Leaving a gun unsecured in a motor vehicle

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I feel like you do. I feel I have met my due by locking it out of sight in my truck. If it get stolen, file insurance and replace.

For those that feel bad about a stolen gun used to harm someone- would you feel the same if your car was stolen and then ran someone over? What about a gallon of gas that get stolen and used to burn down a building? If not, then it seams to me that maybe you are putting some greater burden upon a weapon. Kind of like gun grabbers do with AR15s or pistols that hold more than 10 rounds...

Guns, autos, hammers, bottle of fuel.... these are all tools that if used for evil, do not make them evil.
There's a reason that stealing a $160 Hi-Point Pistol will land you on another level of trouble than stealing a $160 chainsaw. The tool itself is not evil; the likelihood that it's turned to an evil purpose in the event of its theft is far higher with a gun compared to gasoline or tools. Would you lend your gas can to someone you knew to be an Arsonist? If a stranger knocked on your door and said, "my car is out of gas, may I borrow your gas and replace it?"

If someone steals a power tool, they are stealing it to profit from it, but the likelihood it's used for evil isn't any higher than it was when it was on the Home Depot shelf. Someone steals a gun, they aren't likely to be using it to hunt deer, or for their own CCP. They're using it for their own criminal actions or selling it to someone that isn't looking to ask or answer any questions, for

But to answer your question, I would feel the same if my car was stolen and I had left it unlocked with the keys in the ignition and someone took it and ran someone over. There's nothing more one can reasonably do to prevent their car from getting stolen.

I'm not going home to avoid leaving a firearm in a car while I'm running errands, for example. But I'm also not leaving it in my car overnight in my driveway. It's reasonable for me to bring it inside.

Reactions: CRC

mj1angier

Four Pointer
There's a reason that stealing a $160 Hi-Point Pistol will land you on another level of trouble than stealing a $160 chainsaw. The tool itself is not evil; the likelihood that it's turned to an evil purpose in the event of its theft is far higher with a gun compared to gasoline or tools. Would you lend your gas can to someone you knew to be an Arsonist? If a stranger knocked on your door and said, "my car is out of gas, may I borrow your gas and replace it?"

If someone steals a power tool, they are stealing it to profit from it, but the likelihood it's used for evil isn't any higher than it was when it was on the Home Depot shelf. Someone steals a gun, they aren't likely to be using it to hunt deer, or for their own CCP. They're using it for their own criminal actions or selling it to someone that isn't looking to ask or answer any questions, for

But to answer your question, I would feel the same if my car was stolen and I had left it unlocked with the keys in the ignition and someone took it and ran someone over. There's nothing more one can reasonably do to prevent their car from getting stolen.

I'm not going home to avoid leaving a firearm in a car while I'm running errands, for example. But I'm also not leaving it in my car overnight in my driveway. It's reasonable for me to bring it inside.

There’s a lot of “assumptions “ here. You make yourself feel better by assuming that the Gun will be used to hurt someone and that the gas will not. But fact is you don’t know for sure what happens when it’s stolen. But if you want to take on guilt for mis-deeds of others, I am sure BLM and others will let you take on all the guilt you want

For me, I feel guilty only for the bad I do to someone, not what others do. I don’t blame the brick or the brick maker when someone gets hit in the head with one. Do you blame DOT if same brick is tossed off a bridge and kills someone in a car below?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I love it, another dumb blanket statement about educators, so I guess that would make you a (never mind) being from Wake County.
There are just too many stories of teachers going literally hysterical when they see a gun. Here is one of two recent stories where a teacher spotted a green toy gun with "Zombie Hunter" on the side during online school. Kid didn't point it, threaten anyone with it, anything. Teacher didn't speak to parents, she immediately called 911 and child protective services. The law came into their house to investigate. Happened twice in Colorado in the past couple of weeks.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/12-year-old-suspended-after-teacher-spots-toy-gun-during-virtual-class

And the time Wake Tech was put on lockdown because someone was seen on private property behind the school carrying a rifle. While wearing head to toe camo during deer season. The list just goes on and on.

Then one kid makes credible threats, has the law called on him 21 times, and nothing is done because he's a minority and the school says there's a "school to jail pipeline". So he goes to Douglas High School in FL and shoots up the place, just like he said he would. And the schools' answer? Take away all the guns from people who have done nothing wrong.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I love it, another dumb blanket statement about educators, so I guess that would make you a (never mind) being from Wake County.
What educators say about sex:
Teaching kids about sex, or seeing sex in movies, does not make them more curious or engage in risky sexual activity. Teaching kids about sex helps children make responsible decisions. Children should be allowed, even encouraged, to find their own way about sex, engage in sex, and learn the joys of sex. If we pretend sex doesn't exist, it won't go away.

What educators say about guns:
Teaching kids about guns, or seeing guns in movies, makes them more curious and more likely to engage in risky gun activities. Teaching kids about guns does not help children make responsible decisions around guns. Children should not be exposed to guns, see guns, or be taught that guns are fun and enjoyable. If we pretend guns don't exist they will go away.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What Wake Co. educators say about sex:
Teaching kids about sex, or seeing sex in movies, does not make them more curious or engage in risky sexual activity. Teaching kids about sex helps children make responsible decisions. Children should be allowed, even encouraged, to find their own way about sex, engage in sex, and learn the joys of sex. If we pretend sex doesn't exist, it won't go away.

What Wake Co. educators say about guns:
Teaching kids about guns, or seeing guns in movies, makes them more curious and more likely to engage in risky gun activities. Teaching kids about guns does not help children make responsible decisions around guns. Children should not be exposed to guns, see guns, or be taught that guns are fun and enjoyable. If we pretend guns don't exist they will go away.

Fixed it for you.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Fixed it for you.
I can't see where you changed anything. What am I missing?

Edit: I see, you think the problem is specific to Wake County, after I cited two cases of absurdity coming out of Colorado. No, I'm sorry, this problem is systemic.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I can't see where you changed anything. What am I missing?

Edit: I see, you think the problem is specific to Wake County, after I cited two cases of absurdity coming out of Colorado. No, I'm sorry, this problem is systemic.

No. I just think (most of them anyway)(@Tipmoose) blanket statements are silly.
Lots of educators are exactly as you described, in some locales, probably the majority.
Others are not.
I had three HS teachers with deer heads in their classroom. Hunted fairly regularly with one of them too.
The coaches of our local high school shooting teams certainly don’t fit your description posted above.

Last edited:

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No. I just think blanket statements are silly.
Lots of educators are exactly as you described, in some locales, probably the majority.
Others are not.
I had three HS teachers with deer heads in their classroom. Hunted fairly regularly with one of them too.
The coaches of our local high school shooting teams certainly don’t fit your description posted above.

I am glad someone else has the common sense to understand blanket statements.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There are just too many stories of teachers going literally hysterical when they see a gun. Here is one of two recent stories where a teacher spotted a green toy gun with "Zombie Hunter" on the side during online school. Kid didn't point it, threaten anyone with it, anything. Teacher didn't speak to parents, she immediately called 911 and child protective services. The law came into their house to investigate. Happened twice in Colorado in the past couple of weeks.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/12-year-old-suspended-after-teacher-spots-toy-gun-during-virtual-class

And the time Wake Tech was put on lockdown because someone was seen on private property behind the school carrying a rifle. While wearing head to toe camo during deer season. The list just goes on and on.

Then one kid makes credible threats, has the law called on him 21 times, and nothing is done because he's a minority and the school says there's a "school to jail pipeline". So he goes to Douglas High School in FL and shoots up the place, just like he said he would. And the schools' answer? Take away all the guns from people who have done nothing wrong.

I bet you didn't hear about the 5 guns that were at school within the past in the district I teach in. You know why, we know how to handle situations, not in liberal retard way. You made a blanket statement that is false.

I guess your statement about education probably came from a teacher's union. As I have said many times on here, I know more teachers not part of the NCAE than are members.
Funny that there was an ammo run at lunch last Thursday by several of us, because we knew when the ammo delivery was at Dunham's.
Also funny that several of us get together and shoot.
Also has been said that if we have a school shooting, it would be over before the resource officer could even react.
If you would quit watching the TV, I think you would see things are not near as bad as you think!!

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I am glad someone else has the common sense to understand blanket statements.

And I really wish you would stop taking offense that was not intended for you. This is the same sort of BS that we have to deal with from the left every day. Someone makes a statement that you find offensive, even though it doesn't apply to you, and you're all pissed off even though the statement is accurate the vast majority of the time.

When you're at an ATM at 1:30 in the morning I will guarantee you that you will use 'stereotypes' to assess your relative safety.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
And I really wish you would stop taking offense that was not intended for you. This is the same sort of BS that we have to deal with from the left every day. Someone makes a statement that you find offensive, even though it doesn't apply to you, and you're all pissed off even though the statement is accurate the vast majority of the time.

When you're at an ATM at 1:30 in the morning I will guarantee you that you will use 'stereotypes' to assess your relative safety.

He said educators, not some educators, my whole point was not to put all of us in the same statement. Sorry you and he missed it.

So I assume you don't upset when you read something that anti-hunters say about hunters

But you are right about one thing, it happens everyday, from both sides of the fence.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
He said educators, not some educators, my whole point was not to put all of us in the same statement. Sorry you and he missed it.

So I assume you don't upset when you read something that anti-hunters say about hunters

But you are right about one thing, it happens everyday, from both sides of the fence.

Im a straight, white, conservative male. I've been called everything under the sun. It used to piss me off. But now I just ignore it.

You make a fair point on the distinction between "educators" and "some educators" or "many educators" or even "most educators".

I'm not saying you are wrong for being offended. I just wish you hadn't been. Being a teacher is a noble profession that has been completely hijacked and corrupted by the left. The vast majority of those in the school system, from the lowest level clerk to the University President, are far left liberals.

Most are. Not all, but most.

That is just a simple fact. And that fact is what people generally mean when they cast pejoratives at teachers.

We/I don't dislike the good ones. Take @luckybuck for example. He's a teacher and is a salt of the earth guy. He's a hunter, sportsman and a great person and father. None of my dislike of 'educators' applies to him (or you). He knows that, btw. :)

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Im a straight, white, conservative male. I've been called everything under the sun. It used to piss me off. But now I just ignore it.

You make a fair point on the distinction between "educators" and "some educators" or "many educators" or even "most educators".

I'm not saying you are wrong for being offended. I just wish you hadn't been. Being a teacher is a noble profession that has been completely hijacked and corrupted by the left. The vast majority of those in the school system, from the lowest level clerk to the University President, are far left liberals.

Most are. Not all, but most.

That is just a simple fact. And that fact is what people generally mean when they cast pejoratives at teachers.

We/I don't dislike the good ones. Take @luckybuck for example. He's a teacher and is a salt of the earth guy. He's a hunter, sportsman and a great person and father. None of my dislike of 'educators' applies to him (or you). He knows that, btw. :)

I agree with every single word of this post.
It’s what I wanted to convey, but I did not.

Well. Said.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bet you didn't hear about the 5 guns that were at school within the past in the district I teach in. You know why, we know how to handle situations, not in liberal retard way. You made a blanket statement that is false.

I guess your statement about education probably came from a teacher's union. As I have said many times on here, I know more teachers not part of the NCAE than are members.
Funny that there was an ammo run at lunch last Thursday by several of us, because we knew when the ammo delivery was at Dunham's.
Also has been said that if we have a school shooting, it would be over before the resource officer could even react.
If you would quit watching the TV, I think you would see things are not near as bad as you think!!

Do you pay voluntary dues to the NCAE?

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
There’s a lot of “assumptions “ here. You make yourself feel better by assuming that the Gun will be used to hurt someone and that the gas will not. But fact is you don’t know for sure what happens when it’s stolen. But if you want to take on guilt for mis-deeds of others, I am sure BLM and others will let you take on all the guilt you want
Think hard about it. If you steal a $700 laptop, it isn't even a felony in North Carolina. If you steal a $100 POS gun, it's a felony. Why do you think that is? Why do you think there are no "Felon in Possession of a Chainsaw" laws out there?

tramadoc

Button Buck

I’m pretty sure you’re not carrying concealed while teaching, so I’m guessing that the “...over before the school resource officer could react”, is being tongue in cheek. I’ve thought the same though when I’ve been waiting in the parking lot at school to pick my daughters up.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’m pretty sure you’re not carrying concealed while teaching, so I’m guessing that the “...over before the school resource officer could react”, is being tongue in cheek. I’ve thought the same though when I’ve been waiting in the parking lot at school to pick my daughters up.

Not on me, but I park right outside my classroom. I can touch my truck out my window.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am not a member of either. The only way teachers pay dues is to join. I have never been a member.

What percentage of NC teachers would you guess (the numbers are easily researchable) belong to one of those two groups or another teachers’ union?

P.s. spare me on them not being a union.

mj1angier

Four Pointer
Think hard about it. If you steal a $700 laptop, it isn't even a felony in North Carolina. If you steal a $100 POS gun, it's a felony. Why do you think that is? Why do you think there are no "Felon in Possession of a Chainsaw" laws out there?

Because ninny folks think death by a gun is worse than death by chainsaw. Either way your dead because a
PERSON ( not an object) did evil. If someone took that laptop and hacked Sharon Harris nuke plant and caused a meltdown, you might wish they just got a gun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Because ninny folks think death by a gun is worse than death by chainsaw. Either way your dead because a
PERSON ( not an object) did evil. If someone took that laptop and hacked Sharon Harris nuke plant and caused a meltdown, you might wish they just got a gun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not worse, just a lot more likely and convenient.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

How many chainsaw massacres have you seen in the news? How many nuclear plants melted down? None? There is a shooting on the news here, nightly. And a lot of the time it's with a stolen weapon.

Criminals steal guns for a reason. Stolen chainsaws get sold on ebay to people who cut wood with it. Stolen handguns get sold out of a trunk to someone, and usually by someone, who can't legally own one for criminal acts.