Lightweight Rifle Scopes

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Looking to re-glass my lightweight 308. Currently it has a cheap Weaver Kaspa 2-7x that weighs approximately 12oz, and has worked well but just isn’t the greatest quality. This is my go-to gun and while most of my shots are under 100 yards, I do occasionally take some that are pushing 300, but I don’t really need a top end power more than 7 or 8x, but would definitely be willing to go higher if the scope doesn’t weigh a ton. Any one have any suggestions?

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
My go to for shorter lightweight rifles has always been the Leupold Vari Xiii or VX3 2.5-8x36
That’s one of the ones I’ve been looking at for sure, I haven’t seen many others that can match that quality, price and weight. Just curious to see if there were other options I had missed.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That’s one of the ones I’ve been looking at for sure, I haven’t seen many others that can match that quality, price and weight. Just curious to see if there were other options I had missed.
Without doubling the cost, not much.

You might look at the Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35

11.4” long and weighs 12 oz

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
A fixed 6x Leupold will do well for those ranges. I have 3 rifles with 6x scopes and have not found them lacking in hunting situations.

<>< Fish
How do they do for up-close shots? All 3 of the deer I shot this year were under 50 yards, I think all of them were shot on 2 or 3x

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
never felt handicaped with my Leopold fixed 6x,,, as long as gun fits you, when you put it up for those close shots the crosshairs are right there,,,,

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
A 4x German #4 with an illuminated post would be my “end of times” optic
The glass on the pre Artemis Meopta I'm using is too good. It really tempts the rule not to use your scope as an alternative to binoculars. I had to buy some Steiner's just to remove that temptation.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
The glass on the pre Artemis Meopta I'm using is too good. It really tempts the rule not to use your scope as an alternative to binoculars. I had to buy some Steiner's just to remove that temptation.
My brother has really gotten into the Trig scopes just for their speed chevron. It’s a badas$$ reticle. Especially for hogs and beanfield deer where all your shots are the waning seconds of light.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Razor lh 2-10x42. You can find them on rockslide and snipers hide etc.. I have one if you’d like to look through it. The vx3’s mentioned will do everything you want them too as well. Just depends on how good of glass you want.

tbear2

Spike
Razor lh 2-10x42. You can find them on rockslide and snipers hide etc.. I have one if you’d like to look through it. The vx3’s mentioned will do everything you want them too as well. Just depends on how good of glass you want.
L

tbear2

Spike
Another vote for the Leupold fixed 6X. No knobs to adjust, durable, & large eye box. I have them on a number of my rifles. They just work. If the Leupold is a bit pricey for you I hear good things about the Weaver fixed 6X. Not quite as good of a low light glass but I'm told good enough for legal shooting light.
Some other fixed power options at higher price points than Leupold that have even better glass. I have never found my Leupold fixed powers lacking even past legal shooting time.
Good luck in your selection.
tbear.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can also look at the older Leupold stuff. They hold their own with the modern variable power scopes and are available in many fixed powers.
Light compared to most quality variable power scopes and can be found reasonable. Still under lifetime warranty too.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My go to for shorter lightweight rifles has always been the Leupold Vari Xiii or VX3 2.5-8x36

^^^This.
I have a pair of Winchester Featherweights (.308 & .30/'06) with that scope on each and both are tack drivers. Love that scope so much I also put one on my muzzleloader.

Jim

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
^^^This.
I have a pair of Winchester Featherweights (.308 & .30/'06) with that scope on each and both are tack drivers. Love that scope so much I also put one on my muzzleloader.

Jim
Good to hear, I ended up buying a Leupold VX3 HD 2.5-8x36, with their veterans discount it was too good to pass up

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
How do they do for up-close shots? All 3 of the deer I shot this year were under 50 yards, I think all of them were shot on 2 or 3x
FX-2 6x36 on a remington 700 sps tactical 20" hb with dnz game reapers was my go to for years. I shot everywhere from 30 yards to 500 yards with it. With my eyes it was tough to get a decent kickoff past 450 but i managed. Still kick myself for selling that rifle. Ran hornady american whitetail 150gn interlocks never lost a deer. If i shot it went down

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Should’ve taken some pictures of the targets, groups at 100 with the new Leupold were WELL under 1MOA and the quality of the glass was so much better than the old weaver. With a 100yd zero, I could just dial up the turret and consistently hit out to 400 on a 12” steel target. Not sure if I’ll order a CDS turret or not.