lab having mammary gland chain removed...recovery???

Bruiser

Old Mossy Horns
I'm worried sick about my mama dog...FBL.

found a lump on her front mammary gland about the size of a golf ball. Took her to the vet and three additional(very small) lumps were found by the vet.

Plan is to remove the entire mammary chain. Of course I am going to do and spend what it takes to help my girl out.

Anyone have any experience with this procedure....mainly recovery time.

Thanks

hunter930

Six Pointer
Asked the wife (Vet Tech) she said it may go home same day, few days of recovery, nothing big for maybe 2 weeks.(Hunting). Request pain medicine before leaving. GOOD LUCK!

rem1148

Haven`t had the whole chain removed but did have a hound cut under her brisket by a hog and had to remove a couple tits and some mammary gland with them. She didn`t know they were gone. Heeled up with rest of cut, no problems. Hope it solves your problem and you keep her for many more years!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I had to have this done on my lab. She had to have several glands removed. She did pretty good and expect a couple of weeks to be up and about. Like people, some dogs advance better than others. Take short walks and she will follow.

Dan in NC

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Bruiser, I had a Setter several years ago with mammary cancer with lymph node involvement. She had bi-lateral masses that felt like bean bags under 4 tits. Vet removed therm and cautioned that metastasis was likely. In about 10 to 12 months she started getting weak in her rear end and yellowing around eyes, she metastasis to liver and probably other organs. I fed her anything she would eat, but she was failing fast and I had to put her down.
I had the option when he did the surgery of treating her as you would a human with biopsies and radiation/chemo treatments. I elected not to do that. The initial surgery left a fair wound that healed ok and for about 10 months she did well. The vet should be able to give you some idea about metastases. It can get expensive.