Lever gun challenge

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nah....lol

I haven't killed anything with it yet but I love to hunt with it.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t part with it either.
I’ve got a couple 30/30’s, one 336 and another 336 clone, but a 336 in a .35 is on my list.
A Winchester M94 Big Bore AE in .375 Winchester is too... I even know where one is, but he won’t part with it...lol!!

I’d even take a Marlin 375.... if I could find one....

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Got to hopefull kill one with my 35 Remington as I was willed it and need to kill a deer with it....I just got the 357 mag last winter and it shoots very good. Need to get the trigger lightened or replaced and it should be a tackdriver. The 30-30 has killed more game than the law allows.
My new lease In Mongontmery Co really calls for my 270 but we will see.

***and can you tell I despise big scopes on lever actions. big front objective ones are not needed for 30-30, 357, 35 rem, 38-55 and so on.

EDIT....That 357 Mag Rifle is shooting 1.08 in at 50 yards which i think isnt too shabby with the rest I had and the trigger.
1-IMG_0437.JPG

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
You can do a side mount. I did one for my Grandad in his M94 .44 Magnum

also, see above post where I despise big scopes on rounds that are 200 yards minus but I used to despise any scope on a lever action until I got older. I did purchase a side mount for my Winchester but havent had the nerve to put it on yet. YET.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
also, see above post where I despise big scopes on rounds that are 200 yards minus but I used to despise any scope on a lever action until I got older. I did purchase a side mount for my Winchester but havent had the nerve to put it on yet. YET.
Granddaddy used it open sights until his vision got so bad he couldn’t use them anymore.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
No pictures but I plan on hunting with me Marlin (pre safety) 336 Octagon 30/30 regular open sights. Also hope to hunt with the newly aquired Henry 357 Big Boy Steel with a Skinner peep. Also looking for any suggestions on good hunting bullets for the 357 as this is a new hunting caliber for me.

Like 45/70 said 158 gr JSP flats work. I shoot Remington 158 jsp . I have yet to take my Marlin 357 Mag Deer hunting(got in DEC2019) but I have killed deer with those remington's In a TC Contender and a S&W out to 75 yards.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
How do you like that 338ME?

I like love them both. I have a MX and a MXLR. Both are very accurate rifles. They will out shoot me any day. On average I can shoot MOA groups with them. Shot my best 3 shot group ever with any rifle, with the MX. the group measured less than 0.5” at 100. If I am shooting good this rifle will do 0.75” 100 yard groups all day long. I have killed coyotes, deer and feral pigs with them. I had one pig, a 200 lb boar run about 20 yards on a quartering away shot. The other pig, all the deer 10 or 12 and a few yotes all DRT, like the hammer of Thor. They are scoped as they are easily 300 yard rifles. They could easily stretch to 450, if you know the distances and use some sort of compensating reticle or dial. I can hold them In about a six inch group out to that distance. The MX with the blued 22” barrel is handier and faster handling than the 24” barreled stainless barreled MXLR. Killed more deer with the MXLR though. I would say if you could but your hands on one for around $1000 and you like Marlin Leverguns you would be happy. Just make sure it don’t have barrel droop, the barrel is not square with the receiver. This makes the barrel point down, but there are way more good rifles than bad ones. Ruger brings them back they are going to sell.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I already won.

73b5fab787aa7737aad14b29af491a5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
My Marlin 1894S (.44 Mag) has been my go-to for the last 20 or so years. I bet I've carried and used it 95% + of the time I've carried a rifle to hunt deer. IIRC ... it's the only firearm I have actually killed deer with besides my ML during that time. It is a rare occurrence when I hunt someplace where I could get a shot past 50 or so yards..

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a hard time choosing which lever action to take. I still have to say my favorites are the 35 Rem and 444 Marlin. I still have a 375 Winchester that I haven't taken out yet. Took quite awhile to find the brass and bullets to get some ammo going. Maybe this year will be the maiden voyage for it. (for me anyway)

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a hard time choosing which lever action to take. I still have to say my favorites are the 35 Rem and 444 Marlin. I still have a 375 Winchester that I haven't taken out yet. Took quite awhile to find the brass and bullets to get some ammo going. Maybe this year will be the maiden voyage for it. (for me anyway)
I’m over here drooling at that .375 Win, and I don’t even know which one it is...lol!!!

At the rate I’m going, I’m just gonna have to wait until my FIL passes before I’ll get my mitts on one... lol!!!

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I'm in. If I get to go deer hunting this year, I'll carry a 30-30. I have a "JL" model with irons and a 94AE with a 3x9 scope at least try it one day !

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
to the person who asked about this little challenge, If I remember correctly it started out as a Thanksgiving weekend thing.

I hope to shoot one with one of my this year, probably the Savage 99 in 243.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I'm using my Henry Long Ranger .308 all season! Can't wait to get my first one with it!
I like the Long Ranger and have been looking into them.
How is yours accuracy wise?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I wish I still had my 270 BLR. That was an honest 1/2" gun with factory Remy 130 gr core lokt ammo.

JonGage

Button Buck

Its great. I've only shot it once at the range in Ellerbee so far, but it was shooting dead-on at 50, 100, and 150 once I sighted it in at 100. I have a Vortex 4-16 scope on it that is very easy to use.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Was gonna open sight lever gun hunt this year. Went to the gun store to look and came home with my opensighted rifle.... a cz in 7.62x39. It’s a bolt, but it’s my lever gun?!

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Was gonna open sight lever gun hunt this year. Went to the gun store to look and came home with my opensighted rifle.... a cz in 7.62x39. It’s a bolt, but it’s my lever gun?!
CZ makes a fine firearm. I saw a huge buck killed in Anson Co. way back by a young lady that I'd love to have taken.
A lever, is a lever, is a lever.
Best of luck !

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Wait now, are you talking about taking the buck or the young lady? Inquiring minds want to know!

Admins, if this is in too poor taste just delete and scold me soundly.
I'm sorry.
Let me clarify.
The buck was an awesome example of a Southern Whitetail.
The young lady was the teenage daughter of a friend of mine. So, no. Not at all what you were wondering about.

Dang Gastonians..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: