Lever gun challenge

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Im not a Marlin aficionado so I dont know the model but my cousin had one chambered in 30-30 that kicked like a mule!

I've shot several in 30-30, 35rem and 444 and never noticed much recoil except for that paticular gun. Anyone else ever have the same experience?
Just curious if it was a specific model or not.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im not a Marlin aficionado so I dont know the model but my cousin had one chambered in 30-30 that kicked like a mule!

I've shot several in 30-30, 35rem and 444 and never noticed much recoil except for that paticular gun. Anyone else ever have the same experience?

A Winchester 94 can thump your shoulder pretty good in a tee shirt and a less than proper hold.

Possum

Button Buck
Very nice, it has a hammer extension so there was probably an associated scope at one time?
It did, he said they put a cheap one on it when they first got it, then it eventually got taken off.
I'm wanting to put one back on it. Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap scope?

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
It did, he said they put a cheap one on it when they first got it, then it eventually got taken off.
I'm wanting to put one back on it. Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap scope?
A 2x7x33 Leupold would be great.

I found a used Nikon for mine that is a good fit also, Burris makes one too I believe.
If your looking for a deal by used, but for God's sake don't put a 50mm scope on it [emoji3]

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Be careful with cheap scopes. A buddy of mine put a Simmons on his rifle and either missed or wounded three deer in a week's time. I gave him an old Leupold M8 4X and he started dropping deer because his rifle would hit exactly where he was holding it with that better quality scope.

Jim

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Granddaddy handed me down his Marlin .30-30 year ago and I use it from time to time as it is an outstanding gun in the thick mountain brush. This weekend it killed a personal best. It was me, my son, my grandad's gun and my great grandad's Case knife on this hunt. It's cool to look back and think about having 4 generations involved with this harvest.

It also dawned on my this morning that my grandad, dad, myself and my son have all harvested a whitetail with this gun.

It is one of my prized possessions no doubt!

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

Maybe a steel or thin plastic recoil pad?
I have a few Ruger No 1 in 45-70
One will kill you the other is fun to shoot.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe a steel or thin plastic recoil pad?
I have a few Ruger No 1 in 45-70
One will kill you the other is fun to shoot.
All I remember about it was it had a gold trigger and was fairly heavy. You would think the weight would have helped with recoil but Im telling ya it would thump you...lol

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Wow she's sweet!!! Bet you had to pony up some serious coin.
Thanks, yeah It wasn't cheap haha. Right at a grand, so a little high but not unreasonable for condition and features. All the new ones I found were 8-900, and most JM models I found were at least that much. Wish I'd picked one up a few years ago before they skyrocketed.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Thanks, yeah It wasn't cheap haha. Right at a grand, so a little high but not unreasonable for condition and features. All the new ones I found were 8-900, and most JM models I found were at least that much. Wish I'd picked one up a few years ago before they skyrocketed.

That’s a fun shooter. Shot that doe in my profile pic with one that has a skinner peep on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
That’s a fun shooter. Shot that doe in my profile pic with one that has a skinner peep on it.

That's the next thing. Trying to decide on sticking with the buckhorn sights or going with Williams or Skinner. Definitely want to stick with irons though.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Two rifles I miss.

Pre-64 Winchester 94 30/30 and a 300 Savage that was my granddads.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
The last two I set up have Ranger Point Precision sights. One has the round and one has a clover leaf. I’m going to order another round to change out the cloverleaf for next year. I do like RPP though. I used to do all skinner, but like the RPP better

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
The last two I set up have Ranger Point Precision sights. One has the round and one has a clover leaf. I’m going to order another round to change out the cloverleaf for next year. I do like RPP though. I used to do all skinner, but like the RPP better

02a222b4a19afd55bc8111206296963c.jpg

b2a7525457cace18495e28898d45e3a8.jpg

Mophet

Button Buck
I use a Nikon Prostaf Shotgun 2-7 and have been pretty happy with it. Would not want to go any bigger.

Attachments

• 99342744-E380-4CD5-8AFA-87D8EE7578D9.jpeg
    99342744-E380-4CD5-8AFA-87D8EE7578D9.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 17

nchunter78

Six Pointer
I am starting to think this new lever gun is bad luck. I haven't seen a deer when this thing has been with me. Someone talk me off the cliff, I mean there's no way a lever action rifle can be a bad luck gun.....right?

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I am starting to think this new lever gun is bad luck. I haven't seen a deer when this thing has been with me. Someone talk me off the cliff, I mean there's no way a lever action rifle can be a bad luck gun.....right?

Right. Not many people are seeing deer. Cams mostly nighttime pics only.
It ain't the gun. It ain't just you. The weather has alot to do with it.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
I’m going to get involved with the Lever Action Challenge tomorrow. Since it’s going to do some raining, I’m going to do some slipping, and I borrowed my sons Marlin 45/70. Seems like that will be a great gun for close quarters.

902CAC57-4631-4C4C-B521-DA8AD98117B6.jpeg