Land leasing is getting ridiculous in NC

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've never had an issue on the Jordan Gamelands yet thankfully, and there are some really rich people who live near the gamelands. I think just being polite and educating the public that hunters support conservation with our money really goes a long way with the ignorant people. Most people have no idea we support wildlife more than them...
well that sounds great and is a very positive way to approach it.
those rich cats though for some reason aren't big fans of you hunting in their "back yard". That strip of public between them and the lake is supposed to be theirs.
I see their point but you gotta know that is possible when you decide to live there. Look for them to want and get even more restricting discharge distance regs to keep the rif raf at bay. Or at least out of their piece of "lakefront."
Hunt those places while you can. It'll be ending.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pisgah is the worst. It’s getting bad even in Haywood county now. People just don’t have a clue. I’ve been asked if I have to pay extra to be allowed to hunt there. And why does my dog have an weird collar (Garmin tracking). I’ve had people try to take my dog last year because they said If I was a hunter I abused my dog.... I said listen lady that dog sleeps on my couch and I’ve got a gun you really wanna play this game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's gotta be a Mountain Hippy thing.

I've walked my dog past two soccer moms walking the Goldendoodle while I was carrying a shotgun on Falls Lake in Wake Forest. I've tipped my hat at joggers on the road near Jordan Lake or Harris in Apex, Holly Springs, etc while I'm putting my blaze orange on. Never had a word other than "Get anything?"

And the collar thing...Have they never seen an invisible fence? Long before I ever hunted or knew much of anything about hunting, or dogs, my neighbors had the same collar for their Bichon and the invisible fence. I walk around Five Points or Oakwood in Raleigh and people have GSP's that have never seen a wild bird and likely never will and they have shock collars on, because (and this is a direct quote from one of the Lululemon wearing dog moms) "All the google image pictures show 'em wearing them and sometimes he ignores me when I tell him to."

What the hell is a lululemon???

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I’m with you, everyone has an equal right to public land it may be frustrating to hunters but it is what it is.

But don’t push your ideas on me and I won’t on you.

We hike all summer and run into all kinds of people that want to know what the collar is and say that’s pretty neat and go about their day.

Most of the time they can’t believe that he just doesn’t run off and never come back.

You ever been to DuPont? Can be interesting hunting with the friends of DuPont

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m with you, everyone has an equal right to public land it may be frustrating to hunters but it is what it is.

We hike all summer and run into all kinds of people that want to know what the collar is and say that’s pretty neat and go about their day.

Most of the time they can’t believe that he just doesn’t run off and never come back.

THAT Sir is an understatement... there are some real winners up there....

ditchbank

Banned
Luckily the land I hunt, the liberals will never move to. I can’t say why on here but trust me. They never will. Gonna be deer forever and I live it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: jug

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Luckily the land I hunt, the liberals will never move to. I can’t say why on here but trust me. They never will. Gonna be deer forever and I live it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You sir are very lucky then.;)

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

Yeah I’ve been there. A buddy lives across from the Oscar blues farm. We house sit and hike over there when we do. Last time I moved a good size copperhead off the trail and people were freaking out that I moved it off the trial.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I find this thread very interesting. Perfect example of supply/demand. Everyone I know in NC, MD, PA has the same complaints about lease prices...they are going sky high. I think many folks don't realize just how many more hunters there are on the East Coast than Midwest/West. For comparison, I live in the best place on earth for giant whitetails, Southern Iowa. believe it or not, leases (and even permission) are not that hard to come by. I have 3 different leases currently in 2 of the best counties in Iowa. i pay $8, $9.50, and $14/acre. Why? Number one, despite what you see on TV, there aren't that many people that live in Iowa, and it is very difficult and expensive for a nonresident to hunt here, so pressure/demand for hunting land is actually much lower than NC. Going one state further west, I'm looking at leasing a big farm in NE for $6/acre. Again, NE has even fewer people, and Nonresident tags are $600. Just south of me in MO though...leases are routinely going for $25+/acre. Demand is much higher. MO has over the counter cheap nonresident tags, so the prices leases command goes up a bunch. In Ohio I have seen leases for $40/acre...look at the map. Ohio even closer to East coast, over the counter cheap nonresident tags...demand is extremely high.

berryman26

Six Pointer
well that sounds great and is a very positive way to approach it.
Look for them to want and get even more restricting discharge distance regs to keep the rif raf at bay. Or at least out of their piece of "lakefront."
Hunt those places while you can. It'll be ending.
I agree there is a threat to our public access, which is why I joined BHA and plan to do what I can to ensure the access stays how it is as long as I'm around.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I find this thread very interesting. Perfect example of supply/demand. Everyone I know in NC, MD, PA has the same complaints about lease prices...they are going sky high. I think many folks don't realize just how many more hunters there are on the East Coast than Midwest/West. For comparison, I live in the best place on earth for giant whitetails, Southern Iowa. believe it or not, leases (and even permission) are not that hard to come by. I have 3 different leases currently in 2 of the best counties in Iowa. i pay $8, $9.50, and $14/acre. Why? Number one, despite what you see on TV, there aren't that many people that live in Iowa, and it is very difficult and expensive for a nonresident to hunt here, so pressure/demand for hunting land is actually much lower than NC. Going one state further west, I'm looking at leasing a big farm in NE for $6/acre. Again, NE has even fewer people, and Nonresident tags are $600. Just south of me in MO though...leases are routinely going for $25+/acre. Demand is much higher. MO has over the counter cheap nonresident tags, so the prices leases command goes up a bunch. In Ohio I have seen leases for $40/acre...look at the map. Ohio even closer to East coast, over the counter cheap nonresident tags...demand is extremely high.
You ever need a turkey hunter to help pay them deer leases let me know no interest in the deer

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Ohio leases are nuts. My buddy and 2 others paid $5400 for 150 acres. They shot one 130" buck on it. A guy I used to work with bought 80 acres in Ohio back in the late 90s. Built a small cabin on it. He hunted it for about 15 years. Now, he leases it out by the season. He gets $2500 for archery and $1500 for the gun season and $1500 for turkey!