LED Lights for the Gun Safe

With all the Technology we have I was really surprised I couldn't find a decent lighting system for my gun safe. I finally came up with this idea. however I did this several years ago and its still working very well.. But there has been a few new products that have come on the market and I'll mention them shortly..
First. What I wanted was for the lights to come on when I opened the safe and then go out when I was finished. I didn't want to have to drill holes in my new safe for switches or to alter the safe in any way. I did what I normally do when I have an issue like this. I spend a ton of time just going through Hardware stores looking for an idea to hit me.
Finally I came up with an idea that I felt was simple enough that I might just be able to do it. I based the entire idea on a Motion activated light switch which I noticed places like hardware stores use in their rest rooms. The lights come on when you walk in then turn off after a pre determined amount of time. These switch's are sold in the lighting aisles and can be set from 2min to 20 min.
I simply wired this to -two 15 amp 110 house receptacle then bought a pack of 6 LED light pucks that are sold in packs of 6 or 12.. I velcro'd the pucks to the side wall on each shelf. I had wired the switch and receptacles in one of those Blue electrical boxes with a small length of wire with a 110 plug on it. I then simply plugged my invention to the power receptacle that comes into my safe for the drier. As I stated before. Its been working great for several years now with NO issue at all. It sits at the bottom corner of my safe with the drier so that area can't be used to hold anything else that might block the sensor. NOW, after several years. If anyone wants to try something like this all you need to do is look up Motion activated power strips....lol... everything I did in a more compact package.... Isn't that the way it goes...lol... after beating ourselves with a Bat we find a twig....lol.. Oh well, I'm still happy with the results...

Attachments

• 0-1.jpeg
    0-1.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
If you notice the white plugs those are extension cords to get the pucks on the other side of the shelves. I wrapped camo tape around the cords to help conceal them running across the safe....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Found that a head lamp or handheld works best for me. They are just packed up too full and no room for an inside light to work.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
What controls the humidity inside safe if light go off upon closing door. I have a small light bulb ( like in micro oven) in mine that stays on constantly...2 humidity gauges ( 1 near floor and 1 near top) that shows low humidity always. Now, if the bulb is not on, the humidity will rise very shortly. Never had any rust on anything in the safe, and if no heat from a bulb in there, have rust on barrels,receiver, anything metal. There is a knock out hole in my safe to run a a cord in , so the bulb is near floor generating heat that rises. Am in safe every few days so bulb is being checked for being on. Once years ago remember the bulb had blown and upon opening the door noticed the warmth was gone and humidity had risen.

golfer

Four Pointer
What controls the humidity inside safe if light go off upon closing door. I have a small light bulb ( like in micro oven) in mine that stays on constantly...2 humidity gauges ( 1 near floor and 1 near top) that shows low humidity always. Now, if the bulb is not on, the humidity will rise very shortly. Never had any rust on anything in the safe, and if no heat from a bulb in there, have rust on barrels,receiver, anything metal. There is a knock out hole in my safe to run a a cord in , so the bulb is near floor generating heat that rises. Am in safe every few days so bulb is being checked for being on. Once years ago remember the bulb had blown and upon opening the door noticed the warmth was gone and humidity had risen.

If you have access to an outlet, plug in a dehumidifier rod. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gun-safe-dehumidifier-rod/s?page=1&rh=i:aps,k:gun safe dehumidifier rod

If you have access to an outlet, plug in a dehumidifier rod. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gun-safe-dehumidifier-rod/s?page=1&rh=i:aps,k:gun safe dehumidifier rod

Yes, Yes, My safe has a Receptacle already that has the drier Rod plugged to it then my device plugs to the same power supply ..The Dryer stays on constantly and everything plugged to my little invention only stays on about 4min once no movement is detected..... You'll see the drier in one of my pictures on the right hand side...Its a Black Golden Rod.... I thought about using the motion activated Liberty lights but didn't want to worry about changing batteries...

golfer

Four Pointer
Yes, Yes, My safe has a Receptacle already that has the drier Rod plugged to it then my device plugs to the same power supply ..The Dryer stays on constantly and everything plugged to my little invention only stays on about 4min once no movement is detected..... You'll see the drier in one of my pictures on the right hand side...Its a Black Golden Rod.... I thought about using the motion activated Liberty lights but didn't want to worry about changing batteries...

The Liberty lights are 110v. No need for batteries.

Back when I was looking for lights all the liberty lights where battery powered Pucks ... They came with their top end safes back then.. Like I said its been a while... Sounds like theres plenty of options now but back then guys where trying Christmas lights in their safes and posting those ideas on youtube that was about it... For Options

mattharris0414

They sell tons of battery powered led puck lights now on amazon for like $20.... no wiring needed

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
It’s magnetic and sticks to the ceiling.
39d19fbd418df3c8603b2250b38e57e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk