Lake Tillery

tomtom

Spike
Started fishing Tillery since March. Early on caught lots of cats on worms, then shifted to bream for bait which was great for cats. As fall kicks in any advise on the fishing patterns? Will the cats ease off or will they be biting through fall? Not sure when the breams will stop biting. Whats next for bait? Does tillery have shad? Do stripers kick in?

Any help and advise on fall through winter fishing would be great. Gotta keep my son busy...

Attaching a pic of my first longnose I caught last week.

Thanks
T
1324cb6bba5608c7a35d766f2204c34b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You are just approaching the absolute best time for flatheads, blues and channels bite year round. Shad can be caught year round for bait, so can white perch.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Heck yea..it just now turn fishing season. My buddy and I fished Tillery one night with 6" of snow on the ground. We caught 33 blue cats that night and 75% of them was over 20lbs and the biggest was 41-42lbs. Yes it was cold...about 11-12 degrees. We use to have it bad! We stayed all night long many a night in the winter down there.

tomtom

Spike
You are just approaching the absolute best time for flatheads, blues and channels bite year round. Shad can be caught year round for bait, so can white perch.
Any advise on where and how to catch the shad? Up north we use to use shining jogs. Here I'm not sure.

tomtom

Spike
Heck yea..it just now turn fishing season. My buddy and I fished Tillery one night with 6" of snow on the ground. We caught 33 blue cats that night and 75% of them was over 20lbs and the biggest was 41-42lbs. Yes it was cold...about 11-12 degrees. We use to have it bad! We stayed all night long many a night in the winter down there.
Great to know.. do the cats still stay in the coves or i need to go deeper? I'm in a cove average range about 15-25 feet.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Great to know.. do the cats still stay in the coves or i need to go deeper? I'm in a cove average range about 15-25 feet.

Blues thrive in current. We was up river that night and they had the flood gates open. Gizzard shad will become your friend in the winter. Perch is okay but mix it up and let the fish tell you what they want when you can. Bait at Tillery can be a pain in the winter but its there. There is times coves are good but I would focus on the main river channel ledges for winter time blues. A lot of fish will move down river in the winter also but don't over look up river for a big fish either....esp. when the flood gates are open. Muddy water don't hurt either. I caught a few stripers up river in the spring on cut bait from time to time.

littlee22

Spike
You could save a lot of time and money if you hire a guide to show you where and how to fish tillery. There are several guides on tillery. You can look them up on youtube, One is E&E Guide service , he did a TV Show with Carolina All Out on catching cat fish on lake tillery . The other is Flathead Finatticz he has several videos on lake tillery.