Let’s talk .22LR Bolt Actions

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My better half is wanting a .22 rifle.
She is only interested in a bolt action.
I’ve got a budget of around $350- 400 for the whole rig, rifle, scope, mounts, rings etc.
Rifle will primarily be used for squirrel hunting and some target shooting.

What do you guys recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Give her that rifle I sold you. That thing would shoot. Use the extra cash for a nice scope.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Got a Winchester 69A off gunbroker few years back...like new and a tack driver, Walnut, deep blue, 5 rd. clip. Been looking at the CZ in a mauser action, bolt, very nice gun... got one in a 22 Hornet that is nice. Check them out think they best 22 bolt out there.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have over 30 rimfire bolts from Anschutz and Sako on down to Marlin. For the money if you are wanting a real nice rifle a CZ is hard to beat. But I have over a half dozen Marlins and with a little trigger work they will shoot with my guns that cost 5X what they do. You can pick up the Marlins up at the pawn shops and GunBroker as they are no longer made. They make them in tube and magazine fed. I still buy every one I can get my hands on as I run across them that is in good shape.

Again if I were buying new, CZ would be where I would look.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I have over 30 rimfire bolts from Anschutz and Sako on down to Marlin. For the money if you are wanting a real nice rifle a CZ is hard to beat. But I have over a half dozen Marlins and with a little trigger work they will shoot with my guns that cost 5X what they do. You can pick up the Marlins up at the pawn shops and GunBroker as they are no longer made. They make them in tube and magazine fed. I still buy every one I can get my hands on as I run across them that is in good shape.

Again if I were buying new, CZ would be where I would look.
What he said^^^. I have a marlin 883 ss in 22mag, if you do your part it will drive nails.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I haven’t looked a whole lot just yet tbh... but can I afford a new CZ on my budget and still get some quality glass to put on it?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Give her that rifle I sold you. That thing would shoot. Use the extra cash for a nice scope.

She ain’t gettin that one!!!!
It likes anything you feed it... nothing I ever shot through it couldn’t be covered with a dime at 100 yards. The lighter the bullet, the better it likes it.
I shoot the 25gr Hornady VMax in that thing it will legit shoot a 5 shot one bullet hole group at 100 yards off a bulls bag.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
A Remington 581 is a good choice on the used market. They shoot well and the triggers are not to hard to tune. They are light weight and very accurate. There's usually a couple for sale on Gunbroker and Armslist. I have a left and right handed version.

If you can find a CZ in that price range with a scope it wouldn't be wise to pass it up.

The new B22 Savage has a great new ergonomic stock along with a flush fit 10rd mag that makes carrying it in the woods easier than the old 10rd mags. I have a lefty B17 and it shoots as well as my CZ.

<>< Fish

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I haven’t looked a whole lot just yet tbh... but can I afford a new CZ on my budget and still get some quality glass to put on it?

CZ's in good condition can be had for 350-375.00. I have an American and a Varmint and 5000 rounds of CCI std vel and will travel for a good time.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeap...CZ

but you'll pry my Marlin Model 25 from my cold dead hands,,,,have had it since 1974/75 (memory fuzzy - it WAS the 70s after all) it was my "squirrel sniper system" in my yuuuth,,

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
455s are fine,,I prefer 452s but they are getting hard to find,,,,expect you can find a better deal than cheaper than dirt folks

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
455s are fine,,I prefer 452s but they are getting hard to find,,,,expect you can find a better deal than cheaper than dirt folks

I usually don’t use them to purchase, but they have a lot of stuff to look at... so it’s a good source to let the better half browse.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I got my first CZ, a 452 American, this year. It is the nicest .22 I've ever had. It had a Nikon 3x9x40 ProStaff EFR on it and I have been shooting in some online matches and having a ball. I have an old Steven 66C that I have hunted with all my life and have always felt very confident with the rifle but when it comes to shooting accuracy, meaning shooting at a 10 ring that is the same size as a .22 round, I have never had anything as accurate as this CZ. That being said, unless your wife plans on doing some precision target shooting or you just want a really nice rifle there are a lot of great rifles as mentioned above that can be set up for plinking and squirrel hunting for a lot less than the CZ setup will cost you. I guess it all depends on what you want, what she wants and how much you want to impress her. :)

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Here’s my homemade $80 savage rascal. Broken shooting stick serves well as my adjustable stock.
Bag of rice and duct tape make a good cheek weld.

2/7/32 shotgun scope with BDC reticle and 50yd parallax.

Thing is shooting bugholes with 710fps HPs at 50 off that old bipod.

Only weighs 4# without the bipod.

Waiting to find me a nice full size CZ to play with tooD4D9F1C7-71BE-49A2-9F44-D671F206C3C9.jpeg

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For you CZ guys... what are the primary differences between the 455 and 452 Americans?

Also, what are your thoughts on ammo?

I’ve always used Eley Sub sonic hollow points in my Ruger 10/22, Marlin 39A and, Remington 541T.

Is there something better out there?

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
For you CZ guys... what are the primary differences between the 455 and 452 Americans?

I don't think there is one "best" ammo for all guns. .22's are strange animals and you need to gather a variety of different ammo and try each one (keep careful records) to see what that particular rifle/pistol prefers. I have multiple .22's and have done this testing on all of them but over time I forgot and had to do it all over again. Not that I minded, but after the second time I kept better records so I had them to refer to in the future.

I don't know what differences there may be between 452's and 455's since I've never seen a 455 so maybe I'll learn something here....

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I can't tell you the differences off the top of my head because I haven't been into them that long but if you are really interested you need to go to rimfirecentral.com and scroll down to the CZ forum. Everything you will need to know is there and then some.

As far as ammo is concerned, I am still searching for "the best" for my American and I am finding there is a lot of difference if you are really looking consistency, meaning the same little hole every time. As I said before, I am still struggling with the 25 yard game before I head out to 50. The one thing to remember, if you are going to be shooting for real accuracy at different distances you scope will need to have an adjustable objective. I am shooting SK Standard + right now as it is doing really good for me but still not quite the consistency I want. I just got 5 boxes of Lupua Polar Biathlon to try in the colder temps. I was shocked when I started this stuff at the cost of the "good stuff". I and been shooting the normal rounds at .05/round. The SK is .11/round. The Polar is .22. May be a while before I am good enough to justify the "really good stuff" at .25/round. LOL. Needless to say, my own limitations are what is holding me back right now.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
With that budget, I'd go with a Ruger American and never look back. You'll have several options regarding finish, barrel length & weight, stocks (wood or adj. LOP synthetic) and sights. The reliability and availability of all the factory rotary magazine options is worth considering, as well. My brother has 3 or 4 rimfire Americans and they all have decent triggers right out of the box and they shoot really well.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/overview.html

Last edited:

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
What about a 452/455 Scout?Shorter length of pull, and the same accuracy of its larger kin. My Scout is one of the most accurate CZ’s I own. All I shoot for squirrels is Eley subs.

The Scout is excellent for cruising through the woods and a Nikon efr would fit it nicely. However you’d likely be over budget with rings. A 455 Scout will likely run $300-$320. An EFR will be $187, and rings about $30. I’m 5’11” and it fits me, but it will need a comb raiser.

If you go Ruger American then you should be able to do the above within your budget.

1b1a89f359c6bd60f8eeaa2bf089daed.jpg
8f988151398e99725831960f311976de.jpg

09ac74a6b87a333f36ffe5b9c7658269.jpg

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I got my first CZ, a 452 American, this year. It is the nicest .22 I've ever had. It had a Nikon 3x9x40 ProStaff EFR on it and I have been shooting in some online matches and having a ball. I have an old Steven 66C that I have hunted with all my life and have always felt very confident with the rifle but when it comes to shooting accuracy, meaning shooting at a 10 ring that is the same size as a .22 round, I have never had anything as accurate as this CZ. That being said, unless your wife plans on doing some precision target shooting or you just want a really nice rifle there are a lot of great rifles as mentioned above that can be set up for plinking and squirrel hunting for a lot less than the CZ setup will cost you. I guess it all depends on what you want, what she wants and how much you want to impress her. :)

We should have monthly online matches here and a couple of NCH&F matches per year. I could host a small group at our cabin and range at Uwharrie after deer season if anyone is interested.

<>< Fish

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What about a 452/455 Scout?Shorter length of pull, and the same accuracy of its larger kin. My Scout is one of the most accurate CZ’s I own. All I shoot for squirrels is Eley subs.

The Scout is excellent for cruising through the woods and a Nikon efr would fit it nicely. However you’d likely be over budget with rings. A 455 Scout will likely run $300-$320. An EFR will be $187, and rings about $30. I’m 5’11” and it fits me, but it will need a comb raiser.

If you go Ruger American then you should be able to do the above within your budget.

1b1a89f359c6bd60f8eeaa2bf089daed.jpg
8f988151398e99725831960f311976de.jpg

Nate you can put the tactical cheek piece on the scout. They come with different thickness padding for height and I have found they work great.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I bought a Ruger American this summer. Absolutely love it. Really impressed with the trigger. As far as ammo I have been simply amazed. Growing up we shoved whatever we could find in our .22's and went after squirrels. Still trying different rounds in mine. So far CCI Stingers and CCI mini mag (non Signature) are the best.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS

Also, what are your thoughts on ammo?

I’ve always used Eley Sub sonic hollow points in my Ruger 10/22, Marlin 39A and, Remington 541T.

Here is a link to the thread I spoke of earlier if you want to read through it. A lot of the long time CZ guys gave their opinions
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1018105