Legal length flagged out back of truck?

tree

Anyone know the max length I can have hanging off my truck strapped, and flagged?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
by law if I remember the DMV was anything more then 4' past the truck needed to be flagged don't know the max.
Not really sure there is a max for say you just need to get permits and a chase rig.

What you trying to carry?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
§ 20-117. Flag or light at end of load.

(a) General Provisions. - Whenever the load on any vehicle shall extend more than four feet beyond the rear of the bed or body thereof, there shall be displayed at the end of such load, in such position as to be clearly visible at all times from the rear of such load, a red or orange flag not less than 18 inches both in length and width, except that from sunset to sunrise there shall be displayed at the end of any such load a red or amber light plainly visible under normal atmospheric conditions at least 200 feet from the rear of such vehicle. At no time shall a load extend more than 14 feet beyond the rear of the bed or body of the vehicle, with the exception of vehicles transporting forestry products or utility poles.

(b) Commercial Motor Vehicles. - A commercial motor vehicle, or a motor vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more that is engaged in commerce, that is being used to tow a load or that has a load that protrudes from the rear or sides of the vehicle shall comply with the provisions of 49 C.F.R. Part 393. (1937, c. 407, s. 81; 1985, c. 455; 1997-178, s. 1; 2005-361, s. 2; 2009-376, s. 4.)

Last edited:

tree

Big ladder. I slide it under tool box, and put straps on it. I guess just shy of 8' hangs off my full size truck, lol.

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
When in doubt ..flag it.
And for Gods Sake ...if you drive down the road with 3-4 24-40 ft ladders in the back of your truck because you need it for work....BUY A LADDER Rack! This will not apply to ,most here....but I see it every day...I even have a competitor how has a PVC homemade ladder rack...driving a new truck.

corapeake

Eight Pointer
14 foot overhang......Holy Cow !!! That's a lot more than I would guess or try.

sent from my Razr Maxx using TapaTalk