Lake Gaston

piratesretreat

Button Buck
Happy New Year Everyone. I have left a message for the local game warden but thought I would ask the question here. It's about impossible it seems to find the hunting regulations for Lake Gaston. Since its not game land I was wondering if anyone on here knew the regs for waterfowl hunting up there.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Have stayed off private property and away from homes. Be respectful of those that live there. Haven't hunted there in a few years but there are some pretty spots.

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
For what it's worth, I don't believe there are any specific regs that apply to the entire lake (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The normal Federal / State waterfowl regs apply. Any specific rules as to legal distance from dwellings would be local or county ordinances as opposed to being for the entire lake. So Warren County, Halifax County, Northampton County, etc. could in theory have different rules. I'm not aware of specific county rules up there, but as a general rule of thumb, I would stay roughly 150 yds away from houses and don't hunt out of someone else's duck blind and you should be fine.

Talltine

Button Buck
The western end is quite bit less built up and makes things a lot less sketchy unlike the eastern half which is loaded with houses. It’s been a few years but I recall a few permanent blinds on the west side too. No clue if you can/should hunt them.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
The western end is quite bit less built up and makes things a lot less sketchy unlike the eastern half which is loaded with houses. It’s been a few years but I recall a few permanent blinds on the west side too. No clue if you can/should hunt them.
Yeah the eastern end is pretty residential, leaving one to mostly hunt the islands. If you want to hunt one of them, you better set an early alarm! Personally, I'd look at Kerr or RR lake, depending on which end you're coming from.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Yeah the eastern end is pretty residential, leaving one to mostly hunt the islands. If you want to hunt one of them, you better set an early alarm! Personally, I'd look at Kerr or RR lake, depending on which end you're coming from.

When hunting the less populated side of LKG - be careful of the VA line. You had better know where you are on the lake.
RR lake is a dead zone as of yesterday. A couple of ruddy ducks and a scattered diver left. Not to mention water is WAY down. This is what a port 9 dozen decoys look like when the water goes away and they settle over on their keels. We had to push an 18 foot jon boat through 4 to 5 inches of water with a mucky bottom for 400 yards.

20190119_170244.jpg20190119_165827.jpg