Lake waccamaw

Coondog33

Button Buck
How’s the fishing in lake waccamaw for panfish and cats? I’m moving close to there soon. Trying to find some spots close to the house to take the kids and catch a few.
thank y’all

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Years ago I was there a bunch. Never enough to catch to make it worth it.
I like the the boat riding and looking for the gators there.

Was wondering the same about cats. Thought it would be cool to return and target cats some day.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
She'll cracker are on fire right now. Big bluegill next month. Pumpkin seed next month also. White perch anytime. Anchor boat and wade the flats for the sunfish. Locate the birds and throw almost anything for the perch . Never really caught many catfish except for the occasional bull head . Plenty of crappie in the canals at certain times of the year.

Coondog33

Button Buck
She'll cracker are on fire right now. Big bluegill next month. Pumpkin seed next month also. White perch anytime. Anchor boat and wade the flats for the sunfish. Locate the birds and throw almost anything for the perch . Never really caught many catfish except for the occasional bull head . Plenty of crappie in the canals at certain times of the year.
[/QUOTE
Thanks for the information, yeah I need to get a little jon boat, I sold mine before I moved to Alaska.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Have not fished the lake much lately but it’s got nice shellcracker, white perch and bass. I have caught a few cats years ago in the big creek using live bait while fishing for crappie also.

Coondog33

Button Buck
Years ago I was there a bunch. Never enough to catch to make it worth it.
I like the the boat riding and looking for the gators there.

Was wondering the same about cats. Thought it would be cool to return and target cats some day.
Yeah I’m looking for a nice place to get my kids on some nice size panfish and such! I should be moving around the first of June.

Coondog33

Button Buck
Have not fished the lake much lately but it’s got nice shellcracker, white perch and bass. I have caught a few cats years ago in the big creek using live bait while fishing for crappie also.
Thanks, I can’t wait to get out and see what me and the kids can do!

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I have not fished there in 8 years but I did grow up fishing that lake. I lived about 1/2 mile from the big boat ramp on the west side. Fished and bowfished quiet a bit. I have heard a lot of the grass died after they used herbicides on the hydrilla several years ago. Don't know for sure. If you have a boat with a good side scan unit you can find some deeper brush piles and do pretty good. What we all call "the grass" around the edges is just one of those things you need to learn. Some spots better than others and it can and will change from year to year depending on water depth.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Keep us posted. I want to make a trip sometime before it gets too hot.
Good place for a boat ride and just float and do some fishing.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a cousin and his dad that live on one of the lanes just off the lake. Many years ago, my cousin and I put on waders and fished around the lilly pads with Bream Buster poles. Caught a good many nice 'uns. I'm only about an hour away now, and Waccamaw is on my bucket list to infiltrate with my kayak.

Dan in NC

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Are you fishing from boat? Not much bank fishing to be had. From a long pier you can catch a few cats, perch and gars that come shallow at night. I used to drift fish for the white perch caught tons of them. There are a few places around that sell minnows. We used to seine them over by river dam and some sandy beach areas. We sold house there and havent been back in 3 yrs.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I have a cousin and his dad that live on one of the lanes just off the lake. Many years ago, my cousin and I put on waders and fished around the lilly pads with Bream Buster poles. Caught a good many nice 'uns. I'm only about an hour away now, and Waccamaw is on my bucket list to infiltrate with my kayak.
Probably more panfish caught wading than any other method in "the lake" as those of us raised there call it. Most of them have probably spawned and moved back out. You may be able to find some grass perch still bedding though. Fishing around some of the deeper grass just before dark can still lead to some pretty nice catches. I always preferred the grass over the pads. Not sure why. Probably just because I like fishing the back side the most.