Lets hunt a species for which we have no data for

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Probably like all that buck sign you saw, yet you never connect. :rolleyes: You 'see' and 'hear' a lot. You don't produce much of anything but hot air.

:rolleyes:

Whatever.

I've never seen a lot of buck sign on the Pisgah but you keep claiming I do.

(And not all of it has been from big ones)

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe you shouldn't comment without professional experience?

Again, I ask your credentials and how the study should be done.

A PROFESSIONAL in the wildlife field has told you there's no way to know until they're dead. If they're not showing up in hunter surveys where the should, they're in trouble. If they do, they're not.

That's reality.

Go dig some crawlers and catch a couple trout rather than digging links.

So why is it that other states can survey them?

Are their biologists more professional?

Lame answers to try to cover for no data.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a novel question but since you don't seriously pursue these animals what difference does it really mean to you anyway other than an issue to piss and moan about?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I have a novel question but since you don't seriously pursue these animals what difference does it really mean to you anyway other than an issue to piss and moan about?

You don't hunt them either so why do you care?

I'll complain about mismanaged wildlife.

I guess it offends the 'professionals' :rolleyes:

College educated wildlife biologists can do no wrong

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You don't hunt them either so why do you care?

I'll complain about mismanaged wildlife.

I guess it offends the 'professionals' :rolleyes:

College educated wildlife biologists can do no wrong
Actually I do rabbit hunt, I imagine I harvest more in a year than you probably have in your life. Many right across the line in east Tn, so you as usual don't have a clue what you are talking about.

And you as an uneducated internet expert on wildlife mgmt. really don't have a clue what the men and women that are educated professionals do. And I would say that yes, having uneducated trolls complaining about something they don't have a clue about in the first place probably would irritate them to some degree.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Actually I do rabbit hunt, I imagine I harvest more in a year than you probably have in your life. Many right across the line in east Tn, so you as usual don't have a clue what you are talking about.

And you as an uneducated internet expert on wildlife mgmt. really don't have a clue what the men and women that are educated professionals do. And I would say that yes, having uneducated trolls complaining about something they don't have a clue about in the first place probably would irritate them to some degree.

You can't defend this.

Keep trying though.

I doubt TN has any data on their appalachian cottontails either.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can't defend this.

Keep trying though.

I doubt TN has any data on their appalachian cottontails either.
I am not trying to defend it, I am saying your crazy for making an issue over it. Borderline tree hugger

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
“Ideally, we need distribution and densities of both swamp rabbits and Appalachian cottontails,” said Applegate. “The habitats are changing for both of these species and currently we have no way to monitor if it is having an affect on population numbers or the range of these species.”

https://news.tn.gov/node/3571

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You were the one who complained the NCWRC didn't focus on small game enough.
Nope I stated small game was small potatoes to them. Big difference than pissing and moaning like you do.

You was the one the last time you brought this very item to say to have a season on any game be it fish, bird, fowl or animal there should be a study. Which is completely ridiculous. States would go bankrupt funding crap like that.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Nope I stated small game was small potatoes to them. Big difference than pissing and moaning like you do.

You was the one the last time you brought this very item to say to have a season on any game be it fish, bird, fowl or animal there should be a study. Which is completely ridiculous. States would go bankrupt funding crap like that.

Populations studies or data? Absolutely.

Funny how the NCWRC can survey animals like golden eagles and northern flying squirrels but not rabbits..............

Population studies are done all the time for animals like turkeys, moose, elk, bear, deer and cougars.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
What reality?

That these surveys of appalachian cottontails should have been done years ago?

Why were they not?

I'll wait for an answer.

Realities such as the lack of manpower and money that existed for a long time. Also realize that the small game biologist has been over a whole suite of species from quail and grouse to rabbits and squirrels. One biologist with no techs assigned to them simply can't perform the amount of fieldwork you're suggesting and keep up with all of their other duties as well. Field studies cost money. I've been living out of a suitcase since May doing fieldwork, while my boss has been tied up in meetings about management of the species' they're in charge of. This is the reality of wildlife management. While PR funds have been good the last few years, most of the time wildlife agencies operate on a shoestring. That's why many of these surveys don't get done. We'd love to have a small army of techs to perform these surveys. Do you have the money? We'll be waiting for your check. Tech salaries start at about $20,000/year and go up with education and experience. Don't forget to factor in benefits. Then there's equipment, supplies, vehicles, fuel……I know in your fairytale world none of this matters, but we're in the real world here…

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Populations studies or data? Absolutely.

Funny how the NCWRC can survey animals like golden eagles and northern flying squirrels but not rabbits..............
That is because you don't know anything about grant money. And many other things............................

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Realities such as the lack of manpower and money that existed for a long time. Also realize that the small game biologist has been over a whole suite of species from quail and grouse to rabbits and squirrels. One biologist with no techs assigned to them simply can't perform the amount of fieldwork you're suggesting and keep up with all of their other duties as well. Field studies cost money. I've been living out of a suitcase since May doing fieldwork, while my boss has been tied up in meetings about management of the species' they're in charge of. This is the reality of wildlife management. While PR funds have been good the last few years, most of the time wildlife agencies operate on a shoestring. That's why many of these surveys don't get done. We'd love to have a small army of techs to perform these surveys. Do you have the money? We'll be waiting for your check. Tech salaries start at about $20,000/year and go up with education and experience. Don't forget to factor in benefits. Then there's equipment, supplies, vehicles, fuel……I know in your fairytale world none of this matters, but we're in the real world here…

You want to give me the go ahead and permits to live rabbits for an appalachian cottontail survey, I'll do it. I know some spots to check.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He wants you to give him permits so he can live trap rabbits for a survey, and get his name attached basically. He thinks that is all there is to it. :rolleyes:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Northern flying squirrels are a lot easier to survey than bunnies. I've done it. Golden eagles get a lot of PR love for obvious reasons. Bunnies are just bunnies to most people.

Troll on. Sounds like some liberal garbage from a libtard UNCA alum.

Tell me again why you live in NC? You bitch about the politics and the management of the wildlife and fish.

It'd be hell to have to leave family and get a real job away from home huh?

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
First off, if you're going to criticize professionals you should proofread your post. Secondly, how do you intend to trap said rabbits? Are you following an actual scientific protocol or just "winging it"? What statistical models are you considering using? This is just the beginning…

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I'd focus on NCWRC game lands.

Putting traps in likely blocks of habitat.

Go out on the ground and look for likely coverts of rabbits. Place traps in the possible areas. Check traps for catches of appalachian cottontails.

Or one could copy the West Virginia DNR and their surveys of snowshoe hares with game cameras.

Game Cameras could be used to survey areas as well.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
How are you going to tell the difference? How are you going to tell reproductive rates? Predation rates? Litter survival rates? What's your control for said questions? How do you have a control for a species with limited habitat? (Species living further south than typical range due to elevation)

How are you going to mark them to track or log individual rabbits?

Track home range size?

How about what they eat?

Biggest threat? Just because they're rabbits don't mean they act the same and use the same cover or evasive techniques.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
How are you going to tell the difference? How are you going to tell reproductive rates? Predation rates? Litter survival rates? What's your control for said questions? How do you have a control for a species with limited habitat? (Species living further south than typical range due to elevation)

How are you going to mark them to track or log individual rabbits?

Track home range size?

How about what they eat?

Biggest threat? Just because they're rabbits don't mean they act the same and use the same cover or evasive techniques.

Woods rabbits are definitely a different species with different habitat requirements.

This would simply a survey to find out where they exist on the landscape. Not even that basic data is known by the NCWRC.

Keep getting all upset though.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I believe you were the one that had your fruit of the looms in a wad because there was no survey, now you are wanting to settle for a half done one because you have no clue what a real one entails.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I'd focus on NCWRC game lands.

Putting traps in likely blocks of habitat.

Go out on the ground and look for likely coverts of rabbits. Place traps in the possible areas. Check traps for catches of appalachian cottontails.

Or one could copy the West Virginia DNR and their surveys of snowshoe hares with game cameras.

Game Cameras could be used to survey areas as well.

Which game lands? What is a likely block of habitat? What constitutes a likely covert? How do you intend to identify Appalachians from Easterns? When will you trap? Is this a mark/recapture study or simply an occupancy study? How will you delineate habitat? This is just the beginning. These studies are not as simple as you think. Justin asked you legitimate questions that you would be asked by any competent biologist. Why did you get snippy with him? You need more than google to design a study…

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Easy.

Close the season for taking Appalachian cottontails.

If that also means closing the season for Sylvilagus floridianus as well, then so be it.

Ha ha ha ha… I wish I lived in fairytale world.

#1 is completely ineffective and unenforceable, and #2 is asinine. Neither are effective strategies to solve a problem with more questions than answers.

I'm sure you could get all this straightened out with a half dozen box traps though.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Which game lands? What is a likely block of habitat? What constitutes a likely covert? How do you intend to identify Appalachians from Easterns? When will you trap? Is this a mark/recapture study or simply an occupancy study? How will you delineate habitat? This is just the beginning. These studies are not as simple as you think. Justin asked you legitimate questions that you would be asked by any competent biologist. Why did you get snippy with him? You need more than google to design a study…

This is simply an occupancy study.

Are there appalachian cottontails here.

No more or less.

Some biologist wants more data, they can get it.

Heck biologist don't want any data now.