Let’s talk .22LR Bolt Actions

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Yep. If you have had a chance to look at the site I quoted earlier, under the CZ forum you can find a 25 yd. scoped thread. We shoot the matches, everyone using the same target, and submit your best of 4 targets each month and the results are posted at the end of the month. It is just a fun thing to see how you match up against the other participants. The target is a 25 bull sheet with one round per bull. That last thing I posted was a compilation of my 25 rounds from each individual target. That was my best thus far scoring a 247 out of a possible 250 with 10x. I was using SK Standard + ammo. Hopefully I will get to the point of being consistent in that score range and move out to the 50 and eventually the 100 yd. matches but I am just not shooting consistently enough yet at the shorter ranges plus I need more optics for the longer range stuff.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep. If you have had a chance to look at the site I quoted earlier, under the CZ forum you can find a 25 yd. scoped thread. We shoot the matches, everyone using the same target, and submit your best of 4 targets each month and the results are posted at the end of the month. It is just a fun thing to see how you match up against the other participants. The target is a 25 bull sheet with one round per bull. That last thing I posted was a compilation of my 25 rounds from each individual target. That was my best thus far scoring a 247 out of a possible 250 with 10x. I was using SK Standard + ammo. Hopefully I will get to the point of being consistent in that score range and move out to the 50 and eventually the 100 yd. matches but I am just not shooting consistently enough yet at the shorter ranges plus I need more optics for the longer range stuff.

What you shot is certainly nothing to sneeze at...
definitely more than good enough for what she’s intending to do.

I found a used 452 American that I hope to lay claim to this evening...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Go ahead and plan on a trigger job if you plan on wringing everything you can get out of it. They have pretty nice triggers but if you are trying hole for hole that little bit of creep they have just won't get it. They make kits for them or for the ones that know what they are doing a CZ trigger is a very easy job.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For you CZ guys... what are the primary differences between the 455 and 452 Americans?

Essentially they phased out the 452 and the 455 replaced it. The 455 is a little quicker/cost less to manufacture, but i think the only major difference is the way the barrel mounts to the action. i think the 452 used a threaded in barrel, where the 455 uses a pressed in barrel and taper pin. (something like that anyway. I think it's pretty easy to swap barrels on the 455 and have a setup for .22 and for .1 7 hmr but i may be making that last part up.

Someone above mentioned a Remington 512. I grew up shooting my grandfather's Remington 511 which is essentially the same gun just mag fed instead of tube fed. I love it, but it's not as easy to put a scope on as it wasn't factory drilled/tapped. The CZ's are extremely similar as far as how they feel.

If i was going with a new rifle, CZ would be my choice.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Go ahead and plan on a trigger job if you plan on wringing everything you can get out of it. They have pretty nice triggers but if you are trying hole for hole that little bit of creep they have just won't get it. They make kits for them or for the ones that know what they are doing a CZ trigger is a very easy job.

What can we reasonably expect from one?
1” group at 50 yards?
3/4” group at 50 yards?

Once we find ammo that it likes of course?

Not really looking for a bullet hole shooter, it’s going to be a squirrel gun and plinker mainly.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
5 shot .5" groups won't be much of a problem from a bench with bags at 50 yds. with a 452 and a 9X scope. It will take more scope and the good ammo but 1" groups at 100 yds. are doable. I know some guys that shoot sub 1" at 100 regularly but they spend a lot of time working at it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Winchester 52B is the best shooter I have. Next to that a winchester 75.
For newer stuff I would look at a winchester 94-22 lever or Browning lever 22.

For fun it is hard to beat a sa-22 browning take down.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer

1” group at 50 yards?
3/4” group at 50 yards?

Not really looking for a bullet hole shooter, it’s going to be a squirrel gun and plinker mainly.

With good ammo ie SK Standard Plus, Eley Club, Eley Target…. You should expect.5 @50y.

You just want to plink and stay within .75” I’d buy some cci Standard velocity. Or try some federal automatch.

Ammo is cheap right now, so if you find something it likes, buy a case!!

I shot this group this afternoon at 50y with Eley Subsonic out of my CZ 452 American. It was my best after re-zeroing my scope. All that to say, you won’t be sorry!

39d75ef4499ba5930d84767dc5ba048c.jpg

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Here’s my homemade $80 savage rascal. Broken shooting stick serves well as my adjustable stock.
Bag of rice and duct tape make a good cheek weld.

2/7/32 shotgun scope with BDC reticle and 50yd parallax.

Thing is shooting bugholes with 710fps HPs at 50 off that old bipod.

Only weighs 4# without the bipod.

Waiting to find me a nice full size CZ to play with tooView attachment 23486
Now thats a frankengun! I love it.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Whitaker’s is gtg, their Manager is a great guy and all have been pleasant to work with on transactions

As said above, 452 is threaded barrel to receiver vs pin on. 455 has pin on so aftermarket barrels are quick affairs.

There is also a difference in Trainer/Scout/Lux and American action screws with former having second screw in dovetailed recoil lug and American having both in action proper.

I’d look at DIP for bottom metal to replace stamped steel, bottom mag plate swap, rail for standard rings, etc. and YoDave Trigger Kit can get some down to low ounces just luck of draw.

American has 3/8th groove vs 11mm for others IIRC.

Scout with non floated factory stock and 4x Leupold = 3/8” 10 shot 50 yard group that my Anschütz 54 and American couldn’t match. They are gone, Scout gets buried with me. RWS 50 is the darling of this and many CZs. Took Kid 2 out first time with it and when he was done I chewed bull off target with a quick slapped on scope and hasty home made bags in 20 degree weather after a 2 year shelf sit. Still has it in that pint sized gun and trigger walks all over Anschütz though others I’ve tried working weren’t as nice.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I’d watch a few dedicated classifieds. Not uncommon to see a 452 pop up with the DIp Add-ons for under regular retail.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have both a Ruger American bolt and a 10/22 and both shoot as good as anything I have ever had. I am headed out in a few to check the zero on them and maybe slip in the woods and snipe a tree rat or 2. Both of the Rugers I have will shoot most anything I have fed them very well.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

1” group at 50 yards?
3/4” group at 50 yards?

Did you get the 452?

Accuracy wise I have not saw a 452 that will not group 1/2" 50 yard groups with ammo it likes.

The triggers are easy to upgrade and there is a lot of aftermarket support and a wealth of knowledge online for these rifles. Why an American company can't/won't make a rimfire of the same quality for the same price is something I'll never understand.

<>< Fish

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
yeap...CZ

but you'll pry my Marlin Model 25 from my cold dead hands,,,,have had it since 1974/75 (memory fuzzy - it WAS the 70s after all) it was my "squirrel sniper system" in my yuuuth,,

I just bought a Marlin model 25 off gunbroker....it didn't have a clip so I got it CHEAP...paid almost as much for an original clip off ebay as i did the gun. Waiting for it to arrive.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Did you get the 452?

Accuracy wise I have not saw a 452 that will not group 1/2" 50 yard groups with ammo it likes.

The triggers are easy to upgrade and there is a lot of aftermarket support and a wealth of knowledge online for these rifles. Why an American company can't/won't make a rimfire of the same quality for the same price is something I'll never understand.

<>< Fish
Unfortunately CZ doesn’t either except special runs on the 452 which I keep hearing are ending

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I just bought a Marlin model 25 off gunbroker....it didn't have a clip so I got it CHEAP...paid almost as much for an original clip off ebay as i did the gun. Waiting for it to arrive.

First 22 I owned, a lot of squirrels and all manner of other critters died because of it.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Unfortunately CZ doesn’t either except special runs on the 452 which I keep hearing are ending

Plenty of new/old stock 452 rifles available and in the the used market they aren't scarce. I sure would not mind having a spare 452 lefty.

<>< Fish

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
You and me both. My 7 y/o is a lefty. I found one bedded in a Klinsky with a super sear for 375ish but it was 3 hours away and he couldn’t ship. I was super busy as usual and kicking myself still.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I saw a flawless 452 at a pawn shop yesterday. Price was high but always negotiable. I just want a Mark II pistol too bad right now.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
Shannocks Pawn in King, NC. Close to Redeye and Eric Revo. I thinking asking was $599 with rings and scope. I don’t know much about them but it had a heavy barrel, tapered to about 5/8” at the muzzle, high gloss wood and it said 452 and then something else I can’t remember but not American.