Letters to Landowners for 2020

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I sent out 3 today for about 115 acres total right down the road from my house. 3 different landowners and most of the land is connected to the other. My letters included a little info about myself.......mutual friends/family we may have (if any).........and an offer to post the entire property with signs and paint. I gave them 3 ways to contact me ....phone ...email.....address.......I have no discussion of money in them, but will entertain that if it comes up.

Just posted this because I know I put this off in the past.....wanted to get a jump on these places for 2020 !! You may want to do the same!

If you don’t ask....you will never know

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Have you had success with sending letters in the past? I have only tried it once and never got any response. There are several places around my house that have absentee owners (live in other towns/states) that I’d like to ask for permission but assumed it wasn’t worth the effort.

nchunter78

Six Pointer
I bet I have sent out at least 50 to 70 over the past two years. Usually, I do not hear a word. When I do hear back, it is usually a polite "No" because of various reasons. Sometimes it is a "no" that is not so polite but that is rare.

I have yet to get a Yes from a letter....but all it takes is one to make it all worthwhile.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have you had success with sending letters in the past? I have only tried it once and never got any response. There are several places around my house that have absentee owners (live in other towns/states) that I’d like to ask for permission but assumed it wasn’t worth the effort.
No.... usually do face to face but these are absentee landowners..... but kin to some friends so I have a shot with these. I sent handwritten letters also.... more of a personal touch....

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No.... usually do face to face but these are absentee landowners..... but kin to some friends so I have a shot with these. I sent handwritten letters also.... more of a personal touch....

I know sometimes it’s impossible to do face to face but I would at least do all I could to make a phone contact. I own two farms and would never entertain a letter. But would at least talk to them on phone.

With that being said I do have one lease that i actually obtained thru a letter. But I tried all other means to contact land owner with no success. But my letter only requested she contact me in regards to her property to discuss issues we where having with another club hunting her land. She was highly upset to find out people where hunting her land so she leased it to us to help police her land.

Good luck it only takes one.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Not, letters but I have successfully contacted landowners through phone calls, then arranged meetings with them. None were out of state, but some did live considerable distances across the state. I drove to them, so they could meet me. I would consider that time well spent.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
slick move,,,,

Yeah kinda of but the main issue was they where going through her land and accessing our land. She is from out of town and just assumed no one was hunting her land. When we first spoke with her she had no interest in leasing to us. We asked could we at least put a gate up on her side. She decided to come down and when she saw how bad her farm was tore up she called and immediately leased it to us.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
We get letters all the time most are from out of state, we try to answer them all but we do not lease to individuals anymore we lease to clubs ,51% of the clubs members must be locals we consider locals within 30 miles of the club land.We do not lease to still hunting clubs in counties that allow the use of dogs to hunt deer. Found out things work better by doing this.

Last edited:

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Can't hurt to try. Establishing some kind of connection sure helps though.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Jackpot........got a call from the biggest place I was trying to get permission to hunt. It’s a win for the home team!!! I am stoked about the potential in this property. 2 year old cutover w a gas line on the back property line......good timber standing in the creek/ drainages.....so plenty of hunt-able property.

Got a text from the lady that owns the smaller piece adjacent to this one stating they have some family hunting their part......nothing from the 3rd one because the letter kicked back to me. So 100 % response on the letters reaching the property owners.

I have written several letters (new to the state - no referrals to offer) and had similar responses to everyone here who gets denied. I have a better idea on what to say and how to say it now and to offer manual labor services on the property so hopefully this year will be better. The nearest game land (where I have found a sweeeeeet spot for both turkey and deer) is an hour away. I don't want to give that one up totally but I would prefer something a bit closer to home. ;)