Live from PA Opener

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Archery in PA, had a few doe tags as well as my 1 buck tag and a few larger bucks around the house. Just flew in from a dual stop trip between AL and IA. Managed to verify scope on the new to me Tenpoint Stealth SS right before dark. Got up at 4am dragging from 60+ days on the road. Had to take Wife to her cousins wedding in NY tonight. Figured at least a doe would cut through and they did but someone illegally parked at a metal gate and they skirted his truck putting them 100 yards away.

Driving for NY I saw a neighbors yard full of deer including all 5 of the larger bucks. The 11 still semi hanging with the others. First time seeing him in a month. Then fields of deer the whole trip. Temps dropped to low 30s and no wind. I’m turning off work devices for a few weeks to a month of down time and back in PA tomorrow night. Weather looks not so great with warmer temps and rain (50s). Have some other stuff to get done and seems bigger bucks hanging in estates more than the edge that’s about 1000 yards wide x mile or so of huntable cliffs. If I can’t get them out of the estates I’ll climb the cliffs again mid week where I found other bruisers last year.

As odd as life is lately I’m sleeping in a barn silo half way to the wedding. My wife rented a BnB and it’s a 5-6 level silo with a room on every level. Not very big rooms but it’s a neat setup with a ladder at the very top to a sitting spot with a window. Even better there’s a hard core climbing store (Rock and Snow or Ice and Rock I forget) in New Paltz at the base of the ‘Gunks mountain range which is a Mecca for climbers. I’m planning to hit it up on the way north to buy some new Hunting layers. They sell all kinds of alpine climbing stuff so premium Merino, etc. The -15 temps during seer season leaving me lacking with my 10 yo cotton/fleece.

Anyone want to venture north there’s a new online season and Black Bear is included I think not just doe. Plus it’s archery season and I’ve got thousands on thousands of acres of pristine gorge/valleys. Access road for non-adjoining landowners is 7 miles or so. I’m only a few k yards. It does drop 2k’ and go back up 2k’ in the same few thousand yards bring your hikers. You can almost hunt in shorts. It’s just really cold after the sweat dries. ?

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
And the odd habitat for tonight

Attachments

• B4B17D6E-73B5-43AA-A455-535CE615B2A6.jpeg
    B4B17D6E-73B5-43AA-A455-535CE615B2A6.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 48
  • C8F23171-39AA-4318-8ED9-D08A011222D0.jpeg
    C8F23171-39AA-4318-8ED9-D08A011222D0.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 49
  • E7F336A8-2664-4D25-A483-034526468E8E.jpeg
    E7F336A8-2664-4D25-A483-034526468E8E.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 64DA17ED-54EF-4F22-BDBC-058CEE6B0525.jpeg
    64DA17ED-54EF-4F22-BDBC-058CEE6B0525.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 46

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
It’s always an adventure, I went from frost in the Midwest to record highs over 90 in AL all in a 12 hour span. Now I’m living in a barn. Probably belonged in a barn all along though.

Attachments

• 0508CBD5-F9AE-4005-B383-0A0DB3BE9853.jpeg
    0508CBD5-F9AE-4005-B383-0A0DB3BE9853.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 04F01AEE-DF30-413C-8CFF-99AD1AA4E22D.jpeg
    04F01AEE-DF30-413C-8CFF-99AD1AA4E22D.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 34

704Josh

Four Pointer
I’ll be up in Clearfield county 1st week in November. Deer, turkey and bear in the same week. I’ll be in heaven and arrows will be flying!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Sounds like you are staying busy as usual and continuing with the unusual. Glad to see you are doing well. Good luck and don't fall down one of those hills.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Thanks Lee, trying not to but gimpy leg and all makes it dicey sometimes.

Helium, your welcome any time. The hills get steep but it’s pretty scenic and worth it. I’m babying a knee so it doesn’t have to get cut on but after seeing all the bucks moving at 5pm and having a favorite spot right off the gravel dead-end invaded by a new hunter I’m guessing as soon as the rain breaks tomorrow I’ll be packing a stand up the far cliffs again. Trout should be getting good again as well. I’ve not tried late fall but my neighbor caught an 11.5# beauty making a run in a small creek and Guys from work are heading to Pulaski for Steelhead this coming weekend. I gave them some nice spots local and they offered to show me Pulaski/Salmon River. With so many days on the road and just getting back from NY I’ll regrettably skip most likely. I’m tired of traveling after 65+ straight days and want to see the kids and chase PA whitetail without schedules and stress for a bit. Good for the soul to soak up some time “offline”. Our rifle season is now the Sat after Thanksgiving and Bear is odd to me but normal to locals with the on and off dates. I’m used to continuous dates for a season.

Anyway, I’m here and gone but your welcome and if the rental is empty it’s yours free. I know this month it’s likely booked with Fall Foliage (Leaf Peepers just sounds wrong). We’ve got another portion that’s separate and not a rental yet so always space.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I also found a garbage trail leading past my stand over the cliffs so appears the two large local bears are active again. I think I shared the 586# bear’s pics from last year that stole my deer, was spooked, and a lucky neighbor got him. He was 100 yards off a very crowded tourist hike at 9-10am with my buck?

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
The two by the house I had on my entrance a couple years back and the smaller was maybe 175, the larger would push 3-350. Two years of growing might have helped. Other neighbors are feeding them too which doesn’t help. Some by hand which is asking for trouble.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
704, I’m pretty unfamiliar with the counties here still. I kind of range down to Downingtown/Philly and up to Hazleton with a few odd trips to Erie for a Site in Jamestown, NY. Good chance I’ve been lost where you are going but don’t recall the name. I’ve not been to Pittsburgh much but Ive covered about the rest of PA at least once I think. Have good video of some massive 7x8 elk in a huge heard in a random field from one trip.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks Lee, trying not to but gimpy leg and all makes it dicey sometimes.

Helium, your welcome any time. The hills get steep but it’s pretty scenic and worth it. I’m babying a knee so it doesn’t have to get cut on but after seeing all the bucks moving at 5pm and having a favorite spot right off the gravel dead-end invaded by a new hunter I’m guessing as soon as the rain breaks tomorrow I’ll be packing a stand up the far cliffs again. Trout should be getting good again as well. I’ve not tried late fall but my neighbor caught an 11.5# beauty making a run in a small creek and Guys from work are heading to Pulaski for Steelhead this coming weekend. I gave them some nice spots local and they offered to show me Pulaski/Salmon River. With so many days on the road and just getting back from NY I’ll regrettably skip most likely. I’m tired of traveling after 65+ straight days and want to see the kids and chase PA whitetail without schedules and stress for a bit. Good for the soul to soak up some time “offline”. Our rifle season is now the Sat after Thanksgiving and Bear is odd to me but normal to locals with the on and off dates. I’m used to continuous dates for a season.

Anyway, I’m here and gone but your welcome and if the rental is empty it’s yours free. I know this month it’s likely booked with Fall Foliage (Leaf Peepers just sounds wrong). We’ve got another portion that’s separate and not a rental yet so always space.
Thanks... and take care of that leg.

Will likely take you up on that offer sometime

Last edited: