Leaving a gun unsecured in a motor vehicle

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Its a crime in NC to leave a gun where a minor can get their hands on it.

Should there be criminal penalties to leaving an unsecured gun in an unlocked vehicle?

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Its a crime in NC to leave a gun where a minor can get their hands on it.

Should their be criminal penalties to leaving an unsecured gun in an unlocked vehicle?
You’re wrong on your first assumption - it’s not a crime to leave a gun where a minor can get it.

Reactions: DRS

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No brainer to me, legality has little to do with it. I screwed up one time, left my truck in the WM parking lot in New Bern one morning and hitched a ride with a friend to a 3D tournament. Came back and my GPS was gone.....but my Sig was still in the console. Learning experience that could have been a lot more costly. If I'm not in it I lock it.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I am still new with guns and I would never, ever leave one in my car, even locked and in the trunk where it can't be seen. You just never know. Someone could still break into your car. If I am going hunting or trapping after work during the open seasons, I can change into my hunting clothes and pick up my gun at home. If I'm going before work, I can easily leave my gun at home before I drive to work. Also, I live out in the country, so I don't worry so much about break-ins at home. Totally different story in the city where I work. I always lock my car there. But I'd never leave my gun in my car even at home.

Maybe it is different for those of you who carry. I do not. I only own a .22 and a shotgun for hunting and dispatching animals in traps (with the .22) and I'm not interested in carrying. Just a personal preference. To each their own.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My comment (in the other thread) about unattended/unsecured guns left in cars always elicits negative responses from certain people and I get it - believe me. I've got A LOT of experience dealing with that mindset.

I've got a SIL that had a pistol stolen from her car and she promptly went out and bought another one .... and promptly continued the practice. I've got one word for these folks ....... CLUELESS.

In another similar vein, I can't tell you how many times I've been involved in the investigation of break-ins and burglaries where the perp used the victim's own tools (left readily unsecured and available) to facilitate his crime. I saw some crime-scene pics of a case a couple of weeks ago where the occupants woke up with a perp in their house. The intruder decided to make a hasty getaway but left a large machete on the kitchen floor on his way out. Yep - the machete belonged to the homeowner who stated they routinely leaving it laying around outside.

I've had numerous conversations on the subject with career criminals - they're quite often particularly forthcoming when questioned. They're quick to disclose they can readily find a gun in an unattended vehicle when they need one. Same goes for those that like to break-in/burglarize stuff. They have no need to carry burglary tools around with them (which could expose them to scrutiny or even arrest) as they're often readily left lying around.

I could go on and on but you either get it or you don't.

The point (the only relevant point) is simple: I can't keep myself (or anyone else) from getting shot or carved up, but IT SURE AS HECK WON'T BE WITH MY GUN OR MY MACHETE that I left laying around.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I am still new with guns and I would never, ever leave one in my car, even locked and in the trunk where it can't be seen.
If I had a choice ... I wouldn't either.
But we have stupid laws that forbid carrying your firearm -- even those investigated out the ying-yang -- in some places. So, hiding it in a locked vehicle is the only other option to leaving it locked up at home.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Not part of discussion but a bad deal happened up here in Henderson county.

deputy shot and killed with a homeowners firearm that was in a stolen vehicle.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Also caused a gunfight between homeowner and suspect. Something to think about. I never ever ever leave any of mine in the car.

I don’t want to arm the sumbitch coming in my house.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I could go on and on but you either get it or you don't.

The point (the only relevant point) is simple: I can't keep myself (or anyone else) from getting shot or carved up, but IT SURE AS HECK WON'T BE WITH MY GUN OR MY MACHETE that I left laying around.
That's my thinking.
1) Guns are worth money, I wouldn't leave my laptop or Camera where it was easy to steal either if I could avoid it.
2) I have to recognize that unlike my Camera or ipad, when it leaves my possession to that of a criminal, there are no legitimate arguments for THAT person having that weapon; he has it to perpetrate a crime or pass it on to someone else for the same purpose.

I'm not saying I never leave it in a locked car, out of sight, but I don't if I can avoid it.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Guy I know had his handgun stolen from his truck, in his driveway, midday, while he was home. Got it back maybe a couple of years later. Seems like he said SBI or some agency had engraved something on the metal(does this sound correct any past or present leo here?). It was used in a murder, returned after trial according to the owner. Don't want to have that on my conscience.
Another story...a cousin..no relation, had a G19 stolen from a glove compartment during the night...about 2 blocks from me in a good neighborhood. Outsiders have been coming into the neighborhood for years breaking into cars, outbuildings, etc. The one that broke into my truck was caught and sentenced as a habitual felon. Too bad shooting him in the back would likely have been bad for me. I was about 15 yards from him with him directly under a street light when I surprised him. Sorry pos. He got a couple of checks that led to his undoing...but no gun. I think vehicles in neighborhoods are broken into more than people realize.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I leave guns, laptops, tablets, etc. in my LOCKED vehicle all the time. If I want to swing by the courthouse or kids school, I just do it. I'm not gonna go all the way home to put it in the safe, just to go where I can't carry. If someone breaks in and steals anything, that's why I carry comp insurance. If it's later used in a crime, oh well, criminals will be criminals. If they want a gun, they can get one. Maybe we need a law where criminals can't possess one

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
How about a hatchet, mower blade, clawhammer, jawbone of an ass, etc?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Well, technically you’re wrong, too.

No, not really. Leaving it where a minor can get it is only illegal if one of the other events occur. Absent one of the additional circumstances- perfectly legal.

On the face of the statement, his proclamation isn't accurate.

the words “and” along with “if” are important.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Went turkey hunting on a Sat on April, then on the way home stopped to play in my usual pickup soccer game at a local middle school. Looked up about an hour later and the school parking lot was full of police cars, lights flashing, cops walking around everywhere. Panicked, thinking someone had seen the shotgun in the back of the (locked) truck and called it in. Asked what was gong on, the officer said there had been vandalism, painting on the school. Climbed in the truck and drove home. Hid the gun under stuff after that.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Went turkey hunting on a Sat on April, then on the way home stopped to play in my usual pickup soccer game at a local middle school. Looked up about an hour later and the school parking lot was full of police cars, lights flashing, cops walking around everywhere. Panicked, thinking someone had seen the shotgun in the back of the (locked) truck and called it in. Asked what was gong on, the officer said there had been vandalism, painting on the school. Climbed in the truck and drove home. Hid the gun under stuff after that.
Playing with Fire there....

Clark

Ten Pointer
Yeah, firearms on school property. I worry about picking up the grandkids from school with firearms in the car. Believe it is OK as long as the car is locked, but still...