Live 9/7/18

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well.... what a crazy first day! Saw 10 this morning. Lobbed a hail marry shot at a nice 6 in velvet. Shot way low.
Hit a twig at 25 yards and sent a bolt over a big nanny’s back. All the others were out of bow range.

This evening I switched it up about 100 yards from my spot this morning for a pinch point.

On my walk in i scared the dickens out of a jogger. Then as I was crossing the back end of a cove I scared a couple camping. They had no clue they were on gamelands lol.

Things settled down once I found the tree I wanted to climb. It was a beautiful afternoon and at about 7pm here comes a doe. She walked up broadside for an easy 10 yards shot. She bolted after the shot and I heard her crash on the ridge above me but I couldnt see her. I was confident in the shot and decided to wait for a while. At about 745 I begin to here noises coming from the ridge I thought I heard her crash. I never saw anything but definitely heard things moving about.

I climbed down right at dark and began looking for my doe. I was not impressed with the blood trail but I was able to locate her based upon where I thought she fell.

Once I got to her I was shocked. What I had heard on the ridge was actually coyotes eating her. I was not pleased. Internal organs and guts were ripped completely out of her and slung all over the place. One half of a back ham was ruined and both of the inside tenderloins.

I hiked my gear out and skinned what remained of my doe. On my way out I had a coyote watching me on the hill...

How many of y’all have had 2 kick coyotes off your kill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't have had to kick but one. The rest they could have came back and eaten their buddy. If the other hung around they could have had a smorgasbord. I always carry a yote killer my back don't like kicking.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Well.... what a crazy first day! Saw 10 this morning. Lobbed a hail marry shot at a nice 6 in velvet. Shot way low.
Hit a twig at 25 yards and sent a bolt over a big nanny’s back. All the others were out of bow range.

This evening I switched it up about 100 yards from my spot this morning for a pinch point.

On my walk in i scared the dickens out of a jogger. Then as I was crossing the back end of a cove I scared a couple camping. They had no clue they were on gamelands lol.

Things settled down once I found the tree I wanted to climb. It was a beautiful afternoon and at about 7pm here comes a doe. She walked up broadside for an easy 10 yards shot. She bolted after the shot and I heard her crash on the ridge above me but I couldnt see her. I was confident in the shot and decided to wait for a while. At about 745 I begin to here noises coming from the ridge I thought I heard her crash. I never saw anything but definitely heard things moving about.

I climbed down right at dark and began looking for my doe. I was not impressed with the blood trail but I was able to locate her based upon where I thought she fell.

Once I got to her I was shocked. What I had heard on the ridge was actually coyotes eating her. I was not pleased. Internal organs and guts were ripped completely out of her and slung all over the place. One half of a back ham was ruined and both of the inside tenderloins.

I hiked my gear out and skinned what remained of my doe. On my way out I had a coyote watching me on the hill...

How many of y’all have had 2 kick coyotes off your kill?

I’ve lost 2 to yotes over the years.

1 similar to your situation... scary sound to hear them crunching bones etc

I approached them for a shot and they ran off

NCbowhunter11b

Six Pointer
Got home last night from work with only about two hours to hunt on opening day. Got it done in the first hour. Extremely blessed.

1e189396f10716a6b5f69b4f29be5ec0.jpg

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Walked in about 2.2mi on the trail. Clouds rolled in and socked the mtn in with fog.

This dude came rollin out of the jungle at 11 steps. Couldn’t turn him down. Back to car with goodies by 11

Good start to season.
View attachment 32716View attachment 32717View attachment 32718
Forgot details last night.

That country is steep and covered in neck high seasonal briars, nettles, sedges, etc. literally a jungle, broken by open boulder fields and creek washes.
3778896F-0CDD-4716-A304-25D74835ABAA.jpeg
Most times you hear them coming through the brush, and parallel them til there’s a little cut in the nettles to afford a shot in the vitals.

I heard him coming, and he buffaloed out of that mess at 11 steps quartering hard to me. I bleated soft and he did what I needed.

Pumped him in the brisket and the bolt disappeared between his neck and shoulder.
Perfect. So close all the scope holdovers were on him, plus accounting for mechanical offset of that rail...

He took it, went about 20 yards in a half moon and I watched his head crash down in the brush.

2” schwacker was all the way back past his liver. Cut heart in half, bisected one lung, cut the other, and poked into gut. No exit. Perfect since I only clean gutless. Got everything off including the sweet meats. Had to leave the heart. Too much junk.

Got the bolt and broadhead back. Bent blade was only damage.

Gorgeous place for a 45 minute hunt and hike.
355D8CE6-AC9F-4340-88E9-C00CC124C74A.jpeg

Attachments

• 5D939AC2-923B-4DC6-84F9-0316BEF8B25F.jpeg
    5D939AC2-923B-4DC6-84F9-0316BEF8B25F.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 22