Lake Tillery Shad

tomtom

Spike
Tried Shad fishing for first time in lake Tillery. Dont have a sonar so I randomly went around a cove.. I was actually lucky to catch 13 shad... but that took a few hours..

Any pointers on where to catch these fish? I don't have a sonar so I'm just going to have to try some spots I guess.
6aed538d27f5ffad8251e7d4c3fb2410.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cam

Four Pointer
Tried Shad fishing for first time in lake Tillery. Dont have a sonar so I randomly went around a cove.. I was actually lucky to catch 13 shad... but that took a few hours..

Any pointers on where to catch these fish? I don't have a sonar so I'm just going to have to try some spots I guess.
6aed538d27f5ffad8251e7d4c3fb2410.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Get you a throw net and learn to read fish finder catch a net full in a few min. I fished Tillery yesterday caught 2 flatheads and 1 blue biggest 24 pounds midday but boat traffic was bad.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Without sonar, your best bet may be to try at night, around lighted docks. Those with spotlights shining down on the water are often the best. The darker the night, the better, in my experience.

todobien

Eight Pointer
I've not heard of folks intentionally fishing for gizzard shad - netting them yes. Shad fishing I think of hickory and white shad in the spring.

I may be missing out on another fun fish

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I've not heard of folks intentionally fishing for gizzard shad - netting them yes. Shad fishing I think of hickory and white shad in the spring.

I may be missing out on another fun fish
I assumed the OP was talking about netting them. I've never heard of people fishing for gizzard shad on hook & line either. I wonder if a sabiki rig would work though. I've caught a bunch of "greenbacks" (saltwater threadfins) jigging sabikis off of NC piers.