Labor Day Doves

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
20210906_110208.jpg

We did alright today probably cause we didn't hunt the field Saturday. Tried the tactacam out for the first time. Hope I got some footage. Even heard a young turkey kee keeing in the woods. I tried to yelp back some but never saw it.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Slow yesterday for us. Apparently everywhere around us too. The morning was just dead calm, and it seemed like they were never going to start flying. It always amazes me how they can be flying good at sunset on Saturday, and by Monday morning, they've gotten the message. There was less shooting all around yesterday than typical on Labor Day.

At 5 years old this guy is darn good. He’s been pretty good at doing his job in the dove field since he was young, but now he understands exactly what he’s supposed to do before being told. Our recovery rate is considerably higher because of him, and watching him do water retrieves on the ones that fall in the pond is a joy.
06EFCD2E-4865-4D87-B404-2006ACE105D5.jpeg

Last edited:

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Slow yesterday for us. Apparently everywhere around us too. The morning was just dead calm, and it seemed like they were never going to start flying. It always amazes me how they can be flying good at sunset on Saturday, and by Monday morning, they've gotten the message. There was less shooting all around yesterday than typical on Labor Day.

At 5 years old this guy is darn good. He’s been pretty good at doing his job in the dove field since he was young, but now he understands exactly what he’s supposed to do before being told. Our recovery rate is considerably higher because of him, and watching him do water retrieves on the ones that fall in the pond is a joy.
View attachment 73638
That’s a good looking dog

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Our Monday morning shoot was consistent but slow. There were lots and lots of birds in the field Sunday evening, guess they got their bellies full. They took forever to start flying at all. Scratched out 10 and lost a few to cutover. Daughter ended up with 7. She took my gun again and left me with youth 20. Probably would have limited if I had my 12!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I seldom invite anyone to shoot my place here at the house. Ever since my shoulder surgery, a buddy has shown up at the house and helped me on the farm without me ever asking for it. I invited him to shoot yesterday evening. We should’ve easily limited but he was shooting one of my 28’s for the first time. Ended with 24. 14BBA282-0F34-40B7-BADB-D079010D11F5.jpeg