LaRue brand ar-15 trigger for 87 bucks

BattleBornNV

Button Buck
That’s a great price. Wow.
I’ve been running Timney’s forever but for that price it’s worth a shot for sure.
Ordered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfer

Four Pointer
I ordered mine in early July and it was on backorder for a couple weeks. It arrived Saturday. After the quick install, IT IS MY NEW FAVORITE trigger. Holy cow it is a good trigger for $87. I wasn't a fan of two-stage triggers until now. I may order a second one just to set on the shelf for a rainy day.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I too often misquote the fact that the MBT is the best trigger out there "for the money", when in fact it would be a good trigger at twice the price.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Purely from a quality standpoint, how does it compare to the SSA-E?

To be quite honest, it's as good as any 2-stage AR trigger out there that's suitable enough for duty-use. I've certainly felt lighter triggers (meant for competition) but as to the quality of construction and the predictability of the break, it's an A+ in my book.

I have a trigger in another rifle that cost three times as much, and I'm just a bit perturbed at myself for making that purchase after experiencing the MBT.

As to durability, I have absolutely no concerns in that regard:

ETA: Like most things, subjectivity defines what is "best" for most of us and trigger pulls are no exception.

In my mind there are no only two categories of triggers worth discussing; single stage and 2-stage. Within those two types of triggers, the only variables that you can manipulate (meaningfully) are the sear engagement and the weight of pull.

So having said that, I feel a little bit like someone is pissing on my leg when I see them offering a dozen or more different trigger options. It's mostly marketing hype IMO.

Last edited:

BattleBornNV

Button Buck

To be quite honest, it's as good as any 2-stage AR trigger out there that's suitable enough for duty-use. I've certainly felt lighter triggers (meant for competition) but as to the quality of construction and the predictability of the break, it's an A+ in my book.

I have a trigger in another rifle that cost three times as much, and I'm just a bit perturbed at myself for making that purchase after experiencing the MBT.

I bought one to drop into a stag 3-gun build (that is not being used for competition) that I switched directions on half way through. I’m really looking forward to getting some range time behind this trigger. The platform drives tacks already but you really need to be on your trigger control game to do so. Think it’s set to 7 tons currently. [emoji23]
Should be able to gather up some consistency with the La Rue. Hopeful

a9bc9340f746cd9a9c142d8a746bce55.jpg

Last edited:

BattleBornNV

Button Buck

I bought one to drop into a stag 3-gun build (that is not being used for competition) that I switched directions on half way through. I’m really looking forward to getting some range time behind this trigger. The platform drives tacks already but you really need to be on your trigger control game to do so. Think it’s set to 7 tons currently. [emoji23]
Should be able to gather up some consistency with the La Rue. Hopeful

a9bc9340f746cd9a9c142d8a746bce55.jpg

Edit: Finally received my trigger from LaRue on 8/17. Quite the backorder. Anywho I installed it immediately and headed out to give it a whirl. I’m honestly pretty darn impressed. It rivals triggers twice the price at least. Very clean break. Ordered 2 more.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought another one as a "spare" (that's gun-speak for justifying another rifle purchase) and got it in about a week since I ordered on the first day of the announced sale.

I also put in two for a family member last week and one of the triggers being replaced was a Geissele Combat 2-Stage that costs almost twice as much. He viewed the swap as an upgrade.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Would this trigger work for self defense or is it more of a target trigger?

I guess "duty use" also means self defense?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Would this trigger work for self defense or is it more of a target trigger?

I guess "duty use" also means self defense?

Yes, this trigger is suitable for duty/self-defense use as long as the operator has sufficient trigger finger discipline. Mil-spec trigger pulls are heavy for a reason and I think we all know why.

The first stage of the pull is about 2 - 2.5 pounds, so you get some discernible feedback that the trigger is moving. The second stage starts at a clean "wall" and only requires another 2 pounds +/- to break. Unless you and your AR are set-up for some really precision shooting requirements, I don't think you'll be hindered in the least with this trigger.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had done considerable work to the stock trigger that came with my AR. It was tolerable. Dropped in the LaRue....no comparison. It breaks like glass and really does make a considerable difference in accuracy.

Last edited:

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
All my AR's save my match rifle have MBT-2S installed. My match rifle has a Geissele and I'd say there is very little difference between the two. The G trigger isn't a necessity for match shooting.