Leasing hunting land?

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I had my eyes opened when I listed and sold a tract of land a few years back, buyer didn't come to closing and had delivered a check the previous week for over a million...It blew my mind and I have seen the same a few times since...It's simply supply and demand...Just this year I have sold tracts I've listed to people from NY, Florida and California...

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If the trend continues here with the rampant push to develop even the most rural areas of NC, lease rates are not going to matter. I am seeing things I never thought I would in my lifetime. North Carolina is done I am afraid

I'm afraid you are correct on that. Seems everybody is into "progress" and bringing more industry and more people into NC but they aren't doing anything to expand the state to have a place to accomodate them. I am hoping my little corner of NW Granville will be safe from the mess and the growth south of me will only make what I have more valuable. The uniqueness of this area is hardly anything will perk. When I bought the county man said he would OK my septic permit on 185 ac. only if I added another 100 feet of drain field and that no other houses could be built on the place. The guy next to me finally found a spot to perk on his 21 ac. but he ended up having to put in a lift station to send crap about 80 yards, uphill. The further you get north of Oxford the more difficult it gets to find a perk site unless you are real lucky.

Southern

Ten Pointer
I'm afraid you are correct on that. Seems everybody is into "progress" and bringing more industry and more people into NC but they aren't doing anything to expand the state to have a place to accomodate them. I am hoping my little corner of NW Granville will be safe from the mess and the growth south of me will only make what I have more valuable. The uniqueness of this area is hardly anything will perk. When I bought the county man said he would OK my septic permit on 185 ac. only if I added another 100 feet of drain field and that no other houses could be built on the place. The guy next to me finally found a spot to perk on his 21 ac. but he ended up having to put in a lift station to send crap about 80 yards, uphill. The further you get north of Oxford the more difficult it gets to find a perk site unless you are real lucky.
Triassic Soils!!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Whatever you say......... but I love it. Try to dig a hole more than 10 inches deep and you will wreck a set of post hole diggers.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If the trend continues here with the rampant push to develop even the most rural areas of NC, lease rates are not going to matter. I am seeing things I never thought I would in my lifetime. North Carolina is done I am afraid
Nc was done a decade ago...she was just too stubborn to lay down and die. Now all the google and amazon freaks are migrating here and she's pretty much done digging.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Perhaps this should be the start of another thread, but curious on what the answer would be? Considering the other thread about selling/buying land and the skyrocketing price there, and the above stating NC is done; are the opportunities truly dying in NC?

If so, what's the alternative? Buying/leasing land out of state? As someone who is working hard to save enough money to buy 30 or so acres in 5 years, are my options truly withering away each passing day?

timber

Twelve Pointer
Perhaps this should be the start of another thread, but curious on what the answer would be? Considering the other thread about selling/buying land and the skyrocketing price there, and the above stating NC is done; are the opportunities truly dying in NC?

If so, what's the alternative? Buying/leasing land out of state? As someone who is working hard to save enough money to buy 30 or so acres in 5 years, are my options truly withering away each passing day?

You should have plenty options. That 5000 and up a acre some talk about on here for raw land is not representative of the whole state. But a lot will depend on where you want to buy it at

Southern

Ten Pointer

I would normally say that if a buyer wanted to wait a few years, there would be some opportunities to buy at lower prices than today. But I have been predicting a recession for 5 years now and I have been wrong about that. I wonder with Google, Apple, Microsoft, Vinvast, Boom, Toyota, just to name the most obvious ones, and the hundreds and hundreds of support companies they bring with them, not to mention all of the transplanted Californians, New Yorkers, Floridians, fleeing weather, crime, etc., will it ever slow down? Is this the new gold rush? I am starting to wonder. It will have to be a mighty big recession to slow the NC train down as far as real estate goes.

Bourbon Bowhunter

Four Pointer
Ive had fun reading all the posts in this thread!! Im now going to jump in and see if I can get lucky!! You never know unless you ask…. If anyone on here has a lease or club in Vance, Granville, Person, Wake, Durham or Orange Counties that is looking to add 1-2 bow hunters please let me know. Thanks

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns

The price is getting ridiculous is many areas.

I’ve saved a large chunk of change over the last decade just to buy land.

I’m picky on location and what I’m looking for. So I’ve probably missed a couple decent deals. But in the end m, it wasn’t what I wanted.

Made an offer on my hunting lease to buy (thread about this awhile back). Owner said it was a fine offer but he wasn’t interested in selling at the moment. No harm no foul. He said I can lease as long as I want.

It all depends on what part of the state you are looking in. My criteria (land within 2 hours of Hickory, Nc) definitely limits me. If I was willing to push it to 3-5 hours I could get much cheaper land. But when it’s that far away. How much are you going to get to use it??

Southern

Ten Pointer
When you start looking at “cheap” land at todays prices, you are looking at $3000 per acre. A few years ago that was $1000 land. A hundred acres starts to be alot of money based on that and a hundred acres is not alot of land. Chances are unless you have a unique situation, 100 acres will still offer some heartburn from neighbors, etc. so step up to 300 acres and you are pushing a million bucks. That takes the fun out of it quickly.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
The price is getting ridiculous is many areas.

I’ve saved a large chunk of change over the last decade just to buy land.

I’m picky on location and what I’m looking for. So I’ve probably missed a couple decent deals. But in the end m, it wasn’t what I wanted.

Made an offer on my hunting lease to buy (thread about this awhile back). Owner said it was a fine offer but he wasn’t interested in selling at the moment. No harm no foul. He said I can lease as long as I want.

It all depends on what part of the state you are looking in. My criteria (land within 2 hours of Hickory, Nc) definitely limits me. If I was willing to push it to 3-5 hours I could get much cheaper land. But when it’s that far away. How much are you going to get to use it??
your spot on about the 3-5 hour range. I have access to some great hunting property but its 4.5 hrs each way. i still go down a good bit but i cant just decide to go down at 5 after getting off for the weekend.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When you start looking at “cheap” land at todays prices, you are looking at $3000 per acre. A few years ago that was $1000 land. A hundred acres starts to be alot of money based on that and a hundred acres is not alot of land. Chances are unless you have a unique situation, 100 acres will still offer some heartburn from neighbors, etc. so step up to 300 acres and you are pushing a million bucks. That takes the fun out of it quickly.
And then the outsiders flow in. And that's why NC is done.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
^The outside influence has had a major effect but there are plenty enough in the state with deep pockets to tie up a bunch of land. Next door to me is a now 600 ac. tract owned by a guy towards Burlington. Down the road a few miles there is around 2000 ac. belonging to a real estate guy from Fayetteville. A lot of big money folks in-state are spending money on large tracts or are putting large tracts together.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Well, if you are ever up this way visiting him drop by. I'm only a couple of miles as the crow flies but more like 5 or 6 on the hardtop.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Ha Ha Ha....... I thnk I understand your meaning. Welcome any time. May even be able to do some business someday.

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
We are fast becoming a state of housing developments. The growth of NC in the last 10 years is ridiculous. I know of three different farms that have been bought up by developers and now they are putting up slab track houses as fast as they can , and that’s in Just the last year. I don’t even want to think about what this place is going to look like in another decade.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
About 6 months ago I went down to White Lake. It was the first time I had been down 96 through Johnston Co. in about a year prior. The number of developments that had gone up and were going up was beyond belief. There had to be at least 15 being put in at that time. If you are going to make moonshine in Johnston Co. these days, you had better have a basement.

Southern

Ten Pointer
We are fast becoming a state of housing developments. The growth of NC in the last 10 years is ridiculous. I know of three different farms that have been bought up by developers and now they are putting up slab track houses as fast as they can , and that’s in Just the last year. I don’t even want to think about what this place is going to look like in another decade.
Central NC has been fairly immune the last 10 years. Sanford, Lillington, Asheboro, etc are blowing up. I hate to say it but I am hoping for a major recession. It wont last but at lease there may be some buying opportunities