Let's talk snow blowers.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
After this last dumping I have considered a snow blower. It would be mostly for work with commercial retail parking lot/sidewalks. I would also use it for home, other business owners home and maybe my MIL's if she's nice. I Would still need get the parking lot plowed for the bulk of it.

I get screwed at entrance by county plows (no fault to them) so would help there, not to mention widening after plow to get tractor trailers to loading dock. I have fairly good size lot so need the SOB to throw some snow.

Been shopping around little off web and Honda seems to get good reviews and they also have pretty hefty price compared to other brands. the nice thing with a Honda for me is a place down road can service it if needed, which is a bonus.

Anyone got any thoughts on them? I moved south hoping to never have to worry about this again, but here I am.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Don't see many them in south I have no experience growing up in mtns us boys were the old mans snow blower/shovelershoveler. Good luck if like other Honda stuff one would probably last very long time as little as would use it

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I worked for Toro and had one of their CCR blade snow blowers. It would not handle ice, but it would throw more snow than any other blower out there. Had to be careful as it would throw snow so far i could bury the kids playing next door.

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
After this last dumping I have considered a snow blower. It would be mostly for work with commercial retail parking lot/sidewalks. I would also use it for home, other business owners home and maybe my MIL's if she's nice. I Would still need get the parking lot plowed for the bulk of it.

I get screwed at entrance by county plows (no fault to them) so would help there, not to mention widening after plow to get tractor trailers to loading dock. I have fairly good size lot so need the SOB to throw some snow.

Been shopping around little off web and Honda seems to get good reviews and they also have pretty hefty price compared to other brands. the nice thing with a Honda for me is a place down road can service it if needed, which is a bonus.

Anyone got any thoughts on them? I moved south hoping to never have to worry about this again, but here I am.
I actually talked to 3 different people since the storm that tried to use them any it was such a wet snow they were useless. Talked to a guy in Hendersonville this afternoon that does snow removal and has a big commercial blower used it for 5 minutes and took it back home. Don't know if this helps or not

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a Toro. It's one of the smaller gas ones. It works great for sidewalks or small driveways. I blow an area in the yard for the dog to go out. Good fluffy snow is great and will blow it a long way. Its doesn't like wet slushy snow like where the plow comes by. If it has water running out of it just dont even bother.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
What about ATV and attaching a blade to the front of it and you could attach a small salt spreader to the back of it. This way, ICE or SNOW, you are covered.
I had the larger CCR with electric start. If I was ever to be in an area again where I need a snowblower it would be my first choice. Two stage snowblower for the most part is too much.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I don't think a snowblower is not the best choice for you. Once snow has been moved a snowblower is pretty useless.
If you have a wide parking lot, and you won't be able to throw it off the end of the lot, or off to the side, it's not gonna work for you. If you want to knock back snowbanks and the edges of areas that have already been plowed, you need something with a bucket.
I used to live in a Lake Effect Snow area. We averaged over 300" of snow a year for the 20+ years I lived there, so I have a little experience with them. I've got a 6 foot blower on the back of a 50HP tractor. I've used it most every winter in the 6 years I've lived in NC. We live on a gravel road, and the County Road getting here doesn't see much love from the DOT. This past storm I blew off our road, and then 3/4 mile of County Road so we could get out. They are good on roads and driveways, but not parking lots or entrances that have been plowed. They are just too hard for the augers to chew into. The blower just ends up riding up on top of them.
My 2 cents.
Joe

Reactions: dpc

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

If you need one call the Town & Country Hardware stores in Cary. They purchased some equipment from someone who went out of business and some snowblowers were part of the package they bought. they were bought CHEAP so I am sure you could get them cheap.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My Scag Leaf Blower on wheels worked great on that dry snow we had earlier this year. I blew 10" off my entire driveway and parking pad and my brothers turn around area. Sorta red neck but it worked great because the snow was so dry.