land for lease for 2019-2020 season

wigeonman1

Button Buck
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum as most already I'm sure know. So ill get right to it.

I'm on the hunt for possible land leases for next years duck season. Myself and a partner have decided that we would like to lease a few properties, but I'm having trouble finding lease opportunities. The only thing I've been able to stumble across so far is land for sale, while I'm not entirely saying that we are not interested in a purchase we would rather lease first then consider purchase. We would also be willing to consider blind leases if anyone has any info on that as well. If any of you guys have any helpful info, shoot me a message or reply to post thanks in advance.

Reactions: HJH

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly, for what a good lease costs, especially if your looking for more than one, you could buy one helluva property and make it what you want it to be.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
I would not buy anything in NC or the hopeless Atlantic flyway for that matter. But that is a subject for another day. Only club I would want to join in NC is Neupamba and that opportunity will never present itself. Could check Pat Simmons or Bob Hester in Hyde. Jones island in Pamlico county.

wigeonman1

Button Buck
thanks for all the input guys keep em coming...we however aren't interested in the local clubs, more private something that we can control ourselves, of course under the supervision of land owner if need be. as far as purchase of a property, that is not completely ruled out but as stated before we would like to lease for a year then look further into purchase. thanks again guys.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Finding a good quality lease is going to be pretty tough. Reason being is not too many people giving up a good impoundment lease unless their priorities change. And even then, lessee probably has a friend or someone that would take it over in a heartbeat so it never gets advertised. There probably will be some leases in Hyde but I’d want the harvest history before I committed. Lot of non productive places around there but you probablylnow that.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
That why it was so cheap
thanks! i know nothing abt it so was just curious. looks like several other impds are right near this one. are they no good also?
had a friend do a youth hunt right near there couple weeks ago. said there were a ton of dux

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
thanks! i know nothing abt it so was just curious. looks like several other impds are right near this one. are they no good also?
had a friend do a youth hunt right near there couple weeks ago. said there were a ton of dux

Never base your opinions of an impoundment in Hyde county based solely on how it performs in the snow or youth day!

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Never base your opinions of an impoundment in Hyde county based solely on how it performs in the snow or youth day!

all i said was friend hunted an impd right beside the one that sold. he had a great hunt. are you saying all these impds in that area are bad? or just the one that sold? just want to be clear

Southern

Ten Pointer
Youth day is ALWAYS a completely different hunt. In short generalities, look at the weather now. They all pretty much suck if you look at trends with the exception of a few legacy clubs

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
You can’t say all impoundments in a given area are bad but I seriously doubt that one was a good one. Price is too low, that is not the best area for consistent numbers and it’s on the market. Typical north is better than south and east better than west. Although Heron Bay is an amazing property and it’s on the southwest corner but adjacent to the lake. When it sold it never “went on the market” and sold for millions. Historically good impoundments do not go on the market, they basically have an established waiting list of “rich folks”. If you see some random reality company with impoundments for sell in Hyde there is a reason. Lastly, remember all impoundments are good on snow days and most are good on youth day.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Youth day is ALWAYS a completely different hunt. In short generalities, look at the weather now. They all pretty much suck if you look at trends with the exception of a few legacy clubs

suck is in eye of beholder. I used to think if u weren’t killin mallards n Blacks ur hunt sucked. Once ur holes n swamps dried up or dux quit using ur perspective changes. Now u come to Hyde and if u aren’t shooting pintails widgeon n gads many think u had a shitty hunt. Some think shooting a limit of teal n spoonies in Hyde is fine while others turn their nose. But I have been very fortunate when I have hunted in Hyde and killed a ton of dux. I will say most of impds that aren’t very “good” are still better hunting than 70|80% of what most other duck hunters in the state have imho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
You can’t say all impoundments in a given area are bad but I seriously doubt that one was a good one. Price is too low, that is not the best area for consistent numbers and it’s on the market. Typical north is better than south and east better than west. Although Heron Bay is an amazing property and it’s on the southwest corner but adjacent to the lake. When it sold it never “went on the market” and sold for millions. Historically good impoundments do not go on the market, they basically have an established waiting list of “rich folks”. If you see some random reality company with impoundments for sell in Hyde there is a reason. Lastly, remember all impoundments are good on snow days and most are good on youth day.

Thx for the info. I will say I have hunted NE n E impds and they have been really good hunts. One bad hunt was still better than most decent hunts back in Piedmont . Had a friend hunt Nuepambay 3 days last week of this season. One good hunt. 2 very poor ones. Like so many places if weather not right even the Best clubs have bad days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Southern

Ten Pointer
I used to own a couple of impoundments in Hyde. I also did alot of hunting land business up there for years. I went from killing 500 ducks or so a year in my impoundments to killing less than 10 each of the last 3 years, with zero changes in my management. No spoonie snobbery here just pure duck numbers. I was not in the minority either. Yes, 50 ducks a year is alot to some people but I rented my impoundment one of the last years for $30,000 and they killed 10 birds. I am trying to give realistic expectations based on the trends up in that region now. Everybody thinks they can go up there and do better than the last guy on the same impoundment but you cant. Approximately 1500 impoundments up in Hyde now, the odds are you will get one that sucks. Mine used to be great, went to hell consistently, and I sold it . I could have kept it and continued to rent it but I did not want to be like the other guys up there. Nobody wants to hear the truth about killing birds up there but the truth is what it is. Yes there are lots of birds but killing them is a different story for most impoundments and the big issue now is the cost/benefit calculation. Is 50 birds worth $20,000???

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
I used to own a couple of impoundments in Hyde. I also did alot of hunting land business up there for years. I went from killing 500 ducks or so a year in my impoundments to killing less than 10 each of the last 3 years, with zero changes in my management. No spoonie snobbery here just pure duck numbers. I was not in the minority either. Yes, 50 ducks a year is alot to some people but I rented my impoundment one of the last years for $30,000 and they killed 10 birds. I am trying to give realistic expectations based on the trends up in that region now. Everybody thinks they can go up there and do better than the last guy on the same impoundment but you cant. Approximately 1500 impoundments up in Hyde now, the odds are you will get one that sucks. Mine used to be great, went to hell consistently, and I sold it . I could have kept it and continued to rent it but I did not want to be like the other guys up there. Nobody wants to hear the truth about killing birds up there but the truth is what it is. Yes there are lots of birds but killing them is a different story for most impoundments and the big issue now is the cost/benefit calculation. Is 50 birds worth $20,000???

Spot on. Most honest statement I have read in a long time.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
you missed what I was getting at

ain't paying 20k to kill ducks,,whether its' 50 or 500,,,to many to kill elsewhere with more satisfaction all around,,,

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Atlantic flyway is the most expensive place per duck to hunt. I have a couple of small but reasonably productive impoundments in Hyde adjacent to the refuge. sometimes I kill ducks, sometimes I don't. I spend a lot of time on the sound; sometimes I kill ducks, sometimes I don't.

Started going out of the country on hunts that are much less than Hyde county club memberships. Man do I kill ducks.

Pic 1 - Jan 30,2019 nothing but pintail drakes cupped up in the decoys
Pic 2 - solo hunt Feb 15 2019 constant groups of decoying redheads

much more fun, way less money.

Attachments

• 0131191059_HDR.jpg
    0131191059_HDR.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 0215191139b.jpg
    0215191139b.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 89

Southern

Ten Pointer
At the current price of impoundment leases, it better equate to killer if you hope to continue to lease it out.
Wrong and that is exactly my point with the "New crop of idiots every year" statement. I have first hand consistent knowledge of several impoundments that absolutely suck that have been rented to a new group almost yearly, sometimes after two years, constantly now for 20 years. I have hunted them, observed them, and have routinely gotten calls after the season from the hunters looking for a new place. Ducks are like crazy hot women who have been married many times. There is always somebody waiting to get in there and they always think it will be different for THEM but $30,000 and a year later they understand the situation. It is really getting mind boggling what people will pay now and how blissfully ignorant they are when they get advice from people who have been there. Ducks really are powerful creatures.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
dang reverse immigrant!!
It is true, I am what you claim. Most have no idea what awaits them south of the border. 70 degrees and sunny - no problem, the ducks fly in daylight. Full moon - no problem the ducks fly in daylight. Why do the immigrants come here come here when they have peak plumage birds, liberal limits, and lead shot and corn is legal? I am at the border waiting to go the other way.

Glad the Hyde county magnates do not control pricing.