Little Bullheads!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
We went out behind the house yesterday evening to do some mixed bag fishing. We laid the smack down on trout most of the spring and early summer but the rivers are way down and temps are up. Figured we’d get the occasional trout at sundown, some bluegill, and different bass species. But the highlight ended up being bullhead cats. Never knew they were in there. They were biting like crazy. Gonna eat some for dinner tonight. That being said...are they native to here? Just curious is all. How do y’all like to cook em up

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
bullhead (4 or 5 types) are native to NC,,,,now to that body of water I have no idea

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Which “body of water”?
Cane River in Yancey County. Everything from blue gill to trout to spotted bass and all kinds of critters (otter, beaver, hellbender) etc. I guess I was just ignorant to the fact that bullheads even existed. Always caught bigger channel cats from bigger waters

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Cane has some beautiful water for certain. No telling what you’ll catch in some of those big deep holes.

Between the N & S Toes, the Toe and the Cane, Yancey fishing is a pretty well kept secret!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
The Cane has some beautiful water for certain. No telling what you’ll catch in some of those big deep holes.

Between the N & S Toes, the Toe and the Cane, Yancey fishing is a pretty well kept secret!
I’ve heard seeing hellbenders is a good sign of clean water. I’d have to look into that claim though. Nice to see someone else from western NC. I know there’s some other folks on here too. Seen your posts but never made the connection.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
We went out behind the house yesterday evening to do some mixed bag fishing. We laid the smack down on trout most of the spring and early summer but the rivers are way down and temps are up. Figured we’d get the occasional trout at sundown, some bluegill, and different bass species. But the highlight ended up being bullhead cats. Never knew they were in there. They were biting like crazy. Gonna eat some for dinner tonight. That being said...are they native to here? Just curious is all. How do y’all like to cook em up
You catch many smallmouth any size to em.