Large land owners that a pro hound hunting

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Couple of guys and myself were sitting around the other morning rambling. We were talking about how many dog clubs have come and gone in the last 20 years. All of them were lost due to landowner restrictions and not legislation. We were trying to come up with a list of which large landowners (timber companies) were hound hunting friendly or pro dog hunting. I would say Weyheasur (sp?) Is the biggest landowner that is pro hound hunting but is my understanding that some of their leases in Lousiana had lost dog running rights, could be wrong on that. With that said, what companies do you know of that are welcoming to clubs running on their leases? What do you see the long term outlook being for dog hunting on timber land in NC , 15 to 20 years down the road? Interested in herself from of dog running buddies on this board all across the state.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The issue with timber companies is that hunting leases aren’t their main revenue so I wouldn’t trust their stance on deer hunting with dogs. If they could get more revenue leasing to a different type of hunter, what do you think they would do?

Reactions: DRS

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The issue with timber companies is that hunting leases aren’t their main revenue so I wouldn’t trust their stance on deer hunting with dogs. If they could get more revenue leasing to a different type of hunter, what do you think they would do?

You've missed the point of this thread.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I think the position of several of the land owners in the southeastern part of the state changed over the last few years. They always claimed to have this long list of folks wanting land. Sure, they wanted all the beautiful oak flats and river front property with great access and open woods they could find. But when they started showing them what was actually for lease a lot of it laid open for several years. Those companies now look at dog clubs a lot different.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think the position of several of the land owners in the southeastern part of the state changed over the last few years. They always claimed to have this long list of folks wanting land. Sure, they wanted all the beautiful oak flats and river front property with great access and open woods they could find. But when they started showing them what was actually for lease a lot of it laid open for several years. Those companies now look at dog clubs a lot different.

Those were my exact thoughts. Not every tract of club land is a hardwood river bottom surrounded by bean fields. We're talking set out pine woods for miles. Its next to impossible to still hunt some of the land my 3 dog clubs have. I am hoping that with GPS and monitoring ourselves that we are creating good relationships with the large timber companies. They will be essential to us being able to continue doing what we do.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have think some of the large timber companies tolerate dog hunting more than I would say they support it. I know that Weyerhaeuser has mentioned that if we had trouble paying the leases that they would be glad to lease a few thousand acres of land on the fringes to a still hunting only group. Now, that raised a few eyebrows.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have think some of the large timber companies tolerate dog hunting more than I would say they support it. I know that Weyerhaeuser has mentioned that if we had trouble paying the leases that they would be glad to lease a few thousand acres of land on the fringes to a still hunting only group. Now, that raised a few eyebrows.

Northern Dismal ? Not exactly prime still hunting land but I'm sure someone would lease it. I know a number of years ago International paper banned dog running on their tracts. Also more recently Sunoco which owned a lot of land in the Pre Dee region of South Carolina banned dog hunting. In tje Sandhills it seems to be more of a case to case basis with big land owners and the clubs. We had a large lease a number of years ago we lost dog running on but I know for a fact the paper company still allows dog running on other tracts they own. I have been trying to come up with a way to openly work with large land holders as a dog hunting community to hoepfully preserve our sport. As I've said before without leases from large paper companies dog hunting in North Carolina will ne over.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I understand but want would be happy hunting box stands on the road networks and piling corn down the roads. The timber/paper companies are more concerned about lawsuits from adjoining land owners. Hunting is becoming more and more a competition on who can kill the largest buck. Big bucks have always been a bonus, but not the main drive to hunting. That change of face is going to be our own doing in, of all hunters.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Have you seen what some folks are doing with the sporting dog associations? I know the Brunswick County Sporting Dog Association has become very active. They are changing some folks opinions due to good publicity. Dog hunters are going to have to learn to promote the good they do. The average citizen, especially a lot of the imports, have no idea what it is all about.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Northern Dismal ? Not exactly prime still hunting land but I'm sure someone would lease it. I know a number of years ago International paper banned dog running on their tracts. Also more recently Sunoco which owned a lot of land in the Pre Dee region of South Carolina banned dog hunting. In tje Sandhills it seems to be more of a case to case basis with big land owners and the clubs. We had a large lease a number of years ago we lost dog running on but I know for a fact the paper company still allows dog running on other tracts they own. I have been trying to come up with a way to openly work with large land holders as a dog hunting community to hoepfully preserve our sport. As I've said before without leases from large paper companies dog hunting in North Carolina will ne over.

Here is an article about them. Ray is a dear friend, more like a 2nd father, so if you are interested I can get you in touch with him.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I know Ray and most of them very well. I ran the field trial circuit with many of them for years. Solid group, we need more like them.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Ray is the one that got me into field trialing. The 2nd 3 day I ever attended was when he won the Virginia State with Kimme C and placed Pencil 5th. My wife was there and pregnant with our daughter. She actually celebrated her 1st birthday at Pooles. I think it was the East Coast but I'm cant remember for sure. Some great times and great people back then.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I am just getting back into field trials and pen running in general. I was pretty heavy into it around 2005 up until 2014-15. Many new faces today compared to then, still a few of the guys around I knew. I have seen Ray at a few hunts here and there. Having a competitive fox dog isn't for a man with limited spare time or a limited budget. I took my deer dogs to the pen back in the summer to let them get some energy out and my 2 year old son loved it. Fast forward to now and I'm back slowly but surely getting back into it. Not quite ready to take him deer hunting just yet but so far he is loving watching the dogs run in the pen.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have personally seen in the last few days why dog hunters get a bad name, same guy I have seen post stuff on YouTube that makes me cringe. Stuff like that is just a black eye for us. Dozens of trucks on the road and blocking the road so NO ONE can get by. GW having to yell at them to move their vehicles. I mean they were acting like they had the ROW.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have personally seen in the last few days why dog hunters get a bad name, same guy I have seen post stuff on YouTube that makes me cringe. Stuff like that is just a black eye for us. Dozens of trucks on the road and blocking the road so NO ONE can get by. GW having to yell at them to move their vehicles. I mean they were acting like they had the ROW.

gamelands? my crew reported to me that there was a bunch on slate rd and they were NOT a friendly crowd

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
gamelands? my crew reported to me that there was a bunch on slate rd and they were NOT a friendly crowd
Yep, and they had Crawford Lake rd. wrapped up most of the day to the GWs rained on their parade. Phil got tired of them running over his private land and had Scotland Co. Hp and GWs and thinned them out on him quick.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yep, and they had Crawford Lake rd. wrapped up most of the day to the GWs rained on their parade. Phil got tired of them running over his private land and had Scotland Co. Hp and GWs and thinned them out on him quick.

Thats a bad look right there.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I am just getting back into field trials and pen running in general. I was pretty heavy into it around 2005 up until 2014-15. Many new faces today compared to then, still a few of the guys around I knew. I have seen Ray at a few hunts here and there. Having a competitive fox dog isn't for a man with limited spare time or a limited budget. I took my deer dogs to the pen back in the summer to let them get some energy out and my 2 year old son loved it. Fast forward to now and I'm back slowly but surely getting back into it. Not quite ready to take him deer hunting just yet but so far he is loving watching the dogs run in the pen.
Yeah, we went hard from 1999 until around 2010 or so. When I stared if you worked hard and had a good dog you could get your name called. Now granted, that was running fox. The coyotes showed up and then the guys with the deep pockets and it quickly became a money game. Either had to have a "posse" or lots of cash to compete. Went from being hound hunter field trialing to basically professional field trialers. I judged quiet right before I got out and when I saw what was really going on with the yotes, well, lets just say that was pretty much the end for me. For years I drove to Pooles, Creedmoor, Pamplico, Manning etc.........Then they build a pen within 3 miles of the house, Hallsboro, and I give it up.