Leopard curs

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Do any of you have any experience with this breed of dogs? I recently received a couple of pups that I intend to use on bear . I have several other breeds that I'm currently running but decided to try something different. At five months old they seem incredibly smart compared to other breeds I've owned. They will bay and tree a caged coon and there nose is always on the ground. What's everyone opinion on this breed. RJ you ever hunted with any?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve had a couple over the years but never tried them for hunting. They seemed to be incredibly smart dogs. Deafness was an issue with a couple of them. I think they would make excellent all around dogs. I’ve heard from older men that they were great for hunting anything and really a do all dog for a man that kept a dog or two and hunted whatever was in season. I never had a chance to hunt the ones I had, but I do think they had bird dog/herding dog brains inside a hound body.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have been around them quite a bit, I have two now that I use for deer dogs, they were hog dog culls, The guy culled them out because they opened on track. If their nose is on the ground all the time they aren't acting like curs. That is one of the cur traits, drifting tracks, I despise a dog that wallows in a track.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I may have misstated the nose always on the ground. What I mean is you can hear their noses Poppin constantly. They seem very to want to hunt everything which may be a problem down the road. Hell they were baying lizards yesterday.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I may have misstated the nose always on the ground. What I mean is you can hear their noses Poppin constantly. They seem very to want to hunt everything which may be a problem down the road. Hell they were baying lizards yesterday.
They will put them down of course when they are "working" a track. But when they are up and running a track most will drift, that is what gives them their speed.

Both of the ones I have now wind as well as you could ask a dog to. They will rig out of the box and you will see them working into the wind and jump when out of the box. It just took them a while to figure out they weren't going to "ride the lightening" for running deer. One figured it out pretty quick and was back going real good. The one the guy I got them from told me that was going to be the best one was almost a full season before he really got going. He would jump them but only go a hundred yards or so then come looking for me. But when he finally found out he wasn't in trouble he went at it.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I have hunted behind Leopard Curs many times on bear,hogs and coon, that's all a friend of mine in Va, runs bear with. I have found them to be very smart and are outstanding rigging hounds and well mannered at the tree.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve got one that’s an “all purpose” dog
He will trail deer, makes a passable squirrel dog, and will flush birds, he even does decent at retrieving.

He’s a really smart dog, sometimes too smart, he has a knack for knowing what I want him to do without prompting. For instance, if he flushes a bird while trailing a deer, he pretty much ignores it

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Well the two pups got there ass handed to them this morning but stuck with him until I could get my hands on them . Both cut up pretty good but wouldn't quit. I think they thought they could catch a bear the same way they caught the coons I started them on . Didn't take long to learn how to stay back a few feet lol .

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Well the two pups got there ass handed to them this morning but stuck with him until I could get my hands on them . Both cut up pretty good but wouldn't quit. I think they thought they could catch a bear the same way they caught the coons I started them on . Didn't take long to learn how to stay back a few feet lol .

Yep they learned something today, I had a young one get slapped the other day actually it was more of a punch just as we got to were the bear had bayed up, got up shook his head and went right back at it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have raised big game curs for years and sent them out west. Too much grit usually is the issue. Most use their head and get over it.

This is my last one I sent on her last hunt out there when she had aged out and was fixing to come home. She had been on many lions and bears. Age just caught up with her and she lost half an ear to a lion. DD45EDAD-3004-48AA-AF8B-2D8D0E378DDD.jpeg