really 100% accurate...

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I don't have any clue on the poaching can't say I've ever run into anything suspicious in spring but I have found corn/apples on game land in fall. I don't know if were gonna hit 20000 but with 3 straight Saturdays of nice weather it makes for high harvest numbers to hit that there are few counties that gonna have to catch up that are lagging little

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well I'll have two extra tags.

Any chance to go out has been windy cold or pissing rain sideways.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Guilford County is on fire and smoking the last 3 years average. I was going to go to Caswell but I may just hit Guilford.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
The rate is slowing down. Probably get a nice bump this Saturday.

I find it hard to believe that Hawglips grandson and I have killed over 10% of the birds in Lee Co. harvest.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The rate is slowing down. Probably get a nice bump this Saturday.

I find it hard to believe that Hawglips grandson and I have killed over 10% of the birds in Lee Co. harvest.
amazingly i had 50% of the chatham county reported kill in 1996. i killed one. :)

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
If I'm reading it right, every county (except Dare) is way ahead of the previous 3 year average in total harvest.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I just dumped it all into excel. Current vs 3 year average.

Swaim & Graham are only counties that are behind.

Statewide is 45% ahead of 3 year average. If I use highest range for each county and sum it, Statewide is ahead by 29%.

Biggest gainers compared to 3 year average:
Hoke - 293%
Tyrrell - 160%
Johnston - 158%
Greene - 129%
Camden - 117%

Biggest gainers compared to highest # among 3 previous seasons:
Hoke - 181%
Johnston - 100%
Camden - 95%
Watauga - 81%
Henderson - 78%

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
How the Top 10 counties are doing compared to the last 3 year average:
This is % increase
Bladen 66.86%
Craven 8.92%
Duplin 75.79%
Halifax 32.28%
Northampton 45.76%
Onslow 46.11%
Pender 46.15%
Rockingham 55.00%
Rutherford 31.88%
Stokes 18.29%

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i have no clue now but those 3 year averages were meangingless early on. the comparison was useless info. havent looked ta it since but maybe the late opener was an issue or something. maybe it was using calandar dates versus days in season, i dont know.

just something to consider in looking at it.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
i have no clue now but those 3 year averages were meangingless early on. the comparison was useless info. havent looked ta it since but maybe the late opener was an issue or something. maybe it was using calandar dates versus days in season, i dont know.

just something to consider in looking at it.
Yea, no clue how that is calculated.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I talked with the biologist about those numbers last week and got some insight. When I have more time tonight I"ll post what I was told.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
As above, after talking with my biologist about numbers last week. He isn't a big fan of numbers till the end of the season either. A couple of hours later he called me and said he had just been talking with the IT people because some things just didn't look right to him. He was told that the numbers are calculated from the first hunting day of turkey season each year. Some years there are some special disabled hunts that happen sometimes a few weeks prior to the youth season. As most are aware, the opening day of the regular season varies from year to year, sometimes by as much as a week. The numbers we see on the "past 3 years" is generated by the live harvest past harvest on the same "date" which will not be accurate once all the numbers are in and the total harvests are compared. i hope i got this right and. if it is correct, it is less confusing for you than it is for me. I told my guy that he shouldn't have told me about that comparison button. It just confused the issue and me as well.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
there are numerous ways to look at what he said. if it is date to date calandar comparison then we are blowing it out cause the season started later this year so there would be more days of hunting in some past years same calandar date.

but to me all that matters is the total harvest. and that we know from year to year without a doubt.
the season is half over Sunday so we'll have a feel for the year i think. another pretty weather weekend seems to be in store.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
As above, after talking with my biologist about numbers last week. He isn't a big fan of numbers till the end of the season either. A couple of hours later he called me and said he had just been talking with the IT people because some things just didn't look right to him. He was told that the numbers are calculated from the first hunting day of turkey season each year. Some years there are some special disabled hunts that happen sometimes a few weeks prior to the youth season. As most are aware, the opening day of the regular season varies from year to year, sometimes by as much as a week. The numbers we see on the "past 3 years" is generated by the live harvest past harvest on the same "date" which will not be accurate once all the numbers are in and the total harvests are compared. i hope i got this right and. if it is correct, it is less confusing for you than it is for me. I told my guy that he shouldn't have told me about that comparison button. It just confused the issue and me as well.
Little mixed up by that disabled statement as far as turkey there are no early hunts before youth. Now for deer that is true there are disabled deer hunts labor day wknd but not for Turkey

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The weather is supposed to be nice Fri through Mon but if the harvest doesn't make jump which it may lot people will be giving it up I'm seeing lower harvest than last year when all said and done just a guess we'll see.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
holy schmolly,,,,,,,, "Live turkey harvest reports",,,,,

is it doom??

or good hope??

only time will tell,,,,,,,,

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Its good to look at for curious minds I like to crunch numbers see trend and such. something to occupy my mind till I get to hunt again 8 more long work days

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I'm a big numbers guy and have run them several times for sake of comparison. Its interesting to me that 20,000 was the guestimate for this year's harvest, which is only about 5% higher than last year, despite us being so far ahead of last years total at the half way point...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the 20,000 was taking the first week and doubling it as somone thoght that typically 50% of the harvest is the first week.
i dont have any faith in the thrree year average stuff. it looks misleading to me.

a few counties 2017 total and 2018 season to date:
bladen 414-286
Burke 300-174
Duplin 425-337
Franklin 401- 274
rockingham 495- 281

they dying like flies and i cant work one. I wish this system had never been invented and we could argue and use our own experiences to decide how the kill was going.

to hell with facts. LOLZ.