oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Jan 1
My fishing friend was a deer fanatic. I didn’t care about them
But we finally got a huntable population
So I hot my toes wet
I killed a few in an area where no one had ever seen much less killed one
But I wanted to experience his hunting which I couldn’t relate to

he had 1100 acres of family land that only he hunted. He reluctantly took me one year. In the middle of a grown up ag field four does pop out. While watching them a ten pt with a swept back beam steps out

I shoot him my friend comes by to drag and the first words out of his mouth are “I ain’t never bringing nobody else.”
It’s in the Work shop collecting dust one of the last shoulder mts i had

I’ll send you a pic it is very unique.

creekhobo

Ten Pointer
You ever see him again? That’s what pains me is letting all these 110-120 inch deer go and never seeing them again
I saw him a couple times that season and the last hunt of that season.
Creek do I have your permission to use your pic to screw with a couple of buddies....lol
Yes, I'll PM you some more pictures of him to make it better. :)

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Never killed a big deer in December…of course I don’t hunt Dec much anymore but did for 2/3 of my hunting career.

ps Food wise, red oaks and pin oaks are still faint regularly in many parts. Seen them just this week

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The latest I ever shot a buck was December 23, the latest I ever killed a doe was December 28. I missed a nice 8 point New Year's Eve running with a doe . I was sitting over a fresh scrape at the time. My son killed a doe New Year's Day. When I went over to help him a big buck and doe ran by me.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I was wondering if anyone is starting to see bucks getting back in bachelor groups and are y'all having any bucks show back up that have been gone during the rut?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Where I hunt ... Thanksgiving.

But I keep trying because YOU NEVER KNOW.
They get hungry and gotta eat.

Reactions: jug

huntngolf

Six Pointer
I think alot of it has to do with how much they've been pressured if they will still move during daylight in December. If a place hasn't been pressured lately and get a good cold front hopefully they will be moving in pm to eat

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Daughter got her first buck on Sunday! Pretty decent deer for first. One of the bigger bodied bucks I’ve seen come off our lease.

interesting trail cam photos. She had fallen asleep and woke up 30 seconds before buck showed up, he somehow snuck up on us and was only 15 yards when we saw him. By the time we got the gun out the window of the box he was going directly away. Had to wait a while for him to turn. She made a great shot and dropped em as you can see.

Attachments

• 3939EB89-7A36-41A7-9B62-1A79336BE4DA.jpeg
    3939EB89-7A36-41A7-9B62-1A79336BE4DA.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 1615127A-402C-434A-A658-67FE98F1EF1A.jpeg
    1615127A-402C-434A-A658-67FE98F1EF1A.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 4E1625C6-A0FD-450E-82AE-BB2A25DA36AA.jpeg
    4E1625C6-A0FD-450E-82AE-BB2A25DA36AA.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I shot at a “doe” that became a last minute buck just this afternoon. :ROFLMAO:

Not exactly what I intended to do, but still meat in the freezer. Thinning out some does is one of our goals over the next few weeks. Hope the next one I shoot doesn’t turn into a last minute buck, but I’m sure I’m not the only one to do it this season.

As a serious answer, a nice 8 was killed on Sunday at our place, 12/12.

Attachments

• 6ECB2C13-7F51-48C4-9116-1143F315DFA4.jpeg
    6ECB2C13-7F51-48C4-9116-1143F315DFA4.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I've got a buck I shot last day of season like 10 years ago, I had a thread on it but it's so old it's not in the history when I search for it. He was on camera 10/12 of the last days of season. Im mostly bow but decided I'd get 30 ft up with a shotgun cause I didn't know what direction he came from. I ended up taking a "frontal" ;) shot 1 hour before dark with buckshot and he died at 60 yards. Buck was a fighter, blind in 1 eye, scars and eye socket fractured when did the euro.