Limb Driven rest

rageslinger

Four Pointer
Really thinking about switching to limb driven drop away this year. Been shooting a QAD for years. Anyone have a limb driven rest they really like?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No personal experience as I shoot qad bit hamskea and limbdriver would be too two if I were looking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Trophy taker smack down pro has been on my bow 4 or 5 seasons. No issues.

I didn’t like qad tied into a cable.
Qad is a fine rest.
Limb driven made tuning easier for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Trophy taker smack down pro has been on my bow 4 or 5 seasons. No issues.

I didn’t like qad tied into a cable.
Qad is a fine rest.
Limb driven made tuning easier for me.

I’ve had a QAD on my bow (whichever bow that was) since 2006. I’ve never had the first issue with them. What action mechanizes the new ones?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve had a QAD on my bow (whichever bow that was) since 2006. I’ve never had the first issue with them. What action mechanizes the new ones?

Same. Qad is a down cable rest.
Fine rest. No problems.
It just takes me longer to mess with them tuning wise.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Same. Qad is a down cable rest.
Fine rest. No problems.
It just takes me longer to mess with them tuning wise.

So, what mechanism makes the "limb driven" part function? I'm all for "less is more", but I honestly haven't kept up with this technology.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So, what mechanism makes the "limb driven" part function? I'm all for "less is more", but I honestly haven't kept up with this technology.
The rest cord is tied to the limb instead of the cable and where a QAD works by tension created by the cables on the draw the limb driven works by tension created by the limbs flex on release.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Also don't need a press to install the limb driven chords like you do with a QAD where the cord is installed and tied into the cable. Granted there are those ghetto set screws that you could use with a cable driven rest.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The rest cord is tied to the limb instead of the cable and where a QAD works by tension created by the cables on the draw the limb driven works by tension created by the limbs flex on release.

So, the attractiveness is that it can be repaired, more easily/handily in the field?

If that's correct, I understand the attraction....and thanks.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So, the attractiveness is that it can be repaired, more easily/handily in the field?

If that's correct, I understand the attraction....and thanks.
That's an advantage that gets quoted a lot for sure. My biggest complaint with them and it's a personal preference is you can't precock them like you can the QAD and I just don't like looking at my arrow slanted hanging on the bow holder.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
From a tuning standpoint the limb driven rests don't drop as early in the power stroke which can guide the arrow longer before the rest drops. Helps steer the arrow if your bow isnt as in tune as it could be. If I shot 3D competitively as opposed to fun and hunting practice I'd probably run the hamskea on a dedicated target setup but for hunting the QAD is what I prefer.

I am also shooting QAD but would look at the Hamskea or Smackdown if I were to switch. Like others have mentioned, the limb driven rests are basically opposite from the QAD. The rest "naturally" wants to be in the up/loaded position but is held down by the limbs until you draw the bow thereby releasing the tension holding the rest down and it raises up. The advantage to these is that the arrow is guided by the rest a little longer than a traditional drop away. I am on the boat with more containment while hunting with the QAD.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I like the Hamskea Hunter Hybrid Pro and the Trinity. I don't have any issues with the QAD from a mechanical perspective. But the QAD is a bit of a pain during the tuning process since it is tied into the cables. A twist here or there, a mod change, or poundage change all effect a QAD and timing.

If you don't work on your own stuff, then that PITA is the burden of your bow guy. :) Once you get a QAD set, it's money.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro. Seen too many QADs fail. Previously had a 10yo TT Smackdown Pro that I can't say too much bad about, but it isn't anywhere near the quality of my Hamskea.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro. Seen too many QADs fail. Previously had a 10yo TT Smackdown Pro that I can't say too much bad about, but it isn't anywhere near the quality of my Hamskea.
I'm not trying to start an argument but I'm genuinely curious, how many exactly have you seen fail? And what was the failure? I've heard "stories" but never met anyone personally that had one fail.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
I'm not trying to start an argument but I'm genuinely curious, how many exactly have you seen fail? And what was the failure? I've heard "stories" but never met anyone personally that had one fail.
Two of them that failed in the up position at the shot, and a third that had one break. The last time it happened was 3 days before he was flying up to hunt with me. We spent the evening of the first day he was here installing and tuning a new rest. I don't recall the details around the one that "broke", but I will see him this weekend and ask for more details.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Two of them that failed in the up position at the shot, and a third that had one break. The last time it happened was 3 days before he was flying up to hunt with me. We spent the evening of the first day he was here installing and tuning a new rest. I don't recall the details around the one that "broke", but I will see him this weekend and ask for more details.

The term "seen" was misused in my initial post...I should have been more careful with words. These are two of my closest buddies, and not some random ArcheryTalk posters whom I am claiming their experience. It is a small sample set and could be a fluke...but that was enough to have me avoid them at all cost. The two prominent bow tuners/builders that I bought my last 2 bows from also steered me away from that particular brand due to their experiences. Hence the TT and Hamskea on my last bows.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
I should add QAD in all instances had extremely good customer service. Probably not fair of me to criticize them without pointing out how they handled it.