Leaving a gun unsecured in a motor vehicle

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I leave nothing of value in my car unless I am just going into someplace for a short period of time. Certainly not overnight. I always lock my vehicles regardless of what may or may not be in it or how long I might be away from it.

It amazes me when the hoodrats rifle through cars, how many people have guns and other things stolen from their UNLOCKED vehicles. These people leave these valuables and guns in their cars, overnight. The theives will just go around and open unlocked cars stealing what they can. Guns are a good score for them. Very rarely if at all will they break a window.

pikepole20

Four Pointer
Interesting topic. I have firearm in the car and it is always locked when I leave it and hidden. I will use a locked glove box sometimes depending on where I am at also.

What about in a house with minors? I keep a 1100 handy in the house. When the grandkids come would putting it under the bed out of easy reach be considered secured? I am talking about under the bed just as far as I could place it. Would adding a trigger lock meet the criteria? Grandkids are small now 7 to 8 years old.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wouldn't leave my vehicle at the WM in New Bern and venture off somewhere under any circumstances.
Mike
I agree and I hadn't planned to then. T thought I was going to drive, but he had his grandson with him....

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting topic. I have firearm in the car and it is always locked when I leave it and hidden. I will use a locked glove box sometimes depending on where I am at also.

What about in a house with minors? I keep a 1100 handy in the house. When the grandkids come would putting it under the bed out of easy reach be considered secured? I am talking about under the bed just as far as I could place it. Would adding a trigger lock meet the criteria? Grandkids are small now 7 to 8 years old.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

You are fine.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yep. I told him that “technically” he was wrong. Based on his direct quote, that’s true.

1) Just simply leaving the weapon where a minor COULD get at it is NOT a crime. (Ex: I open carry at wal mart and a 10 year old walks within arms reach of my pistol. TECHNICALLY I left it where he COULD get ahold of it. Still not a crime)

2) IF i leave a firearm where a minor COULD get ahold of it...and a minor DOES get ahold of it...and that minor had my permission or is defending themselves from a home invasion, its not a crime.

3) IF i leave a firearm in my bedside table and a minor breaks into my house and steals it...not a crime on my part.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
And.... if you leave a firearm in your home and the minor accesses it, loads it and walks out to back 40 to hunt ( with license and hunter's ed card) you and the minor are fine.

It is if the minor commits a crime or injures someone (not in self defense) that you are charged.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1) Just simply leaving the weapon where a minor COULD get at it is NOT a crime. (Ex: I open carry at wal mart and a 10 year old walks within arms reach of my pistol. TECHNICALLY I left it where he COULD get ahold of it. Still not a crime)

2) IF i leave a firearm where a minor COULD get ahold of it...and a minor DOES get ahold of it...and that minor had my permission or is defending themselves from a home invasion, its not a crime.

3) IF i leave a firearm in my bedside table and a minor breaks into my house and steals it...not a crime on my part.

What state are YOU talking about?

I stand by my assertion.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What state are YOU talking about?

I stand by my assertion.

All the ones I've lived in. OH, FL, and NC. Also, I'm not trying to be argumentative or smack at you or anything. I understood your argument from the start...but...even in California or New York or Maryland simply leaving a gun where a minor can get at it is not sufficient for it to be illegal. Other actions have to be in force for it to be illegal. Otherwise, it would be completely illegal for a minor to ever fire a pistol at a range in those states.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All the ones I've lived in. OH, FL, and NC. Also, I'm not trying to be argumentative or smack at you or anything. I understood your argument from the start...but...even in California or New York or Maryland simply leaving a gun where a minor can get at it is not sufficient for it to be illegal. Other actions have to be in force for it to be illegal. Otherwise, it would be completely illegal for a minor to ever fire a pistol at a range in those states.

In CA it is illegal, whether they access it or not.

I’m not trying to be argumentative with you either. I just thought it was a bit tone deaf for someone (not you) to point out someone’s error......while not recognizing their own.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
In CA it is illegal, whether they access it or not.

I’m not trying to be argumentative with you either. I just thought it was a bit tone deaf for someone (not you) to point out someone’s error......while not recognizing their own.

So help me understand...how is it possible for me to take my 16 year old son to the range in CA? I know people do it all the time. Are they all breaking the law?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Couple of folks have touched on not leaving stuff in plain view so perps can “window shop” from outside the vehicle. Recently I’ve been thinking about the decals folks put on cars. The stick figure family ones(Sometimes with names underneath) , brands of hunting equipment, parent of a middle school honor roll student, sound system logos, etc. Call me paranoid but in today’s age, I consider it advertising to the wrong “consumer”...criminals . I get on my wife a lot about always knowing where her hand gun is, how many rounds are in it, not being left in her car overnight, treading lightly in her comings and going’s but always being ready to end someone’s life to preserve her own. Last Sunday we went over some stuff that led to a discussion about the crazy horrible things people are willing to carry out nowadays. They’ve gotten to the point mentally and spiritually that they are willing to do anything their imagination can come up with in order to get what they want. I’m slow to trust and tend to remind myself that anyone can pose a threat. But it doesn’t mean I’m miserable. I hold the folks in my circle in the highest regard and I’d trust them with my life, my wife, my animals, my property, my valuables and my vulnerability.
A4D72570-3830-4658-9C6B-F8B53455D8B3.jpeg

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So help me understand...how is it possible for me to take my 16 year old son to the range in CA? I know people do it all the time. Are they all breaking the law?

So, you’re with him? He’s supervised?

Not sure I understand your question. Sorry.

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
Pursuant to North Carolina state law, any person who resides with a minor and owns or possesses a firearm stored or left: 1) in a condition in which it can be discharged; and 2) in a manner that the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised minor would be able to gain access to the firearm, is criminally liable for a misdemeanor if the minor gains access to the firearm and:
  • Possesses the firearm on educational property;
  • Exhibits the firearm in a public place in a careless, angry or threatening manner;
  • Causes personal injury or death with the firearm, except in self-defense; or
  • Uses the firearm in the commission of a crime.3
Under state law, a retail seller or transferor must deliver a written copy of state law relating to storage of firearms to protect minors to the purchaser or transferee with every firearm transfer.4 A retail or wholesale store or outlet that sells firearms must conspicuously post at each purchase counter the following warning:
”IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STORE OR LEAVE A FIREARM THAT CAN BE DISCHARGED IN A MANNER THAT A REASONABLE PERSON SHOULD KNOW IS ACCESSIBLE TO A MINOR.”5

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So, you’re with him? He’s supervised?

Not sure I understand your question. Sorry.

No problem. I'm going to withdraw from the discussion regarding California and shooting ranges as those aren't relevant, IMHO, based on the OP.

I was just looking at the first four posts on the thread that started this. Im going to quote the ones I think are relevant. Again...not arguing or smacking down here.

1) ' Its a crime in NC to leave a gun where a minor can get their hands on it. '

This statement, as it is written, is false. It is overly broad and does not take into account cases where the minor would be within their rights to acquire the gun. Neither does it take into account cases where the minor illegally acquires access to the gun even when secured properly. What it DOES do, however, is narrow the scope of the discussion to NC.

2) 'You’re wrong on your first assumption - it’s not a crime to leave a gun where a minor can get it.'

This statement would have been better if it said "its not always a crime to leave a gun where a minor can get it." However, as written it is correct, IMHO. We had already narrowed the discussion to NC based on the first post in the thread. And, in NC, there are several circumstances where a minor would be within their rights to acquire a gun and it not be a crime. (ex. self defense within their own home)

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Pursuant to North Carolina state law, any person who resides with a minor and owns or possesses a firearm stored or left: 1) in a condition in which it can be discharged; and 2) in a manner that the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised minor would be able to gain access to the firearm, is criminally liable for a misdemeanor if the minor gains access to the firearm and:
  • Possesses the firearm on educational property;
  • Exhibits the firearm in a public place in a careless, angry or threatening manner;
  • Causes personal injury or death with the firearm, except in self-defense; or
  • Uses the firearm in the commission of a crime.3
Under state law, a retail seller or transferor must deliver a written copy of state law relating to storage of firearms to protect minors to the purchaser or transferee with every firearm transfer.4 A retail or wholesale store or outlet that sells firearms must conspicuously post at each purchase counter the following warning:
”IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STORE OR LEAVE A FIREARM THAT CAN BE DISCHARGED IN A MANNER THAT A REASONABLE PERSON SHOULD KNOW IS ACCESSIBLE TO A MINOR.”5

I quoted the two 'ands' and five conditions that were left out of the original statement that started this abortion of a thread. Both 'ands' and two of those conditions must be met in order for the owner of a firearm to be guilty of a crime should a minor get their hands on it.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No problem. I'm going to withdraw from the discussion regarding California and shooting ranges as those aren't relevant, IMHO, based on the OP.

I was just looking at the first four posts on the thread that started this. Im going to quote the ones I think are relevant. Again...not arguing or smacking down here.

1) ' Its a crime in NC to leave a gun where a minor can get their hands on it. '

This statement, as it is written, is false. It is overly broad and does not take into account cases where the minor would be within their rights to acquire the gun. Neither does it take into account cases where the minor illegally acquires access to the gun even when secured properly. What it DOES do, however, is narrow the scope of the discussion to NC.

2) 'You’re wrong on your first assumption - it’s not a crime to leave a gun where a minor can get it.'

This statement would have been better if it said "its not always a crime to leave a gun where a minor can get it." However, as written it is correct, IMHO. We had already narrowed the discussion to NC based on the first post in the thread. And, in NC, there are several circumstances where a minor would be within their rights to acquire a gun and it not be a crime. (ex. self defense within their own home)

That’s why I said “technically”. If I misquoted him, please point that out.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
And if you leave the vehicle, the handgun must remain in an enclosed compartment inside the vehicle. Dittos on the felony, too, and you know how educators go full-on rabid gun stupid when they see a gun. You got lucky that time. If anyone had seen that shotgun they would have gone full-on lockdown, everybody take cover, there's a madman on the loose, call SWAT team, and your mug shot would have been on the news for days.

Edit to add: and then the Sheriff comes to your house, confiscates all your guns, and you will never be allowed to touch another gun for the rest of your life.

I love it, another dumb blanket statement about educators, so I guess that would make you a (never mind) being from Wake County.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I love it, another dumb blanket statement about educators, so I guess that would make you a (never mind) being from Wake County.

When the statement is correct about 95% of the time its ok. Why do stereotypes exist to begin with? Ans: because they're accurate when applied to a large enough sample size.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When the statement is correct about 95% of the time its ok. Why do stereotypes exist to begin with? Ans: because they're accurate when applied to a large enough sample size.

Well, that tells me what the admin thinks about the educators that frequent this site.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

When students are suspended for drawing a gun....or making a gun gesture with their finger and thumb.....

.....the “stereotype” becomes the pitifully sad example of where we are.

They’ve earned the backlash.