Late winter projects

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Just curious what's on everyone's list of improvements to their hunting property before spring kicks into gear and the mosquitoes start herding up.

For me it's all about clearing bedding area to try and keep more deer on my property.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Getting ready to blow leaves off the plots... in lieu of frost seeding with chicory and clover in about a month or so

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Doing lots of bushogging for turkey season. We always mow strutting areas they use from year to year.
I can't wait for turkey season, I'll have to see how things grow in my fields before I know if I need to cut it back a little...right now the deer are doing a great job of keeping it mowed

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
We started a little redneck architecture yesterday.

I’ll be pulling down the ladder stands & a tower made from old scaffolding & 2x10’s next weekend.

Planning how we’re going to re-position things for next season.

Attachments

• 5F677575-3952-4322-A2F8-0E2B8B871A85.jpeg
    5F677575-3952-4322-A2F8-0E2B8B871A85.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 24

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It's an ideal time to cut shooting lanes right now. I make sure my favorite turkey spots are cleared of deadfalls from winter storms, of course there's winter weather coming later in the week.

Jim

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
liming
building a couple new box stands
picking rocks out of a few acres of new food plot areas
repairing a bridge
repairing about 400 yds of eroded farm trails
trimming back trails
minor repairs to tilling & planting equipment
servicing tractor and ATVs

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I was finally able to get a one acre section of our 4 acre clover field planted. I was able to plant 3 acres of it in October but this section was to wet. I planted it yesterday with wheat and clover like the rest of the field. Glad I was able to do it before this rain.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Got a 22acre section of Loblolly burned. Gonna do 2 tracts of Longleaf totaling about 15acres in next few weeks before new growth shows up.

Planted a 1/4acre area of a food plot to “close it in”, it’s very open at one of the narrow ends against a path. Put in wax myrtle, dogwood, persimmon and blueberries. Hoping it’ll be good bird cover and food, gonna add some grasses underneath. Planted a mixture of oaks on two small areas after a logging operation in 2019.

Have a road/creek crossing to repair, again. Put in a 36” in 2007, too steep on ends, gonna put two 16-18” ones in and make a spillway in same bottom area. Only gets that bottom flooded during hurricanes.

Gonna girdle some Lob and Gum in a few areas, open canopy for oaks in and under. Mo akerns!! And no Lob/gum seeding into Longleaf!!