Lessons Learned

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, turkey season is over, and for the first time in 10 years, I did not kill a bird, and neither did my hunting partner. We have had very good success with killing birds over the last 8 years or so, but that came to an end this season.

But, as is always the case with turkey hunting, you learn a few things. Surprisingly, I don't think I made any real strategic errors - they were much more fundamental in nature.

The most glaring, and egregious mistake was failing an Admin load - I pulled the trigger on a mature gobbler with no shell in the chamber. I'm not sure I've ever been more angry in the woods. I've been more disappointed, but never more angry at myself. Rookie mistake. I removed the shell from the chamber while switching locations, and in my hurry to get to where I knew the bird was going to go (turns out I was right), I failed to rechamber the shell. I'm the guy who has a routine and double checks his stuff. That's partly why it made me so mad. In a tough season, I used all of the knowledge gained to put myself in position for the shot and failed before I ever left the truck because of lack of attention to detail. I'm not that guy. And it won't ever happen again.

Another error I made on 2 different occasions was overestimating the woodsmanship of my hunting partner. Once in allowing him to crawl in position to cut the shot distance in half, and he kept going too far. The other was Saturday when we thought the gobbler was 125 yards over a steep hill heading the other direction. We quickly set up 20 yards below the crest, and he popped back over on our side of the hill and busted my partner as he flopped down next to me on a big oak. That sent the bird flying into the next county. This was the kind of season with fewer mature birds around where we really needed to make the most of every quality encounter, and we did not. I would have made that same move 10 out of 10 times, and I still think it was the right choice. Had we had 30 seconds more to get settled, I would have killed that bird. Just a little too slow in getting in position and a little too casual with our movements.

And last but not least... Do NOT schedule eye surgery for the middle of turkey season! Sometimes schedules don't work out perfectly, and you have to do things at inopportune times, but do not do anything to incur a physical disability during turkey season. It's short enough as it is without being sidelined for almost 2 weeks. Throw in 2 baseball schedules and some henned-up birds, and it just wasn't meant to be. Just one of those years where you can't win.

I guess one thing is constant with turkey hunting - there's always plenty of woulda-coulda-shoulda's.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
This season was perhaps my most memorable. I've tagged out before but I had fell into a 2 year slump. So during the offseason I started a turkey journal of all the tips I was getting from videos, podcasts, etc. I also shot my gun and practiced my calling quite a bit. I literally ate humble pie and went back to the basics. It paid off I took one bird on 4-20 & the other was 4-29 (best bird to date). Last year was the worst year I ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I guess one thing is constant with turkey hunting - there's always plenty of woulda-coulda-shoulda's.

There are a few statements that can sum up turkey hunting and that's one of them.

Great season on my end. Tagged out early and was able to keep hunting with others.

One thing new I did was on the last day. The woods were dry as a bone like egg shells and we needed to close the distance on a gobbler. Instead of just trying to walk as quietly as possible, I got out the slate and did some light clucks as I moved. Not only did it allow us to close the distance but he gobbled several times in response. After 2 hours we got him in gun range but it was too thick. I can't wait for next season. Turkey hunting is something I could do everyday of my life and never grow tired.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Had my 2nd best season ever.

However the difficult season you had will make you a much better turkey hunter than having a great season.

The worst seasons have always taught me a lot... BUT I stil hate them!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
There is always learning to be had from hunting even a long time seasoned hunter can learn thing or two year to year. Its one of reasons I hate field hunting where you just go sit and wait. When you hunt woods you really get in lot situations that teach you things.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
lessons learned or relearned. :)
turkeys in a location can indeed not gobble on the ground for the entire length of a season. I went from opening week till 8pm saturday on a beautiful tract with exactly one ground gobble heard during the season. Wouldn't have believed it possible had i not "not heard" it myself.

take your luck when you have it but dont count on it. 2017 saw us in NE for their opener. Gorgeous and warm. This year there were blizzard conditions at the same time. Thankfully i wasnt among the ones having their trip canceled.

It's hard to kill another man's turkey. having five gifted to me didnt do a thing for me. Not a sound or sighting.

The last week can be as good as any time to see/hear/kill one. It was by far my best week for all of the listed attributes of a hunt.

You can't take it personally or fix anything if a turkey doesn't want to play. Learn that lesson and you can enjoy the repeated whippings easier. :)

Now i'll hunt Va till their season ends and unlearn a few of these. LOL

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sky Hawk, I had a failure to fire on a mature gobbler at about 25 yards a few years ago, and he stood right there and let me rack another in and kill him. I had the same thing happen on a decent 7 point buck several years ago with a muzzle loader. The cap snapped like a .22 but the ML didn't fire. I picked it off and put another one on and killed him. He acted like he didn't even hear it. You never know.
The last week was by far my best week of this season as well. It was tempting to give up, but I'm glad I didn't.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
[QUOTE="oldest school,

take your luck when you have it but dont count on it. 2017 saw us in NE for their opener. Gorgeous and warm. This year there were blizzard conditions at the same time. Thankfully i wasnt among the ones having their trip canceled.L[/QUOTE] them blizzard conditions on Ne can be tough I was out there bout 8 years ago in that situation wind chill was around 10 and man did it blow snow was going sideways after 2 days sun poked out and was able kill 3 but man that was tough hunt. Not to mention the drive to get there really sucked crawling speed on them straight roads where shoulda been going 70 tested some patience

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
It was a tough season but a good,one.The best gobbling was in,SC. Still more turkeys down there than most of NC. Turkeys up here were far and few between. From knowing where some were,and,getting on them first few days paid off,and getting lucky the last week on some who got lonely,it would,have been bad.Alot of turkeys I had on land to hunt,left or or never,gobbled or left track,lol.I had one come back day before it went out and,got him to gobble before dark,just dirt in my eye.Finally got permission on,some land,full of them and was able,to help a friend get his first AMD able to help manage it for,next year planting chufa and,clover,seen a hen,with 6 poults able to fly,hunted hard and walked 40 miles at least,several,areas are void of turkeys, most of it on national forest that is,overhunted and birds all but extinct on most tracts.No one loves hunting these critters more,than I do,but I fear a big drop in numbers if something,is,not done to close,and,restock areas and,parts of counties,I really hope,for,a excellent hatch this spring and years to,come.This big tropical front coming,in tomorrow is sure to kill alot of poults,and wet hens,and,eggs. Next year I am,planning on more out of state hunts AMD trying,to,find a lease,or club in,south east NC.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's so easy to overlook the empty chamber when you are rightly programed for safety. My experience with that still hurts my heart after several years. Sometimes just a few seconds makes the difference in a hunt. Part of why it can be so exciting.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve done that before , went to shoot and shells are in my vest pocket... I defintley won’t let it happen again !!

I got whooped last year in the turkey woods, too much time spent going after a “season wrecker” old bird that would gobble his head of on the roost and fly down and walk away silent , spent a lot of mornings hunting him... I also spooked more birds making careless mistakes than any other season

But I love turkey hunting so I was more careful this spring and scouted more than ever before... was able to tag out in WV. I still have a weekend left for Ohio , came close on Saturday but too brushy for an ethical shot.

Good luck next season !

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
To keep progressing as a turkey hunter you gotta be willing to keep learning. Some lessons are learned easily, some break your heart....
Re-affirmed a lesson in Ohio this year that really paid off. Listen to your gut and trust yourself. Turkeyfoot and I had been on birds for 3 days but just couldn't close the deal. It wasn't what we were doing wrong, it was the terrain and foliage. Those old reclaimed mines had grown up into almost impenetrable vines and multi-flora briars. We just couldn't get to them in a timely manner. After beating our heads off a stump for a while we got smart and pulled out. We made the call to move hours away...away to a place that resembled where we hunt here in the NC mountains. We listened to our gut and moved to a place that put the odds in our favor. Voila...
It took a day to talk ourselves into it since we were all over gobbling birds but it was the best thing to do. Never forget the lessons learned long ago...even if you have to talk yourself into it every now and then. :)

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Turkeys definitely got the memo that season is over. Went down to hunting camp to tidy up a little bit,cut grass, and make sure everything was unplugged. Saw two strutters on the way in just a few hundred yards from the clubhouse. Did not see or hear much of anything last two weeks. After cutting grass decided to do a little shooting with a new revolver I just picked up. Every time I fired a 22 short this bird across the street would gobble. He couldn't have been more than 100 yards across the road from clubhouse and would only gobble at the 22 shorts. Put a cylinder of 22 lr in and no response. Went back to the 22 short and he would gobble everytime.Right about 100 shorts fired and he would gobble at almost every one (at least 90%).
Can I use that as a locator call? 22 shorts......Who knew??? LOL
And to add insult to injury I saw "Captain Hook" strutting in a field on the way out. I call him that because he has a weird bend in his huge beard when he struts.
Off to Pennsylvania to try some more birds later this week so let's see if I can not make the same mistakes up there that I did down here. Only issue I have is judging distances up there, mostly due to terrain. But it does make it easier to sneak around them to get in better position

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Sky Hawk that was fun/painful to read and many of us feel your pain!

If I had $10 for every "won't do that again" happened while turkey hunting, most of y'all would be leasing my land to turkey hunt! I myself laugh most of them off, but like you, I've only ONCE been ANGRY in the turkey woods! That is a feeling that doesn't really dissipate. We forgive our dogs, we forgive guys who work for us, but we RARELY forgive ourselves for our blatant mistakes in the turkey woods!

Not gonna lie though. Some of my best turkey success stories end about 45 minutes after I say to myself "I won't do THAT again while turkey hunting!"

Hoping your 2019 has the same premise!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hey man don't sweat it.... if you Turkey hunt long enough you are going to get skunked. This was my 4th season since 1995 when I got my first gobbler, that I did not get a bird.
I did learn 3 things.... I will never use a half strut Jake decoy again.... and i am going to have me an ATV trail to the far corner of my property up in Rockingham county so that I can be closer to the birds on the neighbors farm. ?
This is the last year I try calling them birds in from 600 plus yards......
AND when you have a gobbler at 35 plus yards dead to rights you take your shot, you don't wait on him to put on a show and strut.
Yeah I did that. I got too cute.??

Last edited:
Reactions: PG2

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What happened? :)
Dang gobbler took one look at the decoy and walked off when he got within 35 plus yards of me and less than 20 yards from the decoy.... I was going to shoot him when he got closer to the decoy and strutting , but the gobbler just turned around and walked away from me without ever presenting another shot. He never putted or walked off fast just casually left walking in between trees making it impossible for me to get a clear shot.That was the first time I had ever used that decoy. That thing cost me 70 bucks 3 years ago and is very realistic. I burned it in my brush pile a week later.?

Last edited:

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Im going to start hunting arras with more turkeys,hunted half the season where that were just a hand full and not gobbling.Haddecoys help,and hurt hunts this year,killed 2 gobblers in SC. THAT came straight to a cheap Jake and hen,hafa hen and gobblerrun away as soon,as they seen same,set up in NC.Best luck is without them if you are not hunting open areas.Going get in better shape before season,hard on a fat man going full throttle out the gate.Going save up and hunt more states also,have friends in we and pa who wants me to come up.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dang gobbler took one look at the decoy and walked off when he got within 35 plus yards of me and less than 20 yards from the decoy.... I was going to shoot him when he got closer to the decoy and strutting , but the gobbler just turned around and walked away from me without ever presenting another shot. He never putted or walked off fast just casually left walking in between trees making it impossible for me to get a clear shot.That was the first time I had ever used that decoy. That thing cost me 70 bucks 3 years ago and is very realistic. I burned it in my brush pile a week later.?
LOL. I figured it must be something like that. Sounds like something I might do. :)

Reactions: jug

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Ole Tom Kelly said you can not bring back that mistake you just made and the instant you make it, you know it, and it breaks your heart. That is the beauty of this game....you win some of these match ups and he wins some...lives to hunt him another day. Heck, truth be known, that bird that whipped me this morning that is the one I want to tangle with tomorrow and tomorrow until I either get him or he lives till the last day and my last chance.....that is turkey hunting to its finest.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
MIne is hunting in the mountains, and no foliage to hunker down to fast. Always have a place picked out before you call, Up there they will not hesitate to glide or fly to you at sun rise. Be ready to shoot as soon as you call they will make a landing strip in front of you.
Ya'll we all have some funny things that happen to us! Great to share and learn from them.