Light or Heavy bullets?

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
For deer, I don’t think it matters much, especially if you’re shooting a .25 and up. Light if you want the trajectory, heavy if you’re more concerned about energy, but they’ll both kill a deer with the right shot placement. Obviously with bigger game like elk it would be preferable to get a heavier bullet, but I think bullet construction matters more than weight. Especially with the .308 150gr copper bullets i shoot now, length wise they’re similar to a lot of 165s and they’re tough enough to still give me more penetration than I ever got with softer, heavier bullets.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I don't mind light bullets that are not basic cup and core designs. A-Frames, Partitions and bonded lighter than standard bullets have worked well for me in the past. Given the choice I'll pick a middle of the road weight for deer hunting calibers.

<>< Fish

Fishhunt-365

Eight Pointer
I mostly deer hunt. So I try and find what load and bullet weight that each of my deer rifles like the best.

For instance my .270 will not give me a decent group with anything but a 150 grain projectile.

My .243 like the 100 grainersbig ten four on 08

My 7mm08 is deadly with 139 grain factory loaded stuff. No need to fix something not broke.

30/30 shoots the PMC 150 grain bullets like laser beams out to 100 yrds

Guybo

Eight Pointer
For the 25.06 i've always shot the 120gr same with the .260. For the 30.06 and .308 i have always liked the 125gr or 130gr bullet and have killed a lot of deer with plain ole cup and core bullets with both with no issues. If i used a 30.06 these days my bullet of choice would be either the Nosler 125gr Accubond or the Barnes 130gr TSX or TTSX. My brother uses the 125gr Accubond from his .308 and absolutely hammers deer with that combo. As someone already mentioned, i think bullet placement and bullet construction is the key when using light for caliber bullets.